September 18, 2014, 03:53:52 AM

Author Topic: Bryan Carnathan's 1D X Review Is Finished  (Read 8061 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Carnathan's 1D X Review Is Finished
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »
You should try the 300f4L with the canon 2x tc to give 600 f8 780 full frame equivalent its not a bad combo on a 1d af is respectable with the center point too you just need lots of light

I've been seriously considering replacing my 7D with a 1DIV.  It's less than half the cost of a 500/4 II to put on the 1D X, and even though a gripped 7D won't go for much on the used market, what I'd get for it, added to the cash on hand in my gear fund, would cover an LN-/EX+ 1DIV...   
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
You should try the 300f4L with the canon 2x tc to give 600 f8 780 full frame equivalent its not a bad combo on a 1d af is respectable with the center point too you just need lots of light

I've been seriously considering replacing my 7D with a 1DIV.  It's less than half the cost of a 500/4 II to put on the 1D X, and even though a gripped 7D won't go for much on the used market, what I'd get for it, added to the cash on hand in my gear fund, would cover an LN-/EX+ 1DIV...

That actually would be the best replacement purchase scenario I can imagine.  The 1D4 for the 7D would be incredibly smart and worthwhile.  Not that the 7D is a bad camera, it's just you get the incredible features of the 1D4 along with the 1.3x factor.  That's one of the main reasons the 1D4 is in my kit.  I like that crop factor and 1D body metering capabilities.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
That actually would be the best replacement purchase scenario I can imagine.  The 1D4 for the 7D would be incredibly smart and worthwhile.  Not that the 7D is a bad camera, it's just you get the incredible features of the 1D4 along with the 1.3x factor.  That's one of the main reasons the 1D4 is in my kit.  I like that crop factor and 1D body metering capabilities.

Yep. What holds me back is that's close to half of the 500/4 II...and I'm pretty sure that lens on my 1D X will trounce the 100-400mm on a 1DIV.  Then again, birds/wildlife account for only about 10-15% of my shooting - should I really spend $10K on a lens for that?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »
I have been waiting to see this review and read it eagerly today. After reading it, and summing up what I need in a camera, I opted for a used 1dMk4 + 5D3 as my combo. Awesome review, but I really feel the 5D3 gives more "bang for your buck" vs the 1Dx.

I would have to agree with this.  I have a 5DII and a 1DIV.... and after toying with the idea of selling both to fund a 1DX decided that the smarter option would be to sell the 5DII and pick up a 5DIII.  This would give the best of both worlds.  A pro body with pro features (which I appreciate every time I shoot) and a body for WA along with high iso quality when the light gets low.

(NOTE* I probably wouldnt upgrade my 5DII to a 5DIII if the only difference was the 1 stop of ISO performance.  I have always been disappointed with the AF system and the slow burst rate of 3FPS...  With these items improved it has pushed me over the fence.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:15:02 PM by canon816 »

briansquibb

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »
I have always been disappointed with the AF system and the slow burst rate of 3FPS... 

5DII is 4 fps
5Dc is 3fps

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
I read it earlier today.  He seems enthusiastic about it, but its also obvious that the 5D MK III will suffice for many of us.  He does tell us what works well, and what doesn't.

The 5DIII vs. 1DX (res'd to 5DIII) resolution chart comparisons look to me sharper with more details with 5DIII, while the high ISO noise looks a little better with 1DX.  I suppose that's the similar line of comparison when D800 resolution is compared to 5DIII, but with even larger resolution difference.

I do appreciate that 5DIII can become more portable with (optional) battery grip off for those more casual outings.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 12:33:58 AM by drjlo »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »
I have been waiting to see this review and read it eagerly today. After reading it, and summing up what I need in a camera, I opted for a used 1dMk4 + 5D3 as my combo.

Since the 5DIII shipped, I have been VERY happy with the 1D4 & 5DIII combo. Where the 5DIII eats the Mk4 for breakfast is low light AF. Still, if my business strings together another couple of strong months a 1DX will be irresistible. As much as I like the 5DIII files, low light AF, high iso etc, the 1-Series body is my primary "go-to" camera. Hell, I'd like two 1DX bodies!

PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 01:01:35 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 01:27:22 AM »
There has been much focus on low light/high iso for the 1DX

I haven't been able to see much reporting on high light/low iso yet.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 01:40:53 AM »
I have discovered that if I put a kenko extension tube between the lens and extender it reports no aperture change and AF works fine obviously this is of limited use though
APS-H Fanboy

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 02:44:47 AM »
I really enjoyed the review, it is well written, easy to understand, and must have taken him quite some time to put together.

I was amazed by the 26 shot burst at 12fps he put together. Makes deciding which picture to use all that harder!

One thing I was surprised about is in the summary where he lists the pros and cons. Is there really no headphone jack on the 1D X?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 08:40:15 AM »
I have always been disappointed with the AF system and the slow burst rate of 3FPS... 

5DII is 4 fps
5Dc is 3fps

Actually the 5DII is 3.9 FPS.... but I wasn't really splitting hairs with my statement.  Just pointing out that it was slllooooowwwwww.    :P

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »

Brian,

Let's do this.  This weekend I'll shoot at ISO 50 on the 1DX and 1Ds3.  With a tripod of course.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »

Brian,

Let's do this.  This weekend I'll shoot at ISO 50 on the 1DX and 1Ds3.  With a tripod of course.

;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
and it appears that he tries to avoid being overly critical.

He's not always so nice, just depends on which reviews you look at:
Sigma 20mm f/1.8
"Unfortunately, I consider the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Lens to be unusable at f/1.8 unless you are looking for a soft-focus effect. This lens is one of the softest I've seen wide open.
In conclusion, I recommend not buying the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX DG Lens. Sorry Sigma, this one is a dud."

It's not just sigma:
EF 80-200
"The Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens is a very small, very light and very cheap telephoto zoom lens.
There is no sticker shock when checking the price on this lens. But, as often is the case, you get what you pay for.
With the Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens, you also get very cheap build quality.
Optically, the Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens is disappointing.
Basically, the Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lens is a very cheap telephoto zoom lens with performance relative to its cost."

Sure, with the L lenses and 1-series bodies he's not going to be too negative, but even in the 1DX review he says things like:
"...but first, I want to point out a potential downside for 1D Mark IV body owners looking to upgrade to the 1D X... This is of course disappointing to many extender users... The largest group of photographers affected by this change are, probably, bird photographers (such as Arthur Morris) - who have been dealt a double blow with the 1D X. Bird photography typically needs the most reach possible - through both lens focal length and sensor density. Increasing focal length via extenders has now been limited (for autofocus to function) and the 1D X has a less-dense sensor than either of the previous 1-Series models...
 This is, perhaps, the end of that era. I have to admit that I'm surprised by this design decision. "

He sounds almost British here, being polite as possible about a change for the worse when you can really tell he's annoyed by the no f/8 and knows a lot of others are too.

You just have to read between the lines a bit when reading his reviews, to tell which lenses/bodies he loves and which ones not so much...

I like his reviews, and his site, and his lens comparison tool is fantastic (and unique I think!) so don't get me wrong here.  I am a fan.  So don't take the following as criticism of his character or the value of his reviews, or the effort he puts in.

But saying he trashed a Sigma lens and sniffed at a few hapless non-L Canon lenses is missing the point.  My one niggle with Bryan's reviews is that sometimes it feels like he's never met a red-ring lens he didn't love (unless it has just been replaced with a new more expensive red-ringed mk2 lens), and he never gives the same kind of unqualified praise to any 3rd-party lenses. 

I don't call it a "bias" because that word has negative connotations, and he does it with great intentions.  I just think it is a point-of-view he brings to it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:48:38 PM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »

Well by no mean I am not a reference here but I am VERY impressed with the low ISO performnace of the 1DX.  The amount of details is incredible.  My only comparable point of reference would be the Nikon D4 since I already sold the 5D mkII and I have no experience with previous Canon 1D product.

That said, while I believe the Nikon D4 still has a higher DR at low ISO, I find the 1DX at ISO 100 to produce more impressive image.  As well, anything shot below ISO 500 is unbielevably good for me anyway.

The first image below is ISO 250 while the second one is ISO 400.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 07:42:44 PM »