November 27, 2014, 02:38:40 PM

Author Topic: Canon USA Announces EF 300mm, 400mm, 500mm and 600mm L IS II Lens Firmware Version 1.1.1  (Read 8851 times)

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Is there a way to check firmware version of lenses?  I'm thinking this may be an issue in the future for 1Dx users shopping for used supertele lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Just to let everyone know here is a email I received from canon after my inquiry.

Thank you for your inquiry about the firmware update for your EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens.  We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The firmware update changes things in the lens itself, so it will benefit any camera body it is attached to, not just the EOS-1D X or the EOS 5D Mark III.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Was the "issue" for the 5d3 and 200/2 addressed?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

krisu

I spoke to the Canon US service center in Irvine yesterday, and was told:
a) the firmware itself is not yet available; keep watching the support site
b) the newest bodies (e.g. 1DX, 5D3, 4Ti) will be able to update the lens firmware

So if you have one of the affected lenses, but not one of the newest bodies, find a friend that does so you won't have to ship your lens to a service center.

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
b) the newest bodies (e.g. 1DX, 5D3, 4Ti) will be able to update the lens firmware

So if you have one of the affected lenses, but not one of the newest bodies, find a friend that does so you won't have to ship your lens to a service center.

Strange just got the new firmware installed on my lens.
Done in the Netherlands by Techrepair.

When checking the firmware you also see the 600 II firmware now.
See screenshot

The lens Firmware will not be available for download (like camera firmware) !!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:21:47 PM by altenae »

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Getting my canon 300 mm 2.8 II back from Irvine today with the new firmware.  Can't wait

krisu

After waiting patiently for the firmware to post, I finally called Canon USA again.  Turns out that only the new 40mm can be upgraded via the newer bodies, so I do need to send my 300 in.  The good news is that they sent me a prepaid shipping label.

canon rumors FORUM

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
Was the "issue" for the 5d3 and 200/2 addressed?

The 200L backfocus issue was resolve for the 1DX via the 1DX firmware update but I don't think the firmware fix has been released for the 5D3 yet.  Good news is that my 200L appears to be spot on with my 1DX after the firmware update so hopefully it will be fixed for the 5D3 soon as well.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos

After waiting patiently for the firmware to post, I finally called Canon USA again.  Turns out that only the new 40mm can be upgraded via the newer bodies, so I do need to send my 300 in.  The good news is that they sent me a prepaid shipping label.

The 300/400/500/600 II will also be upgraded by Canon service centers with the 1Dx,5D3,4Ti, but the firmware of these super telelenses will not be made public like the firmware of the 40mm !!

Edward

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
To repeat my reply on another thread, I took my 300mm f/2.8 II to the London Canon Centre (Elstree), where it was upgraded on the spot in about 10 minutes. It has improved the reproducibility of autofocus on my 7D so it is spot on just about every time whereas before it was bit erratic - I use the lens for bird photos about 10-50 yards away and if the focus is not absolutely perfect the shots are useless.
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
The process of upgrading the Super Telephoto Series II lenses firmware is the same with the 40mm pancake firmware.

My guess is that the recall was done for the following reasons

- Canon doesn't want the firmware dissected by competing companies. Thus the controls put in place
- Only 2012 Canon bodies can do lens firmware upgrades. As indicated in the 40mm pancake firmware announcement
- Canon wants to inspect recently bought lenses for any defects

It took less than 5 minutes to do. I went through 2 hours of traffic to get it done. It was OK as I was also getting something near by.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM