December 21, 2014, 12:55:19 AM

Author Topic: dirty 1 DX --- Dirty 5D MKIII --- does Canon have quality control at all?  (Read 6755 times)

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
I'm starting to wonder if Canon actually have any quality control before send cameras out.....  when I got my first 5D MKIII the sensor right out of the box was dirty... full of speckles... didn't come off with the camera sensor cleaning....  sent it back.... got another one....  also dirty... and with a little hair inside of the prism... 

Now I get my 1D X ... also stuck speckles in the sensor that will not come off with the camera sensor cleaning...  I'm really disappointed in Canon...

Sent my 5D MKII to be cleaned, came back worst that I sent it.... sent it back.... came back a bit cleaner, but not as clean as I can do it at home.....  usually you don't see this kind of speckles in regular photos, but when you are making macros with a lens like MP-E 65.... any minimal speckle is a nasty black point...

Am I crazy thinking that a new camera should have a pristine sensor????

Trying to post this with an image but it does not work... :-(
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

canon rumors FORUM

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
is the upload of photos broken? tried 3 different browsers... no one will finish to upload the photo...
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Lol my 1DX was filthy - and there were even small fibers in the mirror box.

Both 1 5D3 was perfect the other one needed an airblast.

Strange thing is it didnt surprise me.

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Now they want me to send the camera in to be cleaned... A brand new camera should be replaced not sent to be repaired....

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery

That's what you get for not selecting the clean sensor option -- only another $1000 ($900 0n the 5D3).

While you're at it, I'd get the special undercoating and clear coat options too; they're only $250 each.

You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Mine was moderately dirty when I got it - ~10-12 decently-sized specks. A blower and an Arctic Butterfly took care of them.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I went from 5Dc  ------->   5D3.

I never had dust problems with the classic and the Mk3 I received was perfectly clean to me. I haven't see any dust yet.

trowski

My 1DX had several pieces of dust on the sensor and a little fiber on the focusing screen. Nothing a dust blower and swipe with the arctic butterfly couldn't cure. Almost every camera I've purchased has had some amount of dust on the sensor. Often a new camera will deposit some oil on the sensor too. I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with that problem (as of yet). Interestingly, the cleanest camera I've ever gotten out of the box was my 5D3. There was only a couple specs that were faint even at f/32.

Sensor dust is just something you have to deal with... it's surprisingly easy to get a lot of dust in there. I would think you'd be fully prepared to deal with it quickly considering you're buying a 1DX. If the camera works well otherwise, I wouldn't worry so much about a little dust. If you're uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, I'm sure Canon will clean it free of charge and get it back to you quickly (especially if you're a CPS member).

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
My cameras have all been clean upon purchase, except the 1D Mark IV. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile

My 1DX had several pieces of dust on the sensor and a little fiber on the focusing screen. Nothing a dust blower and swipe with the arctic butterfly couldn't cure. Almost every camera I've purchased has had some amount of dust on the sensor. Often a new camera will deposit some oil on the sensor too. I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with that problem (as of yet). Interestingly, the cleanest camera I've ever gotten out of the box was my 5D3. There was only a couple specs that were faint even at f/32.

Sensor dust is just something you have to deal with... it's surprisingly easy to get a lot of dust in there. I would think you'd be fully prepared to deal with it quickly considering you're buying a 1DX. If the camera works well otherwise, I wouldn't worry so much about a little dust. If you're uncomfortable cleaning it yourself, I'm sure Canon will clean it free of charge and get it back to you quickly (especially if you're a CPS member).

This is no dust... It is residue from cleaning fluid or something like that, it is stuck to the sensor, and my point is no camera,should leave their assembly line like that, my last 3 cameras from canon arrived like that, you don't see this unless you take macros at f16 and up... But is pretty annoying since they show up on all my macros, I can clean it myself, since last two times I sent it to Canon to be cleaned they came back worst than when I sent them and I had to do it.... My point is 3 lasts cameras I got had residues from cleaning fluids in their sensors...

Top that the representative form CPS telling me... May be the dealer are storing the camera in a bad way... What?... These cameras have never touched the dealer storage.. And if the way they store the camera can affect the sensor... Then the camera have a problem... The other question from the CPS rep,was ... Are you sure is not a distortion or the lens that is making the sensor to not record correctly? ...........  Hate when I'm treated as an idiot....

briansquibb

Now they want me to send the camera in to be cleaned... A brand new camera should be replaced not sent to be repaired....

I cant quite get my head round cleaning as being a repair. Agreed it shouldn't be dirty, but removing specs of dust doesn't quite make it a repair or worthy of replacement.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery

Patient: Doctor, my elbow hurts every time I play tennis.

Doctor: Stop playing tennis.

I don't mean to make light of your concerns, but you are probably one in a million. Like all manufacturing, Canon quality assurance is geared toward satisfying up to the 99th percentile. You are not in that range. Honestly, I'll bet they truly believe what you're asking for qualifies as customization. They won't tell you that, but I think that's close to the reality of the situation.

They are not going to change their processes to accommodate you. I think you'd be well advised to accommodate your specific needs to Canon in this case. If you don't, in the end, they'll probably just send you a piece of black tape to cover your sensor!
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

canon rumors FORUM

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography

This is no dust... It is residue from cleaning fluid or something like that, it is stuck to the sensor, and my point is no camera,should leave their assembly line like that, my last 3 cameras from canon arrived like that, you don't see this unless you take macros at f16 and up... But is pretty annoying since they show up on all my macros, I can clean it myself, since last two times I sent it to Canon to be cleaned they came back worst than when I sent them and I had to do it.... My point is 3 lasts cameras I got had residues from cleaning fluids in their sensors...

Top that the representative form CPS telling me... May be the dealer are storing the camera in a bad way... What?... These cameras have never touched the dealer storage.. And if the way they store the camera can affect the sensor... Then the camera have a problem... The other question from the CPS rep,was ... Are you sure is not a distortion or the lens that is making the sensor to not record correctly? ...........  Hate when I'm treated as an idiot....
Haha, Too funny, even if your camera was stored in the sahara desert the sensor should be clean since there are so many layers to remove from a new unopened boxed camera from Canon. What a complete jerk that he said that to you, very unprofessional in my opinion to suggest something so completely irrelevant to a customer as a response.
Canon has some shaky quality control from my and other photographers that I know. It's really too bad.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Gothmoth

it can´t be so bad... i don´t have exact numbers but my guess is... 1 out of 80 of my customers complain about a dirty sensor.

and that does not have to be a canon.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM