August 31, 2014, 12:27:29 AM

Author Topic: 1DX or 1D4  (Read 11545 times)

Onodacops

Re: 1DX or 1D4
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
I'm in the same boat and I'm going to shop around for a used Mark IV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
If I may ask,how do the images of the 1D MKIV and 1DX compare to each other up to ISO 6400?Are the images of the !DX so much better than that of the 1D MKIV?

If you go here: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx and scroll a bit down the page, you'll see a couple of images that allow you to compare the noise of different cameras at different ISO settings. For instance, at 6,400, there appears to be more color noise in the 1D MKIV than the 1DX.

I hope this helps.

Shawn L.

celliottuk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
I've got both. I was totally amazed by the 1D IV, it's a superb bit of kit...but then the 1D X came along. The 1D X's low light capability is outstanding, so for band shots which I do a lot of, it really does the job. I also do wildlife shots, and whilst I appreciate the speed that it focusses at, and the high ISO capability, I miss the extra "Reach" that I've lost going from a 1.3 crop, to full frame.

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
I still have my 1D4 as a backup and a second body for sporting events but I don't even use it anymore. The color of the 1D4 was always terrible and high-ISO always looked grainy even though I still used it all the way up to ISO 8000 at times. The 1DX is a huge improvement, especially in low-light AF and tracking subjects. The 1D4 was really "jumpy" and I would feel lucky to have a photo in focus. The 1DX really tracks subjects, I'm really liking the automatic point selection with iTR in AI-Servo mode (don't like it in single shot). I shot a sequence of a player running to third base and got 28 of the 30 photos in focus. Toward the end of the sequence, the base runner was completely behind the third baseman for at least 7 photos while he was sliding at third and the camera was able to detect the small bits of his blue jersey and hold focus. It was an amazing sequence and I have never had so many photos in focus before (used 300 f/2.8L IS). Oh and color is as good as the 5D series which makes me happy as well.

mw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »
I took a leap of faith and got the 1D4. Absolutely love it. I do miss the FF capability. So I got a 5D2, in addition to the 1D4. Now, I have the best of both world and couldn't be happier.

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »
For those of you who went from the 1D MKIV to the 1DX,do you miss the 1/3 crop factor of the former,especially while shooting sports or wild life?The reason for me asking this question is because that is the only thing stopping me upgrading to the 1DX.
Thanks.

briansquibb

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
For those of you who went from the 1D MKIV to the 1DX,do you miss the 1/3 crop factor of the former,especially while shooting sports or wild life?The reason for me asking this question is because that is the only thing stopping me upgrading to the 1DX.
Thanks.

I shoot with both the 1D4 and the 1Ds3 - and yes I do notice the difference in crop factor. Basically I have to put on the next larger telephoto eg 400mm on the 1D4 becomes a 600 on the 1Ds3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 05:24:44 PM »
Thanks.

I shoot weddings, journalism, and all kinds of sports. My biggest lens is the 300mm f/2.8L IS which allows me to get pretty much anything I need. The move from the 1D4 to the 1DX was a no-brainer for me. I would rather take the full frame camera any day over a crop sensor. I plan to use the 1.4 extender for football, baseball and soccer. It would be nice to have a 400mm lens but I don't have that kind of cash laying around.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 08:51:57 PM »
I really think this is the million dollar (or at least US$ 6,000) question. Once you go past a certain point in length, lenses become super expensive. You can then use extenders as MWP mentioned but then questions re AF and IQ come up. Even a 1.3x crop helps with the reach, and the 1D 4 is about half the price, and you can use extenders on that. If the 1D X had a lot more megapixels you could combat the lack of reach by cropping more, but then you would probably lose out on fps. It is an interesting debate, but the quality of images from the 1D X do look outstanding, and as long as you have lenses that work best (is it groups A-F or something) then you should be on to a winner.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 09:32:55 PM »
I really think this is the million dollar (or at least US$ 6,000) question. Once you go past a certain point in length, lenses become super expensive. You can then use extenders as MWP mentioned but then questions re AF and IQ come up. Even a 1.3x crop helps with the reach, and the 1D 4 is about half the price, and you can use extenders on that. If the 1D X had a lot more megapixels you could combat the lack of reach by cropping more, but then you would probably lose out on fps. It is an interesting debate, but the quality of images from the 1D X do look outstanding, and as long as you have lenses that work best (is it groups A-F or something) then you should be on to a winner.

Even if the 1DX had 21 mp like the 1Ds3 or 5DII, you could crop fairly far.  18 I don't know.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

celliottuk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »
I have both the 1D IV, and the 1D X. I started life on a 7D. when I went from the 7D to the 1D IV, I missed the 1.6 crop factor as I went to 1.3, but soon got over it as the IQ was so good on the IV that I could easily crop and still end up with better IQ.
The same is starting to be true as I transition from the IV to the X.
I did some test shots at a Falcon centre. Same birds flying, same lenses, then crop the shots to give the same "Apparent size" in the final image. The focussing ability, and the fact that I can shoot at a higher shutter speed, due to better noise performance of the 1DX is so good compared to the IV and the 7, that even if the number of pixels is actually less, the apparent sharpness and detail is greater-if that makes sense

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 02:29:57 AM »
I have both the 1D IV, and the 1D X. I started life on a 7D. when I went from the 7D to the 1D IV, I missed the 1.6 crop factor as I went to 1.3, but soon got over it as the IQ was so good on the IV that I could easily crop and still end up with better IQ.
The same is starting to be true as I transition from the IV to the X.
I did some test shots at a Falcon centre. Same birds flying, same lenses, then crop the shots to give the same "Apparent size" in the final image. The focussing ability, and the fact that I can shoot at a higher shutter speed, due to better noise performance of the 1DX is so good compared to the IV and the 7, that even if the number of pixels is actually less, the apparent sharpness and detail is greater-if that makes sense

In which upgrade was there a bigger improvement,from 7D to 1D MKIV or from 1D MKIV to 1DX?

celliottuk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:18 AM »
7D to ID IV was like going from a Ford Focus to a Ferrari, night and day, black and white-pick your own analogy.
Going from the 1D IV to the X was more like an extreme tuning pack put on the Ferrari. Take something that is already good, and make it better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 03:17:18 AM »

dengor

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
I`m wonder why nobody talk about only 5(five) 2.8 focus points in new 1dx (5D3) compared to almost all in 1D4. Is it no matter to all? What is the diffrerence in real life? For me a so big and important.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
I`m wonder why nobody talk about only 5(five) 2.8 focus points in new 1dx (5D3) compared to almost all in 1D4. Is it no matter to all? What is the diffrerence in real life? For me a so big and important.

The five in the center of the 1Dx array are double Cross type points. A type of AF point that only exists in the canon lineup as of today and is only in the 5D3 and 1Dx.

The 1Dx AF has 5 Special Double cross type, 36 Standard Cross type, plus 20 Standard AF points. All of these are active with f/2.8 lenses or faster.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »