April 19, 2014, 01:18:21 AM

Author Topic: Another Spec List for the Entry Level Full Frame EOS  (Read 22970 times)

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Another Spec List for the Entry Level Full Frame EOS
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
Its interesting that the framerate is only 3.9fps with that Digic5+ (if any of these are true of course). I'd love to see at least 5.

They could cripple it down to 3.9 fps or so. 5D Mk III fps is 6 so 5 will be too close. But it will be nice to have 5 fps.

It would be so cool if adding a battery grip "unlocks" the new FF camera to say 6 FPS  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 01:37:43 PM »
I to have several 16gig SD cards for my 450D I like that most computers and even my iPad has an SD adapter.  I've had 1 card go bad in like 5 years. So not sure why people hate them other than CF being so much more expensive.

As for this camera I hope for closer to 5FPS but basically plan on this being my next body.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 01:41:06 PM »
Its interesting that the framerate is only 3.9fps with that Digic5+ (if any of these are true of course). I'd love to see at least 5.

They could cripple it down to 3.9 fps or so. 5D Mk III fps is 6 so 5 will be too close. But it will be nice to have 5 fps.

It would be so cool if adding a battery grip "unlocks" the new FF camera to say 6 FPS  8)

+600EX RT = +1 step ISO up
+EF with F<1.4 or focal > 300 = +1 DR
+WFT + all above= +100% movie fps etc....
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
I to have several 16gig SD cards for my 450D I like that most computers and even my iPad has an SD adapter.  I've had 1 card go bad in like 5 years. So not sure why people hate them other than CF being so much more expensive.

As for this camera I hope for closer to 5FPS but basically plan on this being my next body.

As Ive written before, there are adapters CF-SD, that could take our SD cards. Ive just watched some video on youtube of a guy doing a review of this kind of adapter on 7D. Sure, its much slower then 600x CF cards, but for stills its great. I havent got any problems with my SD cards. Ive been using one 4GB since Ive gotten my DSLR - I replaced it because I broke it accidentaly  ;D

CFs are more expensive because they are faster (faster transfer rates) - thats why they are ideal for shooting FHD video.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »

Could be a welcome feature - but I doubt it. I guess such a grip would cost above 350 USD.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

norcalniner

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
I would be in.. But the build quality would at least be on par with the 7d. A main reason I have upgraded from my rebel was because of the plastic build. I know the rumor before was that it may be a bit more plasticky.. In which case I'll continue to save for the 5dmkIII.

NotABunny

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
Max 5D3 ISO is  102400

Rumors (and announcements) so far have used the maximum analog ISO, not the digital "High mode" value (because that's not actually an ISO; it's still the maximum analog ISO but underexposed and pulled up in post).

Having a 51200 maximum makes me think that they will use the sensor design from 1DX. If the official price will be 2000 USD, I'm interested again.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 02:18:16 PM by NotABunny »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

takoman46

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
Max 5D3 ISO is  102400

Rumors (and announcements) so far have used the maximum analog ISO, not the digital "High mode" value (because that's not actually an ISO; it's still the maximum analog ISO but underexposed and pulled up in post).

Having a 51200 maximum makes me think that they will use the sensor design from 1DX. If the official price will be 2000 USD, I'm interested again.

I think "maximum" is defined as expanded and not native ISO, as in "H1" and "H2". There is not way that a cheaper FF body will have a better native ISO range than the 5D3. Instead, it will probably be ISO 100-12800 native w/ H1-25600 and H2 - 51200.

dogstardigital

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
I love this concept, and have been waiting for an under $2k FF for a while. Being vested in Canon with a 40D and 4 lenses, I needed to up my image quality and my least expensive option in FF was the 5DII. I think the sensor delivers, but found the AF was terrible when I was shooting action (i.e. Roller Derby or Musicians in a badly lit venue). I find the only things I would change about the 5DII are to give it better AF & drop the video function. Granted, the video is a nice touch, but as a PHOTOgrapher, I have no functional need for it. I hope they take the 5D build and remove some bells & whistles and make it into a good, responsive FF still camera. I'm not at the point in my career to be shelling out the money they ask for the FF's currently on the market containing bells & whistles like video, but could really use another body to compliment the one I have. As for frame rate, to me the 5D line is/was a portrait/landscape/studio camera, and the 3.9 frame rate is quite ample. Lastly, a 5D revamp vs. the 7D would allow for CF use OR adapted SD use and possibly prompt sales of speedlights. The 7D build would theoretically stick you with only the SD option.

tomsop

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
I am confused - some are speculating the cost will be $2500.  Mark III is now selling for $150 less than MSRP.  If you are already shelling out $2500 bucks, wouldn't the marginal dollar difference work towards just getting the Mark III now and not having to wait half a year for a stripped down full frame?

I have an old Rebal Xsi and happened on this site when I wanted to learn more about my upgrade options.  I have waited for several months and I prefer to stay under $1K.  I am not happy with the t4i but still waiting to see how the mirrorless camera shoots video. 

On the other hand, I am thinking of getting a man purse and just going with the EOS-M.   

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

Smells like Nikon to me...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

libertyranger

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »
If this camera has the same 18mp sensor as the 1DX, would the image quality be the same?  Or does the dual processor in the 1DX make for a better image?  I'm curious about RAW performance here.  If it is the same sensor as the 1DX and the IQ is the same, then would this new full frame have better IQ than the new 5D. 

I am currently saving for the 5D Mk. III, however, I would gladly get this if the IQ is similar.  I mainly do portrait photography and would be happy with the AF system described here among the other rumored specs.

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »
If this is the camera you're looking for, why not just pick up a 5DmkII right now?
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

mathino

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 03:39:45 PM »
Max 5D3 ISO is  102400

Exactly as I think  :) Max ISO was always used as max native ISO so basicly max analog ISO. Expanded ISOs are only digital tweaks.

If this comes true - 18 MPx sensor from 1D-X - then Im even more interested.

...and giving customers same sensor in lower end body doesnt mean it would cut out sales of 5D Mk III or 1D-X. It would be a consumer FF with less features (little crippled). Those cameras are completly different segment. And maybe a pro with 1D-X or 5D Mk III would buy one "6D" as a cheaper backup.

bbasiaga

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »
I am confused - some are speculating the cost will be $2500.  Mark III is now selling for $150 less than MSRP.  If you are already shelling out $2500 bucks, wouldn't the marginal dollar difference work towards just getting the Mark III now and not having to wait half a year for a stripped down full frame?

I have an old Rebal Xsi and happened on this site when I wanted to learn more about my upgrade options.  I have waited for several months and I prefer to stay under $1K.  I am not happy with the t4i but still waiting to see how the mirrorless camera shoots video. 

On the other hand, I am thinking of getting a man purse and just going with the EOS-M.   

I think I started the $2500 thing - here is my thinking.  It would seem unlikely that Canon would sell a 'better' camera than the 5dMKII for less money.  We haven't seen any direct successors coming out cheaper than their replacements in quite a while.  So, they could further drop the price of the MKII to take that price slot over and therefore allow the successor to come in at the same price point.  Or, they could reduce the spec of the camera in a meaningful way to make the new price point make sense (plastic body?...what else could give?).  Or, they could introdue a slightly better successor at a higher price, say $2500. 

I'm purely speculating that the spec list shown seems too good to be true at $2000.  So in my hypothesis either the price is higher or there is something else that must give in the overall package to hit the price point.  Pure speculation.  I actually hope I'm wrong.  $2000 I can swing as a hobbyist (I've been saving for 3 years).  Much more and I'll have to wait until its used for that price. 

-Brian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 03:40:10 PM »