October 31, 2014, 01:39:10 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5D MKII. Refurb or New?  (Read 2170 times)

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
Canon 5D MKII. Refurb or New?
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:55 AM »
Any long-term refurb users here? I am getting the 5D2 and wondering if going NEW is worthwhile.  There is a longer warranty, but I heard REFURB actually has more stringent quality controls.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D MKII. Refurb or New?
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:55 AM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D MKII. Refurb or New?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:31:54 AM »
Any long-term refurb users here? I am getting the 5D2 and wondering if going NEW is worthwhile.  There is a longer warranty, but I heard REFURB actually has more stringent quality controls.

I bought the 5DII refurbished. Looked as good as new. Shutter count was about 1000. You're basically paying for a longer warranty, but either way you're not covered after 1 year.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »

I bought the 5DII refurbished. Looked as good as new. Shutter count was about 1000. You're basically paying for a longer warranty, but either way you're not covered after 1 year.

After going through the check-out process, I found that Canon Refurb charges tax.  Which kills a big part of the costs savings...  You save maybe a hundred dollars off new...  I think I'll just go New instead...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
After going through the check-out process, I found that Canon Refurb charges tax.  Which kills a big part of the costs savings...  You save maybe a hundred dollars off new...  I think I'll just go New instead...

Yes, that often entails quite a hit, especially if you can get it discounted from the nominal baseline price from another vendor -- e.g. if refurbished store gives you 20% off 300 for a lens ($240), but some other store sells it for 270 with free shipping. Then they tack on the tax and shipping and it's about $260.

It's generally only worth it on items that are hard to find at any kind of discount (as in cheaper than the "reference price" that they subtract 20% from). For example, I picked up a 35mm f/2 refurbished when there was a shortage of them and people were selling them used for $400. I was thankful to get the refurb for about $270 (including tax + shipping)

Where you can get a great deal on reburbs is on those rare occasions where they offer 15% or 20% off the refurbished price, then for example your $300 lens is about $200 which makes it a pretty good deal even with tax and shipping.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »
I'd say get a new one.  The price difference isn't substantial enough, in my opinion.  For $300-$400 more, you can get a brand new one.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
I bought my 5D MK II new when they first came out, and was very happy with it.  I sold it for $1700 when the MK III came out, but returned it.
I bought a refurb thru CLP by trading in a old broken and worthless film SLR.  The price was $1407 plus tax, with free shipping, or $1514 total.  The Camera had about 275 actuations on it, and is excellent, probably better than my first one, as far as lack of hot pixels is concerned.

Thats a $500 savings, you can buy a decent lens for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »