Gear Talk > Software & Accessories

EOS Utility and osX 10.8 Mountain Lion

<< < (2/6) > >>

TrumpetPower!:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on July 27, 2012, 09:30:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: heyandy on July 27, 2012, 09:15:40 AM ---It looks like some older versions might work while the newer ones don't.

--- End quote ---

That was definitely true when 10.7 Lion launched - rolling back EOS Utility to an old version worked, but of course the newer cameras were not supported.

I'm often curious - for what functionality do people use EOS Utility?  I didn't even bother to test it when I started running 10.8 a couple of months ago, since I haven't needed EOS Utility since I stopped shooting JPG (when I used it to load lens profiles for PIC).

--- End quote ---

I use it all the time for tethered shooting. Of course, I have it set to open the pictures in ACR rather than DPP.

Cheers,

b&

awinphoto:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on July 27, 2012, 09:30:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: heyandy on July 27, 2012, 09:15:40 AM ---It looks like some older versions might work while the newer ones don't.

--- End quote ---

That was definitely true when 10.7 Lion launched - rolling back EOS Utility to an old version worked, but of course the newer cameras were not supported.

I'm often curious - for what functionality do people use EOS Utility?  I didn't even bother to test it when I started running 10.8 a couple of months ago, since I haven't needed EOS Utility since I stopped shooting JPG (when I used it to load lens profiles for PIC).

--- End quote ---

I use DPP now for the time being as it has been shown to produce better sharper images with my 5d3 compared to the lastest ACR.  Once ACR updates and catches up, then i'll use that from that point onwards as it's more intuitive and seamless. 

Abraxx:
Hi

I installed MacOS 10.8 today
DPP seems to work
EOS Utility does NOT work, (Version 2.11.4), it crashes as soon as you connect a cam to the Mac!

So beware!

rgds

Mt Spokane Photography:
I use the EOS utility for tethered shooting. 
I have a light table with a 10 ft USB  cable going to my PC.  All my images are focused remotely, and I set the exposure by looking at the live histogram as well as the screen.  Then I release the shutter and the image receives my custom file name and goes straight to the selected folder of my PC. Since I see it before hand, I can set depth of field and view of my products and capture them the way I want pretty accurately.  Its a huge time saver.
I can also sync my camera clock to my pc clock, which is synched to a time server, and is usually accurate to a second or two.

heyandy:
I almost always shoot tethered. Most often, I use LR's native tethering as I rely on the "Same as previous" develop settings option to carry all settings from one shot to the next (especially the crop which you can't save in a develop preset). When remote camera control and/or live view is useful - or when using a 5d mkIII which isn't supported by LR tethering yet - I will go to EOS utility and auto-import.

Thanks for the definitive report Abraxx. I hope the update comes soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version