December 19, 2014, 01:41:14 PM

Author Topic: Bryan Carnathan's 1D X Review Is Finished  (Read 8643 times)

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

Bryan Carnathan's 1D X Review Is Finished
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Carnathan's 1D X Review Is Finished
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:09:49 AM »
I read it earlier today.  He seems enthusiastic about it, but its also obvious that the 5D MK III will suffice for many of us.  He does tell us what works well, and what doesn't.
I think that there seems to be quite a consensus of experienced experts giving a thumbs up.  I was considering one, but decided to buy a new lens instead.  I'm still on the fence about getting another 5D MK III.  There have been some better prices, but those are likely from dealers who took the double down rebates and applied $200 discount to the body and will sell the lenses for full price.  That might mean prices will rise again.

M.ST

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »
If you are a portrait or landscape photographer get the 5D Mark III (5D Mark II oder 1Ds Mark III) and invest in good lenses.

If you are a sports or wildlife photographer get the 1D Mark IV with 1.3 crop or buy the 1D X and invest in a or in a few supertelephotos.

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
Sadly, the 1DX won't focus at F/8 so teleconverters are of limited use for wildlife photography.

Also raw noise of the 1DX isn't especially good compared to the 5D3 after factoring in that they lowered the ISOs.

Adrian S.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »
I have been waiting to see this review and read it eagerly today. After reading it, and summing up what I need in a camera, I opted for a used 1dMk4 + 5D3 as my combo. Awesome review, but I really feel the 5D3 gives more "bang for your buck" vs the 1Dx.

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:19:34 AM »
...I really feel the 5D3 gives more "bang for your buck" vs the 1Dx.
Unless you need 12fps.

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:59 AM »
Sadly, the 1DX won't focus at F/8 so teleconverters are of limited use for wildlife photography.

200 f/2 +2x +1.4
300 f/2.8 + 2x
400 f/2.8 + 2x
500 f/4 + 1.4
600 f/4 + 1.4

Not that limited then

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:59 AM »

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:05 AM »
I have read several reviews from Bryans site. I am amazed at the amount of canon lenses he has tested, even when compared with dpreview. But i have been dissapointed with how he looks at products and it appears that he tries to avoid being overly critical. I feel that i  have been mislead by his statements. So many lenses he would so many positive things about it you would think that its a must have. His reviews does not really help to make purchase decisions, where we need to see how alternatives stack up. He is too nice to the canon gear he reviews. Even DPreview has been dissapointing. Esp with their D800 and 5D MkIII reviews. But that another story.

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
I have read several reviews from Bryans site. I am amazed at the amount of canon lenses he has tested, even when compared with dpreview. But i have been dissapointed with how he looks at products and it appears that he tries to avoid being overly critical. I feel that i  have been mislead by his statements. So many lenses he would so many positive things about it you would think that its a must have. His reviews does not really help to make purchase decisions, where we need to see how alternatives stack up. He is too nice to the canon gear he reviews. Even DPreview has been dissapointing. Esp with their D800 and 5D MkIII reviews. But that another story.

Why would you think he is going to be nasty to probably the best all round camera?

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »
Why would you think he is going to be nasty to probably the best all round camera?

I was commenting about his reviews in general. They dont get very much discussed elsewhere, but he has one of the most comprehensive reviews of canon lenses out there. I have read most of it, and i wish he would be more critical at times as my post said. When you are making a buying decision you need the help of those who have actually used the item.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »
and it appears that he tries to avoid being overly critical.

He's not always so nice, just depends on which reviews you look at:
Sigma 20mm f/1.8
"Unfortunately, I consider the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Lens to be unusable at f/1.8 unless you are looking for a soft-focus effect. This lens is one of the softest I've seen wide open.
In conclusion, I recommend not buying the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Lens. Sorry Sigma, this one is a dud."

It's not just sigma:
EF 80-200
"The Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens is a very small, very light and very cheap telephoto zoom lens.
There is no sticker shock when checking the price on this lens. But, as often is the case, you get what you pay for.
With the Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens, you also get very cheap build quality.
Optically, the Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens is disappointing.
Basically, the Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens is a very cheap telephoto zoom lens with performance relative to its cost."

Sure, with the L lenses and 1-series bodies he's not going to be too negative, but even in the 1DX review he says things like:
"...but first, I want to point out a potential downside for 1D Mark IV body owners looking to upgrade to the 1D X... This is of course disappointing to many extender users... The largest group of photographers affected by this change are, probably, bird photographers (such as Arthur Morris) - who have been dealt a double blow with the 1D X. Bird photography typically needs the most reach possible - through both lens focal length and sensor density. Increasing focal length via extenders has now been limited (for autofocus to function) and the 1D X has a less-dense sensor than either of the previous 1-Series models...
 This is, perhaps, the end of that era. I have to admit that I'm surprised by this design decision. "

He sounds almost British here, being polite as possible about a change for the worse when you can really tell he's annoyed by the no f/8 and knows a lot of others are too.

You just have to read between the lines a bit when reading his reviews, to tell which lenses/bodies he loves and which ones not so much...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
As with any information, you need to consider the source.  It's important to read many/most of the reviews on a particular site, to get a feel for the style.  For example, while I find Bryan's reviews very reliable, it's important to note that his reviews are generally positive and upbeat - he usually finds something to praise about every lens (which is not unreasonable, but helpful to know if you're just reading one review).  One of the very nice features of TDP is that in addition to the text reviews of the lenses, there are technical comparisons of sharpness, vignetting, distortion, etc., showing the actual images (as opposed to reduced and plotted data), which allows the readers to see for themselves and draw their own objective conclusions. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »
As with any information, you need to consider the source.  It's important to read many/most of the reviews on a particular site, to get a feel for the style.  For example, while I find Bryan's reviews very reliable, it's important to note that his reviews are generally positive and upbeat - he usually finds something to praise about every lens (which is not unreasonable, but helpful to know if you're just reading one review).  One of the very nice features of TDP is that in addition to the text reviews of the lenses, there are technical comparisons of sharpness, vignetting, distortion, etc., showing the actual images (as opposed to reduced and plotted data), which allows the readers to see for themselves and draw their own objective conclusions.
+1
Each reviewer has his own style.  However, several that I've now read have a lot of positives and few negatives. I have a 1D MK IV which I bought to replace my D800, however, I've yet to use the f/8 AF capability.  I never used it on the D800 either.
If you are one who cannot afford those big whites, or just like me, can't handle the weight, then using a 400mm f/5.6 or 100-400mm with TC is a advantage over using a 7D. and no TC.
I need to try my MK IV at f/11.  My 1D MK III would AF at f/11 with certain lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
I think the big points that are being left out in the analysis or the superior metering and color accuracy of the 1DX over other cameras.  That goes a long way.  Take a 1DX and 5D3 in fluorescent lighting and you'll see exactly what I mean.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »
+1
Each reviewer has his own style.  However, several that I've now read have a lot of positives and few negatives. I have a 1D MK IV which I bought to replace my D800, however, I've yet to use the f/8 AF capability.  I never used it on the D800 either.
If you are one who cannot afford those big whites, or just like me, can't handle the weight, then using a 400mm f/5.6 or 100-400mm with TC is a advantage over using a 7D. and no TC.
I need to try my MK IV at f/11.  My 1D MK III would AF at f/11 with certain lenses.
You should try the 300f4L with the canon 2x tc to give 600 f8 780 full frame equivalent its not a bad combo on a 1d af is respectable with the center point too you just need lots of light
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »