July 15, 2018, 09:15:19 PM

Author Topic: In Camera Nosie/Sharpen, etc - JPEG Only?  (Read 1946 times)

gbchriste

• EOS M5
In Camera Nosie/Sharpen, etc - JPEG Only?
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »
I've always been a straight RAW shooter.  The only time I've shot to JPEG is on a couple of events where I wasn't going to do any post processing and needed to hand the memory card off to someone else at the end of the day.  But I've got something coming up where I want to shoot RAW primarily but use the second card slot in my 5D3 to capture JPEGs just for a little extra insurance.

Right now have all of the in-camera processing turned off like noise reduction and sharpening. I do that all in post processing for my RAW images. I'm thinking I'd like to have these applied to the JPEGs I'm capturing to the second card.

I know this sounds like a dumb question and I really should know the answer, but can someone confirm for me that these in-camera processing settings are only applied to JPEG and not RAW images?  If some are applied to RAW, which ones are they?

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

In Camera Nosie/Sharpen, etc - JPEG Only?
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »

TexPhoto

• EOS 5DS R
Re: In Camera Nosie/Sharpen, etc - JPEG Only?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:53:23 PM »
The answer depends on your RAW processor (sort of).  The RAW data does not get altered by the settings, but your RAW processor may apply those settings in what you initially see on screen.

The best way to understand this is set your camera to black and white, then shoot a RAW+JPEG.  The JPEG image is black and white, and you cannot bring the color back.

The RAW image, depending on the RAW processing software (DPP, Adobe Camera Raw, etc) you are using, may show the image in color or in B&W.  If in B&W, finding that setting in the software and shifting it back to color will return the photo to color.  Because, the color data was there in the RAW, but the display of it may be effected by your settings.  Make sense?

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
The answer depends on the software you are using.  Some software (DPP for example) will read the camera settings and apply them to the imported raw file. 
There are only a couple of settings that affect raw files in camera, so you want to be aware of them.
Highlight tone Priority will capture the image at one stop lower ISO.  Turn that off.
Long Exposure Noise Reduction will affect the Raw file, but that might be a good thing as long as you understand when to use it, and what it does.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »