December 21, 2014, 07:11:35 PM

Author Topic: 5D II or wait for new entry level FF camera  (Read 5643 times)

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
Re: 5D II or wait for new entry level FF camera
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
I had a 5dII, and there are a couple of things it does better than the gh2, but overall the gh2 is a better camera for video, and a whole lot cheaper.

For low light, colour, and aesthetics the 5diii is in a different league to the gh2. There's a reason that films like the Avengers used Canon DSLR's rather than GH2s to compliment the Alexa footage. Clients love the fact that it looks a lot like film. Rather than the the video-tastic GH2.

If you want to make a film look filmic, the gh2 is your tool. The lack of detail with the 5D really hampers  wide shots. The gh2 is much more versitile in post because of the better codec.

Truthfully, the only reason either of these cameras would look like video is if someone didn't know what they were doing.  Like using the wrong shutter angle, or shooting closed down all the way.

I love my 5D2 for photos, but it's been retired for video

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »

aceofspaide

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Last night I did donate to the ML team and installed it on my T2i, I like it a lot but I don't know if it is a deal breaker that I can't have it on the new camera. The photography factor is definitely effecting my decision also though, as I have attempted to do headshots with my T2i and I feel somewhat limited, even compared to the 7D. BTW all my lenses are EF, not EF-s.

Oh yeah, and autofocus, while cool, is a zero factor because as was said earlier, no real cameraman uses autofocus. I don't think I've used autofocus while shooting video since before film school.

I appreciate all this input, right now I am definitely leaning towards waiting, maybe I'll pick up a mirrorless camera or something to keep me entertained until the new FF camera is out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »