December 23, 2014, 12:20:31 AM

Author Topic: Insurance for Camera gear  (Read 12724 times)

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance for Camera gear
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »
Strange, just contacted a State Farm agent here (WA), and she said I'm not eligible for their insurance unless 80% of my photo work is at a (my) studio.

She gave me info for another insurance company which might be able to help.

Maybe try a new agent? I use to have a  personal articles policy with State Farm for my underwater housing and video camera. Only eligible if 80% of my use was underwater ;D

Found out what the problem was, if you make any money with your gear, it's whole new level.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

ScubaX

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2014, 08:09:45 PM »
Strange, just contacted a State Farm agent here (WA), and she said I'm not eligible for their insurance unless 80% of my photo work is at a (my) studio.

Maybe try a new agent? I use to have a  personal articles policy with State Farm for my underwater housing and video camera. Only eligible if 80% of my use was underwater ;D

Found out what the problem was, if you make any money with your gear, it's whole new level.

Greedy B****rds! I wonder what would happen if I was insured with them and then sold that underwater video? I did sell them to my fellow divers but not at a profit, just cost. What if you took an amazing photo, that someone wanted and you sold it to them and at the same time lost your gear? I do get to sell them, so that makes me wonder if they would actually pay on a loss?
5DMK3, BG-E11, RRS L-Plate, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6L IS, 400 5.6L, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS Macro, 24-105 4.0L IS, 50 1.4, Extenders 2x III & 1.4x III,  Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ MH054M0-Q2 BH converted to A-S, full kit of Lee Filters, F-Stop Satori, Loka and Guru. Modded Black Rapid

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »

Greedy B****rds! I wonder what would happen if I was insured with them and then sold that underwater video? I did sell them to my fellow divers but not at a profit, just cost. What if you took an amazing photo, that someone wanted and you sold it to them and at the same time lost your gear? I do get to sell them, so that makes me wonder if they would actually pay on a loss?

You may find the answers to those questions and others in the policy from State Farm.  It's always a good idea to read over your policy, if for no other reason than to make sure you understood everything your agent said, and if they said everything you need to know.  The time to do that is NOW...before you find your claim being denied because of some clause in a policy which you didn't read.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »

You may find the answers to those questions and others in the policy from State Farm.  It's always a good idea to read over your policy, if for no other reason than to make sure you understood everything your agent said, and if they said everything you need to know.  The time to do that is NOW...before you find your claim being denied because of some clause in a policy which you didn't read.
A good idea for every insurance policy :)  I have commercial photography insurance through NANPA / Rand (I think I posted that earlier in this thread) and the only somewhat unusual exclusion in the policy is that they don't cover gear that's attached to a motorized device (i.e. drones, remote control vehicles).  No big deal for me, but I would never have expected that to be in there had I not read it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »