September 19, 2014, 02:08:51 AM

Author Topic: EOS 60D Notes [CR2]  (Read 30704 times)

stark-arts

Re: EOS 60D Notes [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »
I think the whole metal vs. plastic thing is over done as well. Glocks are made of "plastic" - doesn't seem to hurt anything. If the seals are there then the camera will be just as weather sealed as a mag alloy body. The advantages will be lighter weight and less cost.

I had hoped for mag alloy but don't think it's a make or break option. I need a back up for my 5DII and will probably pick this up over the T2I since I'll assume that that same sensor will be slightly improved a year in to it's existence much the same way nikons 12mp sensor got better and better in each generation.

once this camera gets down to 1000 ish it shoudl be a super star....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 09:45:08 AM »

Richard

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »
Due to the falling value of the US dollar relative to the Yen, to keep pricing like the 40D and 50D, Canon must adopt cheaper production cost such as plastic bodies.

This is the 5 year trend of the USD vs. Yen

http://www.forecast-chart.com/usd-japanese-yen.html

When the 40D and 50D were introduced in September 2007 and 2008, the yen 100+ per dollar. Today, it is ~80 yen per dollar, a 20%+ decrease in the value of the USD. The forecast I've seen do not suggest it will reach the 100+ yen/dollar level any time soon. Its easy to blame Canon if they go with plastic bodies, but they have to do what they have to do given its produced entirely in Asia.     

MadButcher

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »
I want to look futher in the future.
I think a pair of glasses that would perform as a wireless viewfinder for a photo-/video-camera would be great.
No articulating screen needed.
But always able to see what the camera's sees (offcourse with a switch button).
This would give even more creativity than a articulating screen.
And no need to turn the screen.

afrank99

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 20D+7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »
I want to look futher in the future.
I think a pair of glasses that would perform as a wireless viewfinder for a photo-/video-camera would be great.
No articulating screen needed.
But always able to see what the camera's sees (offcourse with a switch button).
This would give even more creativity than a articulating screen.
And no need to turn the screen.

Why not build it yourself?
It's all there: LiveView, Video-out, wireless video transmitters, LCD glasses.

CameraAddict

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:21 AM »
Plastic is okay per se.  If it's anywhere near as flimsy as the T2i, or if the shutter sounds as horribly bad, I may be switching to Nikon.  I don't want a 7D, too much money since I don't need its features, but I won't "upgrade" to a flimsy plastic 60D.  If they try to essentially "force" me into a 7D price point, then buh-bye Canon!  I hope they're listening.

I love my 50D.  It's almost a relief to figure I probably won't be hankering for something new.  But I also won't be getting any new lenses if they're going in the plastic fantastic direction.  I don't see investing in a technology that I can't grow.

Shompis

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »
Homage to the D60? Wasn't it all plastic? That said, I also want a Mg body, it just feels sturdier.

CameraAddict

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »
Looking at the pictures of the presumed 60D, the scratches near the flash popup button seem to show metal beneath.

Also, to those who say that Canon will have to make the move to plastic because of the Yen versus dollar:  That doesn't explain why Nikon's D95 will be magnesium!

I suspect the plastic body CR2 is bogus... How's that!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 11:16:07 AM »

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 11:22:20 AM »
Looking at the pictures of the presumed 60D, the scratches near the flash popup button seem to show metal beneath.

Also, to those who say that Canon will have to make the move to plastic because of the Yen versus dollar:  That doesn't explain why Nikon's D95 will be magnesium!

I suspect the plastic body CR2 is bogus... How's that!
Would be cool! But the "scratches" near the flash popup button is the 60D (probably) sign from the side... ;)

mushin

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »
Just want to point out not all plastics are the same. There are *significant* differences between cheap plastics and the high quality stuff. We tend to associate plastic with cheap, since most consumer goods use cheap plastics to keep costs down, but some of the better plastics have quite impressive performance characteristics. Of course I don't know what Canon will use here - cost is obviously a factor - but the fact that they chose to go with plastic in itself shouldn't be a big deal.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 11:52:04 AM »
Many people like the reduced weight of the Rebel bodies but complain about the small grip.

Now, Canon is releasing a relatively lightweight (hopefully) body with substantial grip, clearly taking a leaf from Nikon's wildly popular D90. And people are still whining.

???  ???  :o
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:55:31 AM by Woody »

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:12 PM »
I'll assume that that same sensor will be slightly improved a year in to it's existence much the same way nikons 12mp sensor got better and better in each generation.

Well, Nikon's D90/D5000 seems to have a 'better' imaging sensor than the D300 only because they resort to in-camera RAW NR which is easy to implement in slower (lower fps) cameras. BUT the NEWER D300s sensor is still very much like the D300. :)

pgabor

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Many people like the reduced weight of the Rebel bodies but complain about the small grip.

Now, Canon is releasing a relatively lightweight (hopefully) body with substantial grip, clearly taking a leaf from Nikon's wildly popular D90. And people are still whining.

???  ???  :o

People are always whining, just not always the same people.

that1guy

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
I'm kinda bummed about the plastic (if it is true).  I know it doesn't affect the quality of the photos, but it does affect the quality of my camera...after I drop it :(  Now, if they make it out of the same plastic as a Glock, I will take that back ;)

Now if they made a plastic body FF camera for say, under $2k, you might be able to get me to switch to a plastic body...just sayin' :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
Magnesium body sound good, in theory. I am wondering how many people have the shutter release button fail in the X0D before the magnesium body fail. I am one of them. On the other hand, I am also wondering how many people have the shutter release button fail before the plastic body fail. For me, the form factor and ergonomics of the body is more important than the material of the body. It cost $250 to replace the shutter release button.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:11:18 PM by Rocky »

stark-arts

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
I'll assume that that same sensor will be slightly improved a year in to it's existence much the same way nikons 12mp sensor got better and better in each generation.

Well, Nikon's D90/D5000 seems to have a 'better' imaging sensor than the D300 only because they resort to in-camera RAW NR which is easy to implement in slower (lower fps) cameras. BUT the NEWER D300s sensor is still very much like the D300. :)

I understand your point but if you look at the evolution from the D3 to d700 to d3s they definitely got more and more bang for the buck out of the same sensor. I only said 12 - i didn't say which one  :P

And the d300s is slightly better than the others... cleaner i mean.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »