November 01, 2014, 09:27:55 AM

Author Topic: Canon Updates E1 Plugin for FCP.  (Read 6360 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Updates E1 Plugin for FCP.
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »

Canon announces latest update for EOS Movie Plug-in-E1 for Final Cut Pro

Canon today announces the latest update for EOS Movie Plug-in-E1 for Final Cut Pro – the company’s custom-developed software application that provides quicker and easier editing of EOS Movie footage in Apple’s Final Cut Pro software suite.

Launching to coincide with the start of the 2011 National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show in Las Vegas, EOS Movie Plug-in-E1 for Final Cut Pro version 1.2 will make the importing of EOS Movie files even easier, allowing users to transfer files from any folder, without needing to mirror the folder structure on the camera itself.

The update also enables smoother importing from Canon’s EOS 7D, EOS 5D Mark II and EOS-1D Mark IV models, allowing users to import footage without requiring the THM file generated by the camera.

Originally launched in February 2010, EOS Movie Plug-in-E1 for Final Cut Pro is designed to quickly and seamlessly convert EOS Movie footage from Canon’s leading range of EOS DSLR cameras to Apple’s high-quality ProRes 422 codec. The plug-in allows users to convert footage at approximately twice the speed of Apple’s standard conversion, creating a smoother workflow for the rapidly growing number of videographers shooting HD video content on DSLR cameras.

EOS Movie Plug-in-E1 for Final Cut Pro version 1.2 will be available to download for free from 25th April 2011.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Updates E1 Plugin for FCP.
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:05:04 AM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Updates E1 Plugin for FCP.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:52:01 AM »
I'm glad I have Premiere Pro CS5.  FCP is popular, but is long due for many upgrades.  I know that the next FCP version is on the horizon.  FCP used to be a better option than PP, but PP CS5 is giving it a run for its money.

The Mercury Engine is a thing of awesome, and dragging raw clips into premiere (or after effects) is all that is needed, even without Mercury.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:05:55 AM »
Can you get final cut pro for PC nowadays or or is this only going to benefit mac users? Im buying bits to build a PC, would be gutted if all the new cool stuff was only for apple.

Or if i build my PC with latest sandy bridge chip should the quick sync function do the same thing pretty much? ie quick encoding?

Was going to get the latest adobe suite. Would anyone recommend it?

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »
I don't think they have a Windows build, but since Mac and PCs have the same architecture now, you should be able to pull something off if you wanted to.  I know there are tutorials on doing that.

I have Production Premium CS5.  I was kinda lucky that I bought an unused, but really cheap copy of Production Premium CS4 right before CS5 came out.  I called Adobe later and asked if I could get a free upgrade and they gave it to me.  Its a good thing too, because Premiere Pro and After Effects (in addition to photoshop) are fully 64 bit programs now, plus Premiere Pro has the Mercury Engine now if you have a supported high end Nvidia graphics card to do additional processing.

The workflows are similar between premiere and FCP, but I would go for PP (at least at this point).  Premiere supports tons of file types for drag and drop (without prior conversion whether manual or automatic).  I'm not sure which files, but I know FCP has to pre-render many types of footage into a format that works better for it.

The other advantage that many cite is that After Effects is king for motion graphics composition content (even for Mac users), and if you have the bones to pay for Production Premium, they (premiere and AE) are integrated pretty well.  You can edit in After Effects and save, and changes appear in Premiere automatically without having to reload or render.  If using another solution, you have to render your After Effects comp and import into the NLE, then update for subsequent edits.

I read a lot before biting the bullet because a few years back I had Premiere Elements, which is a very buggy product (crashed all the time).  I also know previous versions of premiere pro had bugs (which were fixed).  When CS5 came out, it was a solid build.  I can't think of a single time it crashed or gave me issues.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:37 AM »
Yea i have been thinking of getting CS5 for a while now. Might have to use my brothers student accuount to get it cheap, i cant afford it otherwise lol!

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:31 AM »
Yeah, the educational copies are a lot cheaper.  I only got the full copy because I wanted to be able to make money with it without any questions.  (Haven't really made much yet).  I think I'll be hired by some people soon though.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »
Oh rite, is this part of the T&C that you cant use it to make any money? Makes sense i guess. No idea how anyone would ever find out though if you worked from home?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:30 AM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:05 AM »
Oh rite, is this part of the T&C that you cant use it to make any money? Makes sense i guess. No idea how anyone would ever find out though if you worked from home?

I believe so. And I'm sure the Feds spend lots of time tracking down whether or not a video was cut on an educational version or not.  :P

sixsixj

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 03:58:17 PM »

I used to think the same, but in fact it's quite the opposite!

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.

found here:
http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »
Wow, crazy!  I'm not a student anymore anyway, but I will remember if I ever go back for the masters.

One difference though is that you can't sell it or transfer the license.  I don't think that affects me though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »