January 16, 2018, 10:29:25 PM

Author Topic: Wide angle lens for EF-S?  (Read 6109 times)

killswitch

• EOS M5
Re: Wide angle lens for EF-S?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
For me Tokina, all the way. I have had the same dilemma as you when I was hunting for a UWA for my crop body. I returned the Canon 10-22, as it felt like a plastic toy beside the tokina which is built like a tank and was not as sharp as the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 DX Pro. Solid construction, and razor sharp. Yes that 1mm difference is what you loose if you get the tokina, but the sharpness you get from this beast is razor like ( even at f2.8 ). The color rendered from the tokina is amazing given it's a 3rd party lens. Also it gives you awesome 8 stars on street lights/light source when stopped down. Pair the tokina with a multi-coated circular polarizer from B+W or Hoya and you will love what it spits out.

The only thing that had me thinking is the lens flare. Yes, Canon controls lens flare a bit better, but it is not too bad in tokina. I have been shooting over 1.5 years with the tokina and so far lens flare has never given me any  trouble. Also, depending on what you are shooting you can use the lens flare generated from UWA lens to your advantage as an aesthetic element in your composition. Also, I thought the shorter focal range in tokina might come off as a disadvantage for me when composing. So far, I have shot mostly at 11mm and wish I could go even lower/wider and not up. Tokina's 11-16mm Mark II now has a built in AF drive hence it is also a lot quieter.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:28:25 PM by killswitch »

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Wide angle lens for EF-S?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »