August 01, 2014, 02:56:05 AM

Author Topic: 5DM3 is not doing all I hoped...wanting to upgrade to 1DX  (Read 5522 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5DM3 is not doing all I hoped...wanting to upgrade to 1DX
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
Fashion, and landscapes basically with the 5D3

When i took them back to the store they could visibly see the banding on the back lcd screen it was that bad. So they refunded them without question.

Some people believe i got bad copies - but I'm not game to buy a 3rd.

Metering is very very accurate on the 1DX - i believed it was 0.5 under each shot but if you look at the target points RBG values its protecting the target from blowing a channel - its rather interesting how they did it. It's not right to my eye but its correct via histo.

The 5D3 is basically identical to the 7D (which to my eye always looked good).

I've owned both so was just giving a little input to someone looking at moving up the series. It may not fall inline with everyones experiences but they are mine :)

I agree, if your 5D3's are gone and you have a 1DX, no need at all to have a 5D3 if you don't currently have one.  Here's what I'm going to do.  For football and track, which are outdoors, I'll shoot with the 1DX and 1D4.  For indoor sports, I'll use 1DX and 5D3.  No flash allowed anywhere in indoor sports, especially college.  And for night football games or night sports outside, I'll probably shoot with the 1DX/5D3 combo again.  Also, I can use the 1DX/5D3 combo for weddings.  My 1Ds3 is great for ISO 50-400 shots outside, and fantastic for landscapes, but that stuff doesn't make me any money.  I'd like to take on senior pictures, which in that case I could use the 1Ds3/5D3 combo.  However, I'm not narrow minded enough to believe that the 1DX's 18mp wouldn't be enough vs. the 5D3's 22.  Time will only tell and it could very well end up I sell some cameras and get another 1DX or even a newer camera that comes out.  I am impressed so far though, with the 5D3's and 1Ds3's color.  I did print a few mini-posters and those 21 and 22 mp's came in handy.  Sports though, who knows, I could end up having to shoot in jpeg.  Canon made too many good cameras :)
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 11:45:50 PM »
Fashion, and landscapes basically with the 5D3

When i took them back to the store they could visibly see the banding on the back lcd screen it was that bad. So they refunded them without question.

Some people believe i got bad copies - but I'm not game to buy a 3rd.

Metering is very very accurate on the 1DX - i believed it was 0.5 under each shot but if you look at the target points RBG values its protecting the target from blowing a channel - its rather interesting how they did it. It's not right to my eye but its correct via histo.

The 5D3 is basically identical to the 7D (which to my eye always looked good).

I've owned both so was just giving a little input to someone looking at moving up the series. It may not fall inline with everyones experiences but they are mine :)

I agree, if your 5D3's are gone and you have a 1DX, no need at all to have a 5D3 if you don't currently have one.  Here's what I'm going to do.  For football and track, which are outdoors, I'll shoot with the 1DX and 1D4.  For indoor sports, I'll use 1DX and 5D3.  No flash allowed anywhere in indoor sports, especially college.  And for night football games or night sports outside, I'll probably shoot with the 1DX/5D3 combo again.  Also, I can use the 1DX/5D3 combo for weddings.  My 1Ds3 is great for ISO 50-400 shots outside, and fantastic for landscapes, but that stuff doesn't make me any money.  I'd like to take on senior pictures, which in that case I could use the 1Ds3/5D3 combo.  However, I'm not narrow minded enough to believe that the 1DX's 18mp wouldn't be enough vs. the 5D3's 22.  Time will only tell and it could very well end up I sell some cameras and get another 1DX or even a newer camera that comes out.  I am impressed so far though, with the 5D3's and 1Ds3's color.  I did print a few mini-posters and those 21 and 22 mp's came in handy.  Sports though, who knows, I could end up having to shoot in jpeg.  Canon made too many good cameras :)

I love the new jpeg engine - shockingly i shoot a fair amount of work in jpeg now more so where there is good light...

esp when im sending images off at 10MP - shoot and upload no real need for processing as the body does a great job.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »
That's good to know.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

trentchau

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 02:28:17 AM »
I'm curious, why would you think B&H would take it back?

None the less what I'm curious about is what you were using before to do this type of photography.

ideaworx

• Power Shot G16
  • fishing x photography
    • View Profile
    • SaltHD
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:40 AM »
(Using RRS brackets...Not yet available)

Huh? I've had my RSS L-bracket for the 5DIII + BG-E11 for weeks, now, maybe over a month, and I had one for the un-gripped 5DIII for at least a few weeks before I got the one plus grip (couldn't wait).

You'll be glad to know that the BG-E11 version is awesome, fits like a glove, and actually makes the vertical grip a bit more comfortable than without. The non-gripped version is decidedly "meh."

Cheers,

b&

I had not been informed it was ready to be honest, I appreciate the update. Pending my decision here, I may end up picking it up. Great to know it fits well, I expect nothing less than that from RRS, great products for sure.

5DM3 x Some Lenses

ideaworx

• Power Shot G16
  • fishing x photography
    • View Profile
    • SaltHD
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 03:08:23 AM »

None the less what I'm curious about is what you were using before to do this type of photography.

I did not expect them too, I was just curious if there was anything that can be done :)

I was not doing this type of photography, I shot alot on the water, but it was during the day, and not fish, I used to shoot babes in bikinis (or less) and am just trying to settle into what I really enjoy (and what my wife approves, lol).

Thanks everyone so far for the feedback, really informative and helpful for sure.

Cheers,

Shane
5DM3 x Some Lenses

trentchau

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »

I did not expect them too, I was just curious if there was anything that can be done :)

I was not doing this type of photography, I shot alot on the water, but it was during the day, and not fish, I used to shoot babes in bikinis (or less) and am just trying to settle into what I really enjoy (and what my wife approves, lol).

Thanks everyone so far for the feedback, really informative and helpful for sure.

Cheers,

Shane

Heh sounds like you need a specialized camera than.  Orsome hot lights for auto focus assist :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »