September 16, 2014, 07:48:20 AM

Author Topic: Another Spec List for the Entry Level Full Frame EOS  (Read 25449 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Another Spec List for the Entry Level Full Frame EOS
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »
If this camera has the same 18mp sensor as the 1DX, would the image quality be the same?  Or does the dual processor in the 1DX make for a better image?  I'm curious about RAW performance here.  If it is the same sensor as the 1DX and the IQ is the same, then would this new full frame have better IQ than the new 5D. 

The processor does not (should not, at any rate) affect RAW IQ.  But, that doesn't mean they'll have the same IQ.  Firmware does play a role in RAW IQ, and Canon could handicap a new FF camera with the 1D X's sensor in some way (not that I'm cynically suggesting that).  One example, the spec list says the sensor may be 18 MP and the max ISO is 51200, which is two stops shy of where the 1D X goes.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
The processor does not (should not, at any rate) affect RAW IQ.  But, that doesn't mean they'll have the same IQ.  Firmware does play a role in RAW IQ, and Canon could handicap a new FF camera with the 1D X's sensor in some way (not that I'm cynically suggesting that).  One example, the spec list says the sensor may be 18 MP and the max ISO is 51200, which is two stops shy of where the 1D X goes.

Agree, firmware play a role in RAW output - so they could cripple it down a bit (which also seems quiet plausible).

...in terms of max ISO, depends on how we read max ISO. It could be max native (analog) ISO or max boosted ISO (like H2 setting).

Well, as Yoda stated in SW: "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is." We need to wait, something else (info) will surface in 2-3 weeks  :)
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
I DO NOT want the 7d's crap AF system. Instead of shooting with my 7d, its been a glorified paperweight for 6 months. Been back to canon 3 times. Refuses to consistently focus. That system sucks.

the 7d has a great form, and is a joy to use, but those high noise images and af trials have me ready to trade it in.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
I DO NOT want the 7d's crap AF system. Instead of shooting with my 7d, its been a glorified paperweight for 6 months. Been back to canon 3 times. Refuses to consistently focus. That system sucks.

the 7d has a great form, and is a joy to use, but those high noise images and af trials have me ready to trade it in.

I lol'd when you said the 7D's AF was terrible. The 7D's AF is the bee's knees. 8)

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »

I borrowed 7D from my friend and it had no problems with AF - always spot on. Ive used 70-200 f/4 L, 85 f/1.8 USM and 10-22 on it and no problem with any lens. Ive shot couple of wedding photos for friend of our family - they were pleased and they printed my photos (he told that my photos were beter then from official photog - well photog was shooting with flash, some sort of Nikkor DX zoom and D200).  I havent done AFMA because I had it only for weekend, but Im sure it could be even more precise. But that depends on body...I guess.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

libertyranger

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 04:44:35 PM »
If this camera has the same 18mp sensor as the 1DX, would the image quality be the same?  Or does the dual processor in the 1DX make for a better image?  I'm curious about RAW performance here.  If it is the same sensor as the 1DX and the IQ is the same, then would this new full frame have better IQ than the new 5D. 

Thanks for replying.  In the case of the capped ISO, would the ISO range of 100-51,2000 be the same as the 1DX's ISO 100-51,200 range?  Or would they scale the Image quality toward 51,200 on this new full frame to be the same as the 1DX's 200k.  I suppose this is all speculation.  However, it would be nice to see the same physical sensor in this new body, even if it has a lowered max ISO.

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »
Thanks for replying.  In the case of the capped ISO, would the ISO range of 100-51,2000 be the same as the 1DX's ISO 100-51,200 range?  Or would they scale the Image quality toward 51,200 on this new full frame to be the same as the 1DX's 200k.  I suppose this is all speculation.  However, it would be nice to see the same physical sensor in this new body, even if it has a lowered max ISO.

Well, Ive quickly found a youtube video with info about native ISO.

http://youtu.be/wUahw9kGUeQ

You can check it. Its about video shooting but it gives a little light about it.

For photography native range is for example 100-51 200 - higher (or lower) means that its amplified by camera itself, its not in the analog range of sensor.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:02:11 PM by mathino »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »

Sounds like you had a lemon.   I would be thrilled with a lower cost FF with the 7D's AF (assuming the other specs meet my needs of course).   Being a current 7D owner, it sure would make it smooth going back and forth between bodies. 

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »

Wait wait wait wait wait wait.  7D crap AF system?  Then you mention high noise images?  Well, I hope you are not linking the AF system with high noise images?  The AF system is spectactular on the 7D.  High ISO is not.  The two are not related.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

tbisu

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

Unfortunately our experience has been the same. 2-3 out of 10 images sharp and in focus where they should be. Sent in to Canon in January, and still the same problems when we got it back. Just sent it in for the second time.

This entry level FF is looking better by the day...assuming Canon can retain us as a customer.

Videoshooter

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
I think I started the $2500 thing - here is my thinking.  It would seem unlikely that Canon would sell a 'better' camera than the 5dMKII for less money.  We haven't seen any direct successors coming out cheaper than their replacements in quite a while. 

Well, this camera would not be the direct successor to the 5dmkII, so it is entirely feasible that it would come out at a lower price.

The one thing I think would be missing on a cheap FF at this price point is build quality - it would still be good, but not at the same level as the 7D. After all, not even the 5dmkII has the same weather sealing as the 7D.

I'd be perfectly happy with a 1Dx sensor in a body with 60D build quality, if it came in under $2000.
5dmkII, 60D, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 150-500mm.

libertyranger

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2012, 09:50:55 PM »
I think I started the $2500 thing - here is my thinking.  It would seem unlikely that Canon would sell a 'better' camera than the 5dMKII for less money.  We haven't seen any direct successors coming out cheaper than their replacements in quite a while. 

Well, this camera would not be the direct successor to the 5dmkII, so it is entirely feasible that it would come out at a lower price.

The one thing I think would be missing on a cheap FF at this price point is build quality - it would still be good, but not at the same level as the 7D. After all, not even the 5dmkII has the same weather sealing as the 7D.

I'd be perfectly happy with a 1Dx sensor in a body with 60D build quality, if it came in under $2000.

Yep, I'll take that beastly sensor from the 1DX, even if the max ISO is neutered :)

stipotle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »

Yep, I'll take that beastly sensor from the 1DX, even if the max ISO is neutered :)

+1000
please please please.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:35 PM »

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »

That would be the best case for me too.  I hear folks speculate on Rebel type build...not sure I'd want that.  I'm too spoiled by the controls of the xD and xxD series.

-Brian

kennephoto

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »
Heres my question. I really want to get into full frame do I buy a 5d2 now before they are gone because its a great camera or wait for this potential new entry full frame. I shoot everything, and currently I make my 50 and 40d work but I just really want to have a full frame digital! I wonder how the new entry full frame will compare to the 5d2.
Canon 5d Mark II Canon 1D classic EOSM 20-35 2.8L 50 1.2L 135 2.0L 80-200 2.8L 40 Pancake and a bunch of old film cameras

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »