December 18, 2014, 08:46:45 AM

Author Topic: Anyone used a LED ring light for macro?  (Read 5773 times)

underjammer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone used a LED ring light for macro?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »
This thing is pretty cheap, and it uses your existing speedlight.  It's kinda big/bulky, but it works really well.  For macro, though, I'm not sure if the lens itself would get in the way and cause shading, etc..

http://www.diy-lighting-kits.com/ring-flash/

For macro, you might also want to look into a softbox, rather than a ring light.  Here's a place to start for softbox / macro lighting investigating.

http://www.diyphotography.net/three-super-macro-rigs-you-can-build-at-home

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 12:34:42 AM »
I have been using the ring flash MT-24EX. I know it's damn expensive but as I tried many possible combinations with speedlights and all, I found there's nothing like it. On top, it has the wireless function for more flash for back-lighting or rim. I purchased some cold-shoe risers and cap diffusers. I could not find any that would fit the MT24 but found some that are designed for smaller flashes that, after cutting a bit here and there, reasonably fit. There are third party ring flashes but I would have some concerns with durability and compatibility. Whatever grudge with may hold against Canon sometimes - where, by Jove, is the 24-70II ??? -  they know how to design the perfect and expensive product. IMO, in terms of use, there's no comparison with anything else, especially for "live" macro in nature. I even re-sold my tripod as, with this baby, I now can take all my shots handheld.

Bennymiata

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
I was in a similar dilema a few years ago and thought I'd try a cheap Chinese ring flash from DHGate befor eI spent $$$ on a Canon unit.
I thought that for $70 or so, it was worth the risk, and I am still using and abusing it, and it does the job.
It does the job so well, I haven't even thought about buying a better one, yet.

It screwed on perfectly with my Canon 60mm macro lens.
It also came with various step up and down rings too.

All adjustments have to be made via the camera's menu, but that's no biggie.

Even though it's only about 58mm in diameter, I bought a step up ring to fit my Sigma 150mm macro lens which has a diameter of 72mm, and I was really surprised that there is no vignetting with it (even on my 5D3), even though the opening is so much smaller than the Sigma's front element.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »