November 26, 2014, 09:21:17 AM

Author Topic: Canon 5d Mark III Eyepiece cover  (Read 7579 times)

Otter

Canon 5d Mark III Eyepiece cover
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »
Does the 5d Mark III come with an eyepiece cover that you can cover up the viewfinder/eyepiece when taking a long exposure to prevent light from coming in?  I heard some have a eyepiece cover on the strap.

thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5d Mark III Eyepiece cover
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:16:30 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5d Mark III Eyepiece cover
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 04:25:41 PM »
It should come already attached to the strap, according to the manual.  It's a small, rubber rectangle, you have to remove the eyecup to attach the cover.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Otter

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
ok, thanks.  I haven't noticed it nor looked for it on the strap.  I'll take a peek when I get home.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Given that Canon built in viewfinder shutters in the past, why such a crappy solution in such expensive a camera (I can understand for lesser models) is there a practical reason why a built in blind is no longer possible? Just wondering

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
Given that Canon built in viewfinder shutters in the past, why such a crappy solution in such expensive a camera (I can understand for lesser models) is there a practical reason why a built in blind is no longer possible? Just wondering

No, it's just that the 5-series is in that 'lesser models' category in this case.  My 1D X, like previous 1-series bodies, has a built-in, lever-activated VF shutter.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »
Yes, all 1D series have VF shutters. Canon just did this on purpose to make 5D owners feel inferior in some cases so more can be pushed up to buy 1D
In case you haven't noticed, nearly every product line in the world differentiates models by adding more features to the high end models. 
It does not matter if its a camera, a television set, or a automobile.

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »

No, it's just that the 5-series is in that 'lesser models' category in this case.  My 1D X, like previous 1-series bodies, has a built-in, lever-activated VF shutter.

Ah that makes sense, didn't know that, makes sense on 1D series though. Don't think any 5D never mind the 5D3 deserves the 'lesser' status (my words) but understandable cheers   :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 11:36:36 PM »
Has anybody managed to found a custom viewfinder with a lever for 5D III?
I'm really annoyed with swapping the cover and eyepiece that came with camera. I'll lose one or another sooner or later.
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
Has anybody managed to found a custom viewfinder with a lever for 5D III?
I'm really annoyed with swapping the cover and eyepiece that came with camera. I'll lose one or another sooner or later.

I used to just hang the lens cap from the eyecup.  Always with you, easy, and blocks the light.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
it comes wrapped seperately in a plastic bag they are really quite crap i just keep a black lens cloth in my bag.

I think there is a market for a good 3rd party replacement eyecup with build in blind, i've looked and have not found anything
APS-H Fanboy

tomms

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »

I think there is a market for a good 3rd party replacement eyecup with build in blind, i've looked and have not found anything

I would kill for one of these, i have lost countless rubber eyecaps, im tired of them

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
it comes wrapped seperately in a plastic bag they are really quite crap i just keep a black lens cloth in my bag.

I think the only time I have used my blind is when the camera has been mounted on the telescope.... the rest of the time I never remember it...... Canon thinks you should carry it attached to the strap... but how many of us use the factory strap?

I'm sure if you could make one with duct tape and magnets they would sell like crazy :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Kumakun

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
I carry the eye cover in the little pocket that comes on my Rapid Strap, along with my wireless remote.  Yeah, I wish Canon made one with a built in shutter as well. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »

strykapose

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:55 PM »
Mine came with a piece of black tape...LOL

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »
I was going to say - what about a few pieces of gaffers stuck to the prism. Pull it off and stick it over the eyecup when you need it. I keep a few pieces stuck to my 1Ds's prism, just in case you need it for something (and it take the abuse of scratching the top instead of the paint!). I also have chunks of tape stuck to my straps, cases, bags, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »