July 31, 2014, 03:19:00 PM

Author Topic: Canon 500 availability ?  (Read 12492 times)

brant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 500 availability ?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
Ugh... it looks like the wait for both the 500s and 600s is 1 - 2 months.  :-\ I was really hoping it would be sooner. I'm going to cancel my pre-order for the 500 and go with the 600. The one inch difference probably won't make a difference in the negative/positive attention you get in public.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
it looks like the wait for both the 500s and 600s is 1 - 2 months.

The wait from whom?  B&H, Adorama, etc.?  Thanks!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

brant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
B&H, Amazon, Adorama, Camera Canada... pretty much everybody.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
B&H, Amazon, Adorama, Camera Canada... pretty much everybody.
Thanks.  I ask because B&H and Adorama, at least, don't seem to give an actual delivery estimate.  Nor does Amazon for the 600 II, although the 500 II indicates "Usually ships in 1-3 months," (but from what I've seen, Amazon's estimates are about as accurate as my local weather forecast - the one that says 'sunny' when I'm standing outside getting rained on...).

Have you spoken with a CSR at B&H or Adorama?  I tried today with B&H, but they're closed until Thursday...

brant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 12:59:30 PM »
I only spoke with someone on the phone at B&H, but to be honest, I think it might have just been a sales representative. The other places I received email replies.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
I only spoke with someone on the phone at B&H, but to be honest, I think it might have just been a sales representative. The other places I received email replies.

Good to know.  I'll check with B&H when they re-open (my order was placed just over a month ago).

brant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
I think I am going to go crazy waiting for this.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 03:56:47 PM »
I think you guy’s have waaay to much money….. where’s the green with envy icon :'(

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »
Yes, the supertele will get you noticed!  I doubt there'd be much real difference between the 500 II and 600 II in terms of getting noticed.  Having said that, with the hood in place, the 600/4 is the largest of the current Canon lenses (bigger than the 800/5.6). 

Personally, I shoot a lot of birds so the 600mm is the better choice.  Combined with the 1.4x III, the resulting IQ at 840mm f/5.6 is equivalent to the 800/5.6 lens, and while no shorter, the combo is a lot lighter.

And you can go back to just 600 with an extra stop of light, but not with the 800.

brant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 12:12:08 PM »
Well thanks to this thread and to a member on this forum (who shall remain anonymous), I now have a 600mm F4 is II on the way!! It's not from one of the big retailers, but a smaller family owned store. They got the lens in a few days ago, and I was lucky enough to grab it. It should be here sometime tomorrow!!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 01:34:37 PM »
B&H had both the 500/4 II and the 600/4 II listed as in stock for a brief period of time on Friday, 9/28.  They went back out of stock very quickly.

I take that to mean they filled all their pre-orders, and had a few left to sell.  Unfortunately, they're closed until 10/9.  But when they reopen, it means a short queue for their next delivery!

Richard Lane

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
Unfortunately, they're closed until 10/9.  But when they reopen, it means a short queue for their next delivery!

That's great news John and Brant!

Bummer, that they're closed now.., that's torture!  :'(

I would definitely say that the queue is inversely proportional to the price! ;)

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
I do have issues with the design of the tripod foot. The balance is wrong for me when using it on my video head. Curious if anyone else has seen this. I haven't read anything about it in any of the reviews.

Are you directly mounting the foot, using a lens plate (which one?), or a replacement foot (which one?)?

I'm using a Manfrotto 519 video head and one of their standard mounting plates. I've used the Canon supplied "Monopod Foot" mounted in reverse. As you can see the CG is near the center of the tripod collar. Not a big deal. I'm getting used to it and it works very well. Just not what you are used to seeing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
It's noticeably sharper than "old 500". I do have issues with the design of the tripod foot. The balance is wrong for me when using it on my video head. Curious if anyone else has seen this. I haven't read anything about it in any of the reviews.

I also noticed that the center of gravity isn't exactly over the base of the tripod foot.  It's more over the "heel" of the foot. I know Canon removed the front glass protective element on the 500mm to reduce weight. Perhaps that combined with the heavier 1DX tilts the balance towards the camera. The balance is further displaced rearwards with the teleconverter attached.

The only place that I've heard this mentioned was on the Really Right Stuff website and regarding their new replacement foot II version.

I was still able to balance the 500II and 1DX on the Wimberley gimbal head, but I was also using a long 6 inch Wimberley plate, which seemed to give me flexibility in adjusting the center of gravity, by sliding the lens forward.

Here's a few picks of the set-up.  Sorry about the poor quality, as it was extremely overcast.

Please note that the center of gravity was perfectly balanced as it was positioned in the photos, however I tilted the lens upward and locked the Wimberley head, just for the photos, as these were taken a few weeks ago.

Note that the lens plate is pushed fairly far forward to achieve balance and that the gimbal head knob in the last 2 photos is centered over the "heel of the lens foot and not the base of the lens foot."

What do you do if you have either of the Extenders mounted to the lens? The lens needs to be slid forward. Seems you'd run out of mounting plate in the clamp.

Waterloo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
Actually if you scroll down a bit on this web page:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-500mm-f-4-L-IS-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

You can see a comparison of the two 500mm lenses and the differences in the foot and its location. I never had trouble balancing the "old" 500.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »