April 21, 2014, 08:22:44 AM

Author Topic: 1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point  (Read 4310 times)

hammy

1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »
Does anyone have problem with the 1Dx multi controller selecting AF point ? I have problem trying to use to select AF point. not as responsive when compared to the Main dial/ and Quick control dial to select the AF point. I was wondering if i got a bad copy of the 1Dx

canon rumors FORUM

1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:29:49 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:32 AM »
Not sure what you mean by 'not as responsive'...  Both multi-controllers on mine work very well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

hammy

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:05 AM »
i tried to navigate the joystick to pick the AF point. Just as in the 5D2, i can use the joystick to toggle to the AF point i want but in the 1DX , it stops at certain point and i have to try several time to get the AF point to move.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 09:21:09 AM »
Does that occur with both multicontrollers?

Richard Lane

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »
Yes, my multi-controller  seems to stick a little too.  Sometimes it wouldn't move to the next AF point until I hit it over 2-3 times which is causing me to jerk the camera (not a good thing), but then it moves.

I will say that the 1DX multi-controller seems to be improving slowly over time, so perhaps it just needs some more time to break in.  I would recommend just moving the points up and down and in a circle clockwise and counter-clockwise to assist in breaking it in more and loosening up the weather-sealing.  This seems to be helping mine.  You really need to push the controller more sideways, which I'm finding a little hard to get a good grip on it because it is so stubby and I must have short thumbs.   My MKIV is much more responsive (broken in nicely) and it has more of raised lip to it, which makes it easier to feel and move.

As far as Neuro's question, for me the landscape multi-controller seems to be more of a problem compared to the vertical multi-controller, but some of that may be that the vertical multi-controller is closer to the edge and I'm getting a better grip on it.  No Pun intended! :D

Rich
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:12:39 PM by Richard Lane »

hammy

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:28:25 AM »
The vertical multi-controller joystick seems to work really well compared to the horizontal controller. I wonder why one works better than the other. i hope it's not a defect. Just got the camera 1 day ago and have been testing it out to see if it's just my camera that has the problem. Thanks for the reply.

Richard Lane

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:55:59 AM »
The vertical multi-controller joystick seems to work really well compared to the horizontal controller. I wonder why one works better than the other. i hope it's not a defect. Just got the camera 1 day ago and have been testing it out to see if it's just my camera that has the problem. Thanks for the reply.

I think the vertical one is mounted in a better position, and it's in a more level position, and it's also mounted closer to the edge of the camera. 

The horizontal controller appears to be mounted on a slight angle if you view it from the side, and it's also farther away from the edge, so for me at least it's harder to get a good grip on it.  However, sometimes I feel like I'm right on it and it still doesn't respond.  I'll also have to see if it breaks in a little over time.

Personally, I feel that the 7D and MKIV multi-controllers are way easier to manipulate, than this stubby little controller.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:14:24 AM by Richard Lane »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:55:59 AM »

hammy

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
Yea- So it's not just my camera that has the problem then. i'm hoping it will get better with time as well. It's perplexing when one controller is right on the money where-ever and when-ever i move it, while the other are not very responsive/ accurate. I used the main dial and the quick control dial to get accurate AF point.

SpencerImages

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 12:36:29 AM »
Yeah, mine is sluggish too. It is particularly noticeable for me when trying to move around a zoomed in image. Sometimes you have to hit it 5-6 times before it moves the image, and it doesn't pan constantly when held down.
Bloody frustrating, particularly when trying to quickly change the AF point.

M.ST

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 03:30:05 AM »
The 1D X multi controller works fine, but in the production models there are problems.

Sometimes the multi controller knob fall off, sometimes the multi controller dont do his job correctly.

I report the problems a few month ago to CPS Europe and CPS Germany.

It´s a shame that Canon dont do her job and fix the problems.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 05:16:55 AM »
I'm almost glad I had to skip my reserved 1d X the other day, mainly because it was nearly TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS-!! But also because it's really starting to add up with issues that we didn't see to this extent with 5d3.

I'm happy to wait now, but I'm still getting one...
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
I'm happy to report that both my multicontrollers are sufficiently and equally sensitive.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
I'm happy to report that both my multicontrollers are sufficiently and equally sensitive.

It's very funny if you replace "multicontrollers" with nipples  ;D Yes, yes, I am very tired  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
To the people having difficulty with the Multi-controller. How long have you had your camera?

I have mine about 10 days, and I feel that it is starting to improve slowly. 

The other thing I wanted to point out is that:

With the 1DMKIV, the viewfinder and AF point turn off together after about 7-8 seconds:

1) all you had to do, to wake up the AF points was to press the center of the multi-controller, then select your AF position with the multi-controller while your thumb is already on that button (Mutli-Controller Button) "thumb"
2) then shoot (Shutter Button) "index finger"

With the 1DX, after the viewfinder lights turn off, and the AF point stays on but is inactive.

1) you have to first press the shutter button to wake up the viewfinder and AF points (Shutter Button) "thumb"
2) then choose the AF point (Multi-Controller Button) "index finger"
3) then shoot (Shutter Button) "thumb"

I use AF-On back button to focus, so I start my shooting sequence in this order; AF point selection (thumb), focusing (thumb), shutter button (index finger). 

I don't start with half-press shutter button (index finger) to activate VF and AF point activation, then select AF point with mutlti-controller (thumb), focusing (thumb), then back to shutter button for firing (index finger).

I'm finding this change quite annoying and I'm not sure why Canon changed this as an extra button press for the 1D series? 

It's really messing me up.  I continuously change the AF point position as I'm following the action and tracking a subject to pick the best composition.  Sometimes there may be a pause in the action for 10 seconds and now I have to press the shutter button to activate the VF and AF point display, prior to selecting my new AF point position for composition and then it sometimes sticks, compared to the MKIV. :o

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also to others having difficulty with the Multi-controller.  If it gets a little stuck and 8 seconds goes by, or you haven't touched a setting for 8 seconds, you first must hit the shutter button to wake up the VF and AF points and some of the "initial" non-responsiveness may be due to the inactive AF point as the display is asleep.

Rich

EDITED:  You may also press the AF-On Button to wake up the VF and AF point on the 7D, MKIV and 1DX.  So, only the MKIV can additionally wake up the VF and AF point with the Multi-controller.  Perhaps this feature can be added to the 7D and 1DX with a firmware update.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:08:45 PM by Richard Lane »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
To the people having having difficulty with the Multi-controller. How long have you had your camera?

I have mine about 10 days, and I feel that it is starting to improve slowly. 

The other thing I wanted to point out is that:

With the 1DMKIV, the viewfinder and AF point turn off together after about 7-8 seconds:

1) all you had to do to wake up the AF points was to press the center of the multi-controller, then select your AF       position with the multi-controller while your thumb is already on that button (Mutli-Controller Button) "thumb"
2) then shoot (Shutter Button) "index finger"

With the 1DX, after the viewfinder lights turn off, and the AF point stays on but is inactive.

1) you have to first press the shutter button to wake it up the viewfinder and AF points (Shutter Button) "thumb"
2) then choose the AF point (Multi-Controller Button) "index finger"
3) then shoot (Shutter Button) "thumb"

I use AF-On back button to focus, so I start my shooting sequence in this order; AF point selection (thumb), focusing (thumb), shutter button (index finger). 

I don't start with half-press shutter button (index finger) to activate VF and AF point activation, then select AF point with mutlti-controller (thumb), then back to shutter button for firing (index finger).

I'm finding this change quite annoying and I'm not sure why Canon changed this as an extra button press for the 1D series? 

It's really messing me up.  I continuously change the AF point position as I'm following the action and tracking a subject to pick the best composition.  Sometimes there may be a pause in the action for 10 seconds and now I have to press the shutter button to activate the VF and AF point display, prior to selecting my new AF point position for composition and then it sometimes sticks, compared to the MKIV. :o

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Also to others having difficulty with the Multi-controller.  If it gets a little stuck and 8 seconds goes by, or you haven't touched a setting for 8 seconds, you first must hit the shutter button to wake up the VF and AF points and some of the "initial" non-responsiveness may be due to the inactive AF point as the display is asleep.

Rich

That's good to know, I always used the 1d4 as you described, but have my 5d3 set up a bit different so I haven't really noticed this, but still annoyed over the wakeup time...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »