December 18, 2014, 01:15:27 AM

Author Topic: Is this a G1X killer?  (Read 20425 times)

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
Re: Is this a G1X killer?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
Purchased the RX-100 from DigitalRev about two weeks ago and love this little jewel as compared to my previous S95 and S100 Canons.  Don't get me wrong, the S100 is still the best P&S camera out there with its feature set and ability to shoot RAW...maybe up until now.

The RX-100 is extremely fast with little shutter lag.  IQ is considerably better than the S100 in most regards. The ZEISS lens is incredibly sharp and provides great color renditions.   As a big fan of ZEISS lenses, this was that proverbial icing on the cake for me. (I have only recently started shooting with ZEISS ZE lenses for my Canon DSLR's) 

It DOES however take a little more time to boot up and shut down than the S100 and what you don't see here is that when you turn the camera on, the lens projects about 1-1/2" before you zoom.

Additionally, the RX100 doesn't connect with EYE-FI cards whereas the S100 has a menu item for these WIFI cards.  I typically use EYE-FI to automatically transfer images to my IPAD for ease of cataloging and emailing.

So, RX100 or S100?  For now, I'll be using the RX more often.  I'm confident the next generation S100 will out do the RX100.
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »

Gman

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »
So now the Canon EOS M has been shown to the public - not released till October, so where will a future Gxx fit into Canon's plan of things to come? Will this kill off the G1X and allow space for a new Gxx? Especially given that there has been a fair bit of negative stuff written about the G1X unless I am mistaken.

Clearly they wont put an APS C sensor in a future Gxx because of zoom lens size restrictions, so what about the same sensor used in the G1X? or a 4/3rds? I guess a digic 5 processor would have to be requisite. They will have to be careful not to cannibalise sales of either the G1X or the S100 or maybe they already have especially as the EOS M with better IQ and a pancake prime must be a competitor?

Will the next Gxx just be an upgraded G12 called G12a or a G12-2 and not something completely new? How about an EOS mini with swivel screen, smaller sensor, digic 5 processor and retracting zoom lens? Or will we see a hybrid?

Finally, why dont we refer to the G12 as mirrorless?

Any thoughts on this folks?   

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
So now the Canon EOS M has been shown to the public - not released till October, so where will a future Gxx fit into Canon's plan of things to come? Will this kill off the G1X and allow space for a new Gxx? Especially given that there has been a fair bit of negative stuff written about the G1X unless I am mistaken.

Clearly they wont put an APS C sensor in a future Gxx because of zoom lens size restrictions, so what about the same sensor used in the G1X? or a 4/3rds? I guess a digic 5 processor would have to be requisite. They will have to be careful not to cannibalise sales of either the G1X or the S100 or maybe they already have especially as the EOS M with better IQ and a pancake prime must be a competitor?

Will the next Gxx just be an upgraded G12 called G12a or a G12-2 and not something completely new? How about an EOS mini with swivel screen, smaller sensor, digic 5 processor and retracting zoom lens? Or will we see a hybrid?

Finally, why dont we refer to the G12 as mirrorless?

Any thoughts on this folks?
If the Amazon sales rankings are correct, sales of the G1X seem to be going well, but expect prices to drop, as the economy tanks.
Most people define a mirrorless as a camera with interchangable lenses and no reflex mirror.  The G1X and RS100 are not mirrorless, so they come under point and shoot.
I'd like to try both of them and see which fits in my large hands best.  I might still consider the Canon "M", since FD adapters will soon be available as well as adapters for nikon, OM, M42, Pentax, Minolta, etc.  Almost every old Fukk manual SLR lens can be adapted.

Gman

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »
I'd expect the price of the G1X to drop anyway as the EOS M with it's larger sensor and better specs is now a serious competitor. Given the choice between to two at the moment (if it were available) I'd go for the EOS M even though it's a bit more expensive. Just a pity it doesn't have the folding screen.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 09:27:15 AM »