September 20, 2014, 10:13:25 PM

Author Topic: 1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point  (Read 4840 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1Dx multi controller not responsive when selecting AF point
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
Rich, in the custom controls screen, do you have the multicontroller set to direct AF point selection?  That eliminates the need to press the AF point selection button first.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »
Thanks John (Neuro), but I do have my custom screen set to multi-controller AF point selection, that's not the issue. 

With the 1DX, what is happening is that the VF screen, which also shows the AF points goes to sleep after about 8 seconds.  Keep in mind that you can still see where the AF point is in the VF, even when it's asleep.  However, that AF point is actually "not active" and will not move until you wake it up with a Half-Press of the shutter button. 

With the MKIV, I used to be able to wake up the VF and AF point by pressing the multi-controller, so since my thumb was now already on the multi-controller, I could just move the Multi-controller which moves the AF point in one swift motion, but now on the 1DX I have to first do a half-press of the shutter button to wake up the VF and AF point, and then after that I can choose my AF point with the mutli-controller since they are now awake.

So, it's an extra step, and it's going against my instincts, which I used to do quickly without thinking.

I was also wondering if some people feel that the AF point is not responding, because even though you can see the AF point in the VF, it is asleep until the half-shutter press, but like others, mine was also sticking a bit and now it seems to be loosening up a little.

Rich
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:53:33 PM by Richard Lane »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Could be that's a 'feature' of the transmissive LCD? 

Richard Lane

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »
Maybe.., because the 7D reacts the same as the 1DX in this situation, but if a half-shutter press can wake up the VF and AF points, then I think Canon should also be able to wake up the VF and AF points via a single press of the Multi-controller in the 1DX. 

I appreciated the one-less step when I went from the 7D to MKIV, but I thought it was a little odd to have the extra step when going from the 1DMKIV to 1DX.

I can certainly live it with it, but when I'm shooting one game with the MKIV and 1DX it should be interesting. I do think it would be easy to add this capability to the 1DX with a firmware update, especially if it also bothers other people, who will be using both cameras.

Richard Lane

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »
The scenario where I noticed that the multi-controller wouldn't wake up the VF was yesterday. I was waiting for a bird to take off, and I locked focus on the bird with the AF-On button, then 8 seconds went by and I had my thumb on the multi-controller to better compose the bird in flight (since I didn't know which direction it was going to take off in) and to allow it room to fly into the frame. So now the bird takes off and when I go to move the AF point with the multi-controller, nothing happened because the VF was asleep and I couldn't move the AF point. I guess there will be a learning curve with any new body.

I just discovered another option. The 7D, MKIV, and 1DX can also wake up the VF and AF points by pressing the "AF-ON button," as well as the half-shutter press.  I didn't realize that yesterday when I was shooting, but I did just notice this now in my living-room.  So, this will be my way of doing it from now on, but it's still an extra step compared to also being able to wake up the VF and AF points with the multi-controller on the MKIV.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:29:47 PM by Richard Lane »

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
now I have to press the shutter button to activate the VF and AF point display, prior to selecting my new AF point position for composition and then it sometimes sticks, compared to the MKIV. :o

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Rich

You can also program the 1DX to allow you to move the auto focus point by simply pressing the joy stick sideways or vertical.  There is no need to press any other buttons.  I have mine set this way and love it.

It is called "AF point direct selection" under custom controls.

-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
You can also program the 1DX to allow you to move the auto focus point by simply pressing the joy stick sideways or vertical.  There is no need to press any other buttons.  I have mine set this way and love it.

Yep - and as Rich stated above, he's got that setting enabled (as do I). 

The issue he's talking about is that when the metering timer shuts off (which is after 6-7 seconds), you can look through the VF and see the selected AF point, but moving the multicontroller does nothing.  You must half-press the shutter or press the AF-ON button, which re-engages metering, and also re-activates AF point selection.

There's a C.Fn to set the metering time out for Live View shooting, but I don't see one to extend the metering timing for VF shooting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »

Yep - and as Rich stated above, he's got that setting enabled (as do I). 

The issue he's talking about is that when the metering timer shuts off (which is after 6-7 seconds), you can look through the VF and see the selected AF point, but moving the multicontroller does nothing.  You must half-press the shutter or press the AF-ON button, which re-engages metering, and also re-activates AF point selection.

There's a C.Fn to set the metering time out for Live View shooting, but I don't see one to extend the metering timing for VF shooting.

Hmm, not sure I have noticed if the timeout had occurred or not.  I'll give that a try and see.  Maybe I just half press the shutter from muscle memory due to all of these years of half pressing the shutter button.   :-\
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 12:00:43 PM »
Hmm, not sure I have noticed if the timeout had occurred or not.  I'll give that a try and see.  Maybe I just half press the shutter from muscle memory due to all of these years of half pressing the shutter button.   :-\

Yeah, I do that, too...and so I didn't notice it in practical use.  But when I checked, sure enough, it's there.

Richard Lane

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 02:25:08 PM »

Hi Darrin,

Thanks for trying to help out!   But as Neuro confirmed the AF points time out when the AF Start/metering times out.  I didn't notice it in the house with test shots either.  But, I like to shoot sports and action and sometimes it's necessary to pre-focus to a certain area and then re-compose the AF points as the athlete or subject enters the frame, and then as I'm patiently waiting for peak action.... tic-toc, 7 seconds goes by, and then I try to move the AF point prior to firing away my pre-focused burst, and well.....nuttin' happens.  It's not really a problem now that I'm aware of it and I'll get used to it.

The MKIV allowed prefocus, then re-composing of the AF point with the multi-controller and then fire away. Now I just have to press the AF-On button, prior to recomposing the AF point.  Hopefully, those Olympic Photographers had more than a couple of days with their new 1DX.  I'm sure I was low on the list. :)

Incidentally, the Pre-focus Ring on the super-telephotos doesn't wake up the VF/AF points on either camera.

I really enjoyed your website by-the-way.., very nice!

Rich

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »

Hi Darrin,

Thanks for trying to help out!   But as Neuro confirmed the AF points time out when the AF Start/metering times out.  I didn't notice it in the house with test shots either.  But, I like to shoot sports and action and sometimes it's necessary to pre-focus to a certain area and then re-compose the AF points as the athlete or subject enters the frame, and then as I'm patiently waiting for peak action.... tic-toc, 7 seconds goes by, and then I try to move the AF point prior to firing away my pre-focused burst, and well.....nuttin' happens.  It's not really a problem now that I'm aware of it and I'll get used to it.

The MKIV allowed prefocus, then re-composing of the AF point with the multi-controller and then fire away. Now I just have to press the AF-On button, prior to recomposing the AF point.  Hopefully, those Olympic Photographers had more than a couple of days with their new 1DX.  I'm sure I was low on the list. :)

Incidentally, the Pre-focus Ring on the super-telephotos doesn't wake up the VF/AF points on either camera.

I really enjoyed your website by-the-way.., very nice!

Rich

Thanks Rich.  I am just starting to use the 1DX and the 200 f/2 combo more often with sports so I am trying to figure out the best setup.  Haven't been using the prefocus button/ring on that lens yet.  So far the C1, C2 setup allows me to do all that I need as far as quick configuration changes, but I am still finding those little things like this timeout you mentioned.  It all depends on what I am shooting as to when I might find a new issue with the 1DX that I need to work out.  So far everything has had a solution of some sort (other than the AFMA bug) even if it requires operating the camera a bit differently than my 1DM4.  :P

-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »