Rumors > Lenses

UV filter for 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II?

(1/4) > >>

IWLP:
Yes, I filter my lenses, and I'm looking for one for my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II.  Do you guys have any recommendations or favorites when it comes to UV filters?  I've been looking at the B+W F-Pro filter.

Thanks!

LuCoOc:
Hi!
i don't have a particular filter to recommend since i don't have an overview about all the filters availlable. however i'm using an hoya hd 67mm uv filter for my 100L and am satisfied with what i see :)

my advises are:
1.) you've probably spend 2500$ on your lens wich is build out of 23 single lenses. that's more than 100$ each lens and about the budget i would spend on a filter if i wanted to use on on a 70-200mm.

2.) i don't own this lens but this german website (http://www.traumflieger.de/objektivtest/open_test/canon_70_200_28_is_II/overview.php said at the end of their review filters (even slim filters) will cause vignetting with this lens.

MK5GTI:
yeah, i second the HD hoya line, either UV or just clear protector. they are really strong!

87vr6:
I have 4 lenses for my 5D2, the 24-105, 17-40, 50 1.4, 85 1.8. On all four there is either a Hoya UV or CPL filter. I know B&W are extremely good, but on the other hand, no one has ever told me my picture was ruined by my Hoya filter.

CR Backup Admin:

--- Quote from: IWLP on April 07, 2011, 09:54:37 AM ---Yes, I filter my lenses, and I'm looking for one for my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II.  Do you guys have any recommendations or favorites when it comes to UV filters?  I've been looking at the B+W F-Pro filter.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

If you are going to use a filter, buy a filter wrench at the same time.  They are cheap, and help remove filters when they seem to be stuck.  Also consider getting a large diameter filter and step down rings so that you can fit several lenses with one expensive filter.

The use of a UV filter is a subject that many users feel strongly about.  The lower quality filters can definitely degrade your image as well as cause flare or other nasty issues, so, if you must have one, get a high quality one with a mrc coating.  The mrc coating reduces reflections and is less prone to flare.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lens-filters.htm

B&W is a excellent brand, Kenko (Hoya) are also good.  I also have a Heliopan 77mm filter that is supurb, but in a higher price range.  Brass rings are said to reduce binding of the threads, but get filter wrenches anyway.

Buy from B&H or other reputable dealer.  Counterfits are said to be all over ebay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version