September 14, 2014, 10:25:27 PM

Author Topic: "Time for a Change at Canon?" -Barons  (Read 17349 times)

whatta

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: "Time for a Change at Canon?" -Barons
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:38 AM »

I have posted before, that if you are unhappy with Canon's offerings, you should not whinge about them, rather, do not buy them.

Vote with you wallet! It's by far the most effective management and strategy tool in the market.
well, this is not that easy if you invested in glass already.
Canon 400d | efs 15-85 | efs 60/2.8 | Sigma 30/1.4 | (broken efs 17-85)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:38 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2012, 07:51:32 AM »

Yes it is.

Buy something that fits your lenses but is better than what you have.

If there's nothing better or nothing you want to upgrade to then why does it matter?  Just keep using whats already working for you.

Not directed at above, but in general...

A helluva lot of these whiney posts about what Nikon are doing seems more about brinkmanship or bragging rights or keeping ahead of the Joneses than actually about taking pictures or shooting video.

I don't need 36MP.  If I did I'd already have a 36MP camera.  I can deduce therefore that the D800 doesn't matter to me.

Not much that Nikon is up to does matter to me.

I don't use them.  I use canon.  Quite happily.  Selfishly speaking from a video perspective I think the advances on the 5D3 are great.  Headphone socket.  Breaks the 4GB clip limitation.  Choice of temporal and spatial compressions.  All very useful and very welcome upgrades.  That it also gets a 1D style AF system is brilliant for my stills.  I think the 5D3 is great.  A very logical and considered upgrade.

I might even buy one.  But then I never had a 5D2 (although used plenty)

If I was sitting here with a 5D2 would I be annoyed that the 5D3 didn't represent a great value upgrade?  Nope.
I'd keep using the 5D2 and await the 5D4.

Nikon didn't enter into it once.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »
No its not.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
Why is it not?

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
Canon is suffering from the inertia of a large corporate environment - delicately balancing new products and innovation with protecting it's product install base.  Incremental improvement with minimum risk is the rule, and
maintaining or slightly improving overall company financials is the goal.  They are suffering increased competition
from Brother and Samsung in the small laser printer markets, from Nikon is the DSLR arena, from Apple's Iphone in the point and shoot market, Xerox in high volume copiers and others who have a desire and incentive to knock the "king off the throne."  I wouldn't look for any breakthrough products - look at the mediocre mirrorless offering as an example - but maybe some pricing actions since financial stability is a Canon strength. 

paul13walnut5

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:56 PM »
look at the mediocre mirrorless offering

What's mediocre about it?  A higher pixel count and larger sensor than most of its competitors?  Access to an established and widely varying system of lenses?

Touch screen interface is naff, but in the market segment...
Stupidly high priced.  But that will change.

I am not a huge fan of it, but I wouldn't say it was mediocre.

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »

I have posted before, that if you are unhappy with Canon's offerings, you should not whinge about them, rather, do not buy them.

Vote with you wallet! It's by far the most effective management and strategy tool in the market.

Yes, you are right (no, it is not that easy). 
I get livid when I see people saying "if you disagree with anything Canon is doing, do not talk about it.  Instead you should dump all your (EXPENSIVE) camera gear at a loss and go buy it all over with Nikon.  Bull.
1.)  Do you really expect to go to a website about a product and read NO NEGATIVE VIEWS???  If you want that, go join a cult. 
2.)  Who the heck are you anyway to tell people they need to shut up?
3.)  The whole point of a website about a particular brand is to discuss both its good points and also the points which could use improvement.
4.)  Buying from the company (to the tune of THOUSANDS of dollars) gives one the right to comment freely.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:17:16 AM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
"What's mediocre about it?"
Almost everything! 

"A higher pixel count and larger sensor than most of its competitors?"
Don't confuse pixel count with pixel density. 

"Access to an established and widely varying system of lenses?"
Which via the same adapter route work with almost every other camera in this segment.

Personally, I think Canon would have been better served to put a EOS mount adapter on the G1X,
not withstanding the modifications that would have had to be made to the viewfinder.  Perhaps, over
time the M series of lenses will mature, the body will gain a viewfinder, and all will be right in "purse candy"
land.

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »
There are to many variables in action right now.

I have a gut feeling  :P if a new top end crop (1.6) 7DII or whatever its named) ends up lackluster or unimpressive Canon will be in a very bad position albeit it from targeting or r&d & this would cause a strong ripple effect in the entire lineup to follow.

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

bigbadhenry

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
""26 July 2012 Last updated at 04:50

Shares in the Japanese camera and office equipment maker Canon have fallen after the firm cut its earnings forecast for this financial year.

Its shares dropped as much as 14% on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.""

Says it all.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
""26 July 2012 Last updated at 04:50

Shares in the Japanese camera and office equipment maker Canon have fallen after the firm cut its earnings forecast for this financial year.

Its shares dropped as much as 14% on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.""

Says it all.

Who cares about the share price if they:
- are no. 5 in the amount of patents registered in the US last year
- make the best of the best of best gear in the world spending zillions of $ each year
- employ the smartest people on the planet?
- have better fanboys than apple

lol
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:13:26 PM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
I have mixed emotions about reviving this thread, but can't resist a bit of "I told you so."

Nikon's first quarter results and projections for the year are out. (See Nikon Rumors). Net profit fell by a jaw-dropping 48%!

Now that those numbers are out, it's a little easier to compare performance of Canon and Nikon. The numbers confirm what I said previously – this particular article was written by a single columnist with an ax to grind against Canon's management.

Demand a change in top leadership at Canon when profits are down 2.4%, while a major competitor's profits are down 48%?

Fact is, Canon is well-managed and doing very well during tough economic times.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

briansquibb

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
I have mixed emotions about reviving this thread, but can't resist a bit of "I told you so."

Nikon's first quarter results and projections for the year are out. (See Nikon Rumors). Net profit fell by a jaw-dropping 48%!

Now that those numbers are out, it's a little easier to compare performance of Canon and Nikon. The numbers confirm what I said previously – this particular article was written by a single columnist with an ax to grind against Canon's management.

Demand a change in top leadership at Canon when profits are down 2.4%, while a major competitor's profits are down 48%?

And they avoided selling the 5DIII cheap whereas the D800 must not be earning then much money

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »

Jotho

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »

And they avoided selling the 5DIII cheap whereas the D800 must not be earning then much money
Desperate means from Nikon of course to sell it at that low price. Will be interesting to see the development of their profits once D800 sales will have larger impact. Also, this will have impact on their overall pricing strategies as they will be held back in trying to get better prices for other models they will launch from now on.

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 02:53:16 AM »

Desperate means from Nikon of course to sell it at that low price. Will be interesting to see the development of their profits once D800 sales will have larger impact. Also, this will have impact on their overall pricing strategies as they will be held back in trying to get better prices for other models they will launch from now on.

Losing less than one's competitor is an odd sort of "victory" isn't it?  But, yes,  hoooray.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2012, 02:53:16 AM »