September 21, 2014, 06:32:19 AM

Author Topic: First time at wedding - feedback please  (Read 8537 times)

cosminelfloricel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
First time at wedding - feedback please
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:25:51 AM »
Hello there!
Ia am an amateur and i got the chance to shoot some friends at their wedding. I want to improve my skills and seeing how nice the people arround here i wanted to ask for some feedback.

Here are some pictures
thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

First time at wedding - feedback please
« on: August 03, 2012, 06:25:51 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: First time at wedding - feedback please
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
As for compositions, These are fine for the fast pace of a wedding.

The first photo is too tight IMO. The second photo chopped the hand off a bit on the child. Dutch framing is ok with proper context the third shot. The fourth one would be stronger if the frame was symmetrical with the door as a frame.

As for post-processing you RAW's. Clarity is easy to abuse, and it seems too much negative clarity has been used.

Experience comes with time, and this is very good for your first wedding.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:43:10 PM by RLPhoto »

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:29:06 AM »
I think your at mid level. Photos dont look pro but they arent bad also. Thats cool ur on the right way. I like the dance photo the most. Please dont use too much softening especially with males :D

cosminelfloricel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 05:44:50 AM »
Thank you very much, i really was wandering about the softeness. It seemed right to me for a weeding, but i want overdo it in the futere. Thanks agaian for precious feedbak!

Toronto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
This is very mid level pro quality work, you said amateur I don't see that. I would back off the softness a touch, you want dreamy but not for everything and everyone, the first portrait try sharp overall with only soft skin and see if you would like that better.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »
I love the dance one, and I think on the 3rd one you could have pulled back just a little bit, it feels a bit cramped. The 1st one is OK, but I would have tried to include a bit more, pulled back a bit.

This is not coming from a wedding pro, just someone who has done a decent job a few years back at my sisters wedding. Much less fancy than the one you went to.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
That's some really nice stuff for a first wedding shoot.  I did a wedding shoot once for friends who didn't have much money.  Yours are better than what I did.  It's obviously not my thing...  Keep it up!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »

Brendon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Site
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »
Nice work for a first wedding.  It looks like you drew the short straw with the venue as well.  While the wood work and lighting sets a nice tone and background, the wooden ceilings make it near impossible to get a decent bounce for a flash. 

I really like the dancing picture.  You may try to warm and brighten the couple up with a brush in photoshop/lightroom.  That is a hard lighting situation and some flash gels (very cheap) would have helped a lot to match the color temp of the incandescent lights.   Also, if you weren't shooting at max aperture, it could help to separate the couple from the background and add a little light as well.  It looks like you either pulled up the exposure on the picture or added a bunch of contrast/clarity.  You might want to back off a bit from the contrast to see if you can get some of the DR back. 

cosminelfloricel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:01 AM »
Nice work for a first wedding.  It looks like you drew the short straw with the venue as well.  While the wood work and lighting sets a nice tone and background, the wooden ceilings make it near impossible to get a decent bounce for a flash. 

I really like the dancing picture.  You may try to warm and brighten the couple up with a brush in photoshop/lightroom.  That is a hard lighting situation and some flash gels (very cheap) would have helped a lot to match the color temp of the incandescent lights.   Also, if you weren't shooting at max aperture, it could help to separate the couple from the background and add a little light as well.  It looks like you either pulled up the exposure on the picture or added a bunch of contrast/clarity.  You might want to back off a bit from the contrast to see if you can get some of the DR back.

Thank you so much! It's very usefull advice, just one question, if I may: you said i should use flash gels. I not shure, do i need to use warm gel or something cooler?
Thanks again very much!

philsv77

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:57 PM »
My fav is the shot with the dancing couple.  However, it look to me that the shots are underexposed.  Also, I would stay away from blurring the photos in post processing (pp) as they don't enhance your photos.  Focus more on the technique and lighting., IMO.

frumrk

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:39:32 AM »

Thank you so much! It's very usefull advice, just one question, if I may: you said i should use flash gels. I not shure, do i need to use warm gel or something cooler?
Thanks again very much!

You want to use gels that will match the ambient light in the room... so that way you have a more natural look rather than that "Flash" look.  1/2 CTO usually works pretty good but usually depends on the lighting.

DB

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
Perhaps you might want to use the Ruler tool in PS to straighten some of the images e.g. the ceiling in the wedding dance pic looks like it's about to collapse, also with the last pic shooting out through the pillars/archway. Just a minor thing really.

I like the composition on the 1st photo but cannot work out where your AF point(s) were. It almost looks like you were using a filter. You could make an adjustment mask on the young girl in PS then sharpen a bit (or even use smart sharpen with pixel radius of 1.5 to 2.5 and amount of 45% to 65% territory).

philsv77

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »
My sincere advice to the beginner is to learn how to get it right out of the camera, not with PP.  You still need to learn Photoshop skills but that takes time.  Focus on technique, composition, lighting, and the rest will follow.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 12:57:17 PM »

Brendon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Site
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »

Thanks again very much!

I agree with the other poster that a 1/2 CTO would be the best for that particular situation.  Beware though, that this will cause the out of camera photos to be overly warm if you use auto white balance because it will be set to match the un-geled flash color temperature.  You can do a manual white balance but will most likely have to touch each photo in post to get it just right.

I also agree with the post related to getting things right in the camera so that there is little work needed in post.  If you are taking 1000s of photos at a wedding, you certainly don't want to have to custom touch each one! 

sb

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »

Thanks again very much!

Warm gel, then cool down entire scene via custom WB setting, and off you go. Yes it will never be exactly perfect, but it will be a LOT better than with no gel, and one click Lightroom fix across the board should take care of that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 01:50:32 PM »