October 22, 2014, 12:18:55 AM

Author Topic: Canon at the London Summer Olympics  (Read 18116 times)

KyleSTL

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon at the London Summer Olympics
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
The 200-400 is not as massive as I thought it would be, looks pretty hand holdable to me. :D
Actually, the front element's diameter is much smaller than I had thought.  I'm actually really surprised. 

I wonder why neither of the photographers in the photo is using a lens hood.

Yup, 100mm diameter front element (theoretical), smaller than 300mm f/2.8 (107mm).

My guess in that there is a lens overall length restriction that prevent use of hoods with really big lenses.  There is a 400mm f/2.8 at the top of the frame without a hood as well.  All the other lens in the frame are 70-200mm with hoods (and one Nikon 200mm f/2 with hood).  I've noticed in the coverage I've watched that the really big lenses (400mm f/2.8 +) do not have hoods.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »

BillyBean

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »
Caught this guy at the fencing on Sunday. Not sure what kit he is carrying, but no doubt one of you guys will recognise it.

I've got to say that the 5D3 (on its first real outing) performed superbly - really happy with it. I was about 300m back from the action (no press pass!) with nothing more than a 200mm f4 IS, and yet the 5D3 nailed some great shots in very challenging circumstances - very fast action, high ISOs and so on. The only bit that really failed was the metering - neither spot nor evaluative really got close, so in the end I dialled in -1 exposure comp, which seemed to get things about right. With the bright spotlighting and white clothes on pitch black background, this was never going to be easy though...

These snaps are heavily cropped, btw, and were taken at high iso, so the quality is not perfect, but acceptable in my opinion. You can see more at http://www.shakespearesswords.org.uk/#/2012-london-olympics/4567286090

Wiki Tango

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
Petapixel wrote about that 'room of dreams', titeling 
Canon’s Drool-Worthy Gear Room at the London Olympics
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/07/31/canons-drool-worthy-gear-room-at-the-london-olympics/

giving the source for the pics: INKIBOO on flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkiboo/7604804042/#in/photostream
and 3 pics following
5D3 | 7D gripped | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF-S 60mm 2.8 | EF 85mm 1.8 | To 12-24 4.0 | EF 24-105mm L | EF 70-300mm IS | 430 + 580 II and more stuff &

...probably more Polaroid cameras than you ;-)

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
The 200-400 is not as massive as I thought it would be, looks pretty hand holdable to me. :D
It's definitely handholdable. I had a go with one at Focus on Imaging in March (the only one in Europe at the time) and it felt to be a similar weight to my 300mm f/2.8 IS, even with a 1D MkIV attached to it. It was difficult to judge the exact weight for sure, as I think the balance was better on a 1 series camera, which always helps and I didn't have the 300 with me for a direct comparison. I probably held it to my eye for a couple of minutes without any problems at all.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

briansquibb

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »
It's definitely handholdable. I had a go with one at Focus on Imaging in March (the only one in Europe at the time) and it felt to be a similar weight to my 300mm f/2.8 IS, even with a 1D MkIV attached to it. It was difficult to judge the exact weight for sure, as I think the balance was better on a 1 series camera, which always helps and I didn't have the 300 with me for a direct comparison. I probably held it to my eye for a couple of minutes without any problems at all.

I had a play with it at focus and agree that it feels the weight of the 300 f/2.8IS. There was a 300 on trial there too :D

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
That room full of L glass must be worth hundred of thousands of dollars. It's a robbers dream the lenses are being held in a broom closet. :P

Maybe I missed something, but do we know where that photos of all the lens-room comes from?  Is it a staging area at the Olympics where Canon lends out gear?
Canon Professional Services is present at all big sporting events, from F1 races to world championships to, well, the Olympics. CPS is a service organisation that requires you to own multiple pro bodies and L lenses, but once you're in, you're all set. If anything of your gear breaks down, they make sure you get on the spot repairs or replacements and the such. The rest of the year it's quick repairs, too, while us mere mortals have to wait for weeks. With the platinum membership, you basically will never miss a shot because of a faulty Canon.

And I imagine you can borrow some fancy goods, too, judging by the amount of 200-400's that can't be all there for replacements :P

[edited because it's all free *yay!*]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 07:28:01 PM by Rat »
Fed up with brandism.

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »
I had to take a cold shower after looking at the gear room..... ;D

Oh, to dream.... ::)
1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50:44 PM »
That gear room was awesome.  Just think, walk in, grab any equipment you need and you're off.  Those photogs out there have it made.   ;) 8)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
So, about september there's going to be more 1DX refurbs available from the refurb store, than new models from normal shops?

Or are they going to pull a dodgy, try and sell them back to normal shops as "new" models...?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
So, about september there's going to be more 1DX refurbs available from the refurb store, than new models from normal shops?

Or are they going to pull a dodgy, try and sell them back to normal shops as "new" models...?
I think neither. The Olympics is a lot of photographers, but you can safely assume they'll mostly keep working after this event is over. The one big event will be replaced with many smaller events, so I'm pretty sure they'll use this stuff to supply CPS departments around the globe.
Fed up with brandism.

AHumphreys

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »
Just out of curiousity I will be attending the Olympics next week (on vacation) and I am a CPS member in the USA.
Can I get access to trying out a supertele or two from my CPS membership, or do I need a press pass as well?

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:34 PM »
Actually, the front element's diameter is much smaller than I had thought.  I'm actually really surprised. 

I wonder why neither of the photographers in the photo is using a lens hood.

Yup, 100mm diameter front element (theoretical), smaller than 300mm f/2.8 (107mm).

My guess in that there is a lens overall length restriction that prevent use of hoods with really big lenses.  There is a 400mm f/2.8 at the top of the frame without a hood as well.  All the other lens in the frame are 70-200mm with hoods (and one Nikon 200mm f/2 with hood).  I've noticed in the coverage I've watched that the really big lenses (400mm f/2.8 +) do not have hoods.

I'm watching the ladies gymnastics and there seems to be no issue with big lens hoods at that venue. Several 400mm lenses shooters with full hoods on the lenses.

lipe

• Power Shot G7X
  • 1DX a legend camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »
this ain't fair, hoarding all the good stuff ;D

i thought i am hoarding canon equipment, but this is the extreme hoarding.
5D Classic
5D III+200 F/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 02:10:05 AM »
I'm watching the ladies gymnastics and there seems to be no issue with big lens hoods at that venue. Several 400mm lenses shooters with full hoods on the lenses.

Probably depends on the sport more than anything.
Gymnastics has some high-power downlights, could produce a bit of flare, whereas Swimming has a lot more diffuse lighting from multiple sources like skylights and such.

Also probably has a lot to do with space, Swimming's fairly popular so they cram as many in as they can, they have more trouble selling Gymnastics tickets so there's more room to stretch the legs and put a hood on...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Flake

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »
Well seeing as no one else has said anything!

Who one earth is the owner of the (200 - 400mm?) in the centre left of the photo?  It can't be the guy on the extreme left as he's shooting Nikon, which leaves the one with the sunglasses.  If it is him then he has both hands on the camera he's using and that one appears suspended in mid air.  Tripods aren't allowed only monopods, he doesn't seem to be taking very good care of expensive equipment which earns his crust.

The Olympics is pretty much a disaster for the UK, greedy hospitality companies raised prices so high that no one used their facilities, and now they're cutting prices to less than they were normally.  London is pretty quiet, no real bonus from visitors to bars & restaurants.

Our politicians has passed draconian laws which give an already dodgy Police force powers far in excess of what is needed, yesterday they arrested some kid for tweeting an insult against a competitor - the insult was that they guy had let himself & his father (deceased) down.  Photographers are simply not tolerated anywhere in the vicinity of the Olympic park, and certainly not inside, the only ones allowed are accredited hacks with the large passes shown in the photo.

Another sad example of Britains obsession with security and the removal of freedom & the rights of the people.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »