December 20, 2014, 09:44:26 PM

Author Topic: New 600mm f/4L IS Mk II - availability?  (Read 14092 times)

PackLight

Re: New 600mm f/4L IS Mk II - availability?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »
Ahhh, well then.  I don't cheat.   ::)   ::)   ::)

My bottom sections are usually not fully extended. About half distance is the standing height I use. Top sections start at full length, I tune with the top leges from there.

Makes sense.  On my RRS TVC-33, I only need to extend 4-6" of the bottom segment to get the VF to eye level, with the middle section fully extended.  Fine if I want to lower a leg, but raising a leg is a bit more of a pain, since that means reaching to 6" off the ground.  I could do it, I suppose, but the leveling base means not having to.   ;)

I've use both Gitzo and RRS legs, they're comparable in terms of use and sturdiness, but for me the RRS is a bit better spec'd (extends a little taller, collapses a little smaller, is a little lighter - but really, all the differences are pretty minor).  The respective heads are a different story - while Gitzo makes great legs, their heads are not that good, IMO.  I'll take an RRS ballhead over a Gitzo any day of the week.  Seems to be a common viewpoint - some guy has been trying to offload a Gitzo ballhead on my local Craigslist board for close to two years now (too stubborn to drop the price, apparently).

True fact, IMO Gitzo legs will not do you wrong. Gitzo heads, stay away from.
I have a Wimberley, I am not even sure RRS had an option when I bought it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 11:06:23 AM »

PackLight

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »

TVC-33 is >20cm taller when extended, 1-2 cm shorter when collapsed, and a few tens of grams lighter as well.  The RRS TVC-34L further adds another 30cm in height, and is even shorter when collapsed.  Overall better specs than the Gitzo 3-series.

As a gear had I am compelled to check the specs out to see if I was missing something. :)
Working in the Construction Industry I put it in inches and lbs.

Per RRS site compared to the specs on B&H's.

The RRS is 1" taller, .15 lbs lighter and the fold up height is identical (26").

The Gitzo handles 5 more lbs and is $95 cheaper.

From experience I know that my Gitzo is very fat with legs folded. The RRS website lists the plate at 4.5" but I am sure this is plate only.

I didn't see a reason to change tripods, maybe a few to think about if I need new legs.

Anything I am missing?

By my judgment I think the extra weight and supporting 5 more pounds could be a wash. As I am about 6' tall and getting shorter the 1" height is nothing.  Looks like a tie from my perspective, for sure a close call.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
Whoops - I added a zero where there shouldn't have been one - TVC-33 is >20cm = ~1" taller when extended.   :-[

Like I later stated, the differences are really minor (20cm would certainly not be minor!), I'd see absolutely no reason to get RRS legs if I already had Gitzo legs.  Since I didn't have a tripod suitable for a supertele, I had to choose between Gitzo and RRS de novo, and the RRS legs were more appealing, and made sense since I was getting a bunch of other RRS gear at the same time.  I'm very happy with them, and I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the Gitzo legs.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
[Unless you really need the extra height (the TVC-34L provides it, although the Gitzo GT3542LS doesn't), I'd go with a 3-section tripod over a 4-section tripod.  You want maximum stability for the 600mm lens (I have a Manfrotto 4-section CF tripod for travel with 'normal' lenses up to 100-400, although I may replace that with the RRS TQC-14 at some point, both fit in carryon luggage). 

Neuro, did you look at the TVC-24 as a travel rig?  It's 0.5 lb heavier and only 0.9 in longer than the TQC-14, but it has a higher load rating.  Not that own either, but I'm looking into the TVC-24 as a general purpose tripod.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2012, 01:33:58 PM »
Neuro, did you look at the TVC-24 as a travel rig?  It's 0.5 lb heavier and only 0.9 in longer than the TQC-14, but it has a higher load rating.  Not that own either, but I'm looking into the TVC-24 as a general purpose tripod.

I did, but it's not compact enough.  For me, a 'travel rig' needs to fit inside a carryon hard case (Storm im2500).  I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 currently, and for that to fit I need to remove the ballhead - I'd need to do the same for the TVC-24 + BH-40 combo.  At some point, I might replace the Manfrotto setup with the RRS TQC-14 + BH-30 - the latter setup would fit in the Storm carryon without needing to remove the ballhead for travel.  That 0.9" makes all the difference!  ;)

The load rating on the TQC-14/BH-30 is sufficient for any lenses I'd likely use, short of the 600 II - the 15 lb rating is actually higher than my Manfrotto setup, and the latter does fine with a gripped body and white zoom (100-400, etc.).

PackLight

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2012, 01:37:57 PM »
Whoops - I added a zero where there shouldn't have been one - TVC-33 is >20cm = ~1" taller when extended.   :-[

Like I later stated, the differences are really minor (20cm would certainly not be minor!), I'd see absolutely no reason to get RRS legs if I already had Gitzo legs.  Since I didn't have a tripod suitable for a supertele, I had to choose between Gitzo and RRS de novo, and the RRS legs were more appealing, and made sense since I was getting a bunch of other RRS gear at the same time.  I'm very happy with them, and I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the Gitzo legs.

Maybe it comes down to this, saying you have "Gitzo" legs sounds really cool to say at certain coffee shops, although not the ones I go to.
Saying you have "Really Right Stuff" legs sounds cool if you are in to astrophotography.

Now saying that someone has a “Gitzo” ball head, it just sounds like an insult no matter what.

Richard Lane

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
Rich, do you also have a ballhead that you use with that set of legs?  If so, you might look at the RRS leveling base w/ clamp.  The TH-DVTL40 plate is sized for the Wimberley II base.  The clamp not only makes switching from gimbal to ballhead easy, it also makes setup/breakdown faster.  Also, you can get away with no ballhead if bringing a standard lens along - the RRS side gimbal can mount an L-bracket to use a standard lens, but the full gimbal and Wimberley cannot.  But, the leveling base clamp is a standard AS clamp, so you can just clamp in a camera base plate or L-bracket - granted, you have limited position control - but it can save weight on a hike...
Yes, I have The Markins Q20 ballhead , however I don't often switch from ballhead to Wimberley.  But, I'm still very interested in the RRS leveling base w/clamp, and the RRS Dovetail would be a nice bonus purchase for some convenience. It would also be cool to be able to take a landscape shot using the L-bracket and leveling base in a pinch. Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2012, 04:07:14 PM »
Just a general follow up to the RRS series 3 vs Gitzo series 3 discussion.

Originally RRS was going after the Gitzo 5 series market with the RRS series 3.  The Gitzo series 3 states that it's ideal for lenses up to 400mm.  The RRS series 3 states in their catalog that it's ideal for the 600mm lens.

Technically according to Gitzo, the Gitzo 5 series is for the 500mm, 600mm, and 800mm lenses.  Now, I would certainly agree that the Gitzo series 3 does work well at focal ranges from 500mm to 1000mm.  However, Gitzo doesn't promote it that way.  So when you compare the specs keep that in mind. 

You should really compare the RRS series 3 with the Gitzo series 5 and when you do that then you will see what an accomplishment the RRS series 3 is.  Series 3 of one company does not necessarily equate with series 3 of another company.

Also, weight capacity doesn't necessarily translate to stability at longer focal length's.  Stability should really be tested separately from weight capacity.

I should also mention that I own the Carbon Gitzo systematic series 3, the 4 leg standard version, which I love by the way.  When I bought my Gitzo tripod about 3 years ago, the RRS tripods were severely back ordered and I was hesitant to buy a tripod unseen and untested, so I went with the Gitzo gold standard and I don't have any regrets. 

However, if I were buying today I would probably choose the RRS series 3, because I have been so impressed with the quality products that RRS continues to churn out, as well as the interoperability that they offer amongst their own products.  Personally, I also find it nice dealing with a local USA company for the convenience if any problems should arise.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:09:31 PM by Richard Lane »

PackLight

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
Just a general follow up to the RRS series 3 vs Gitzo series 3 discussion.

Originally RRS was going after the Gitzo 5 series market with the RRS series 3.  The Gitzo series 3 states that it's ideal for lenses up to 400mm.  The RRS series 3 states in their catalog that it's ideal for the 600mm lens.

Technically according to Gitzo, the Gitzo 5 series is for the 500mm, 600mm, and 800mm lenses.  Now, I would certainly agree that the Gitzo series 3 does work well at focal ranges from 500mm to 1000mm.  However, Gitzo doesn't promote it that way.  So when you compare the specs keep that in mind. 

You should really compare the RRS series 3 with the Gitzo series 5 and when you do that then you will see what an accomplishment the RRS series 3 is.  Series 3 of one company does not necessarily equate with series 3 of another company.

Also, weight capacity doesn't necessarily translate to stability at longer focal length's.  Stability should really be tested separately from weight capacity.

I should also mention that I own the Carbon Gitzo systematic series 3, the 4 leg standard version, which I love by the way.  When I bought my Gitzo tripod about 3 years ago, the RRS tripods were severely back ordered and I was hesitant to buy a tripod unseen and untested, so I went with the Gitzo gold standard and I don't have any regrets. 

However, if I were buying today I would probably choose the RRS series 3, because I have been so impressed with the quality products that RRS continues to churn out, as well as the interoperability that they offer amongst their own products.  Personally, I also find it nice dealing with a local USA company for the convenience if any problems should arise.

Rich

I wondered about the Series 3 number earlier.

Something is fishy in Gitzo land and I am not sure what it is.

The specs on the GT3532LS are from what I remember, the same as the Series 5. But the only Series 5 I find on the Gitzo site now are aluminum legs. If you do just the name Gitzo on B&H and choose legs on my search the GT3532LS doesn't appear unless you search for it specifically.

Which makes me wonder, is Gitzo changing there line. What is going on in Gitzo land, it may be that RRS is going to be the only choice before long.

My old Gitzo 5541 is no longer available on B&H.

Edit: I did check the specs, both the 3532 and 5541 support 55 lbs. The Old version is heavier.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
Let me just say that RRS is the Right Stuff - Really!

Richard Lane

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »
Gitzo had recently updated their 3 series line and now they appear to be updating the 5 series. 

It also looks like they've added a Series 4 Carbon to the systematic line.

The series 4 and series 5 carbons are toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.gitzo.us/photo-tripods-systematic?n=0&va=t

Competition is good!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:24:17 PM by Richard Lane »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
To Rich's point about interoperability and modularity - it's a big plus. For example, with an additional $140 item, an RRS gimbal becomes a full multi-row pano setup.  Their 1D X L-bracket can be used as just a camera base plate, and the allen key to switch them stores right in the plate. Etc.

PackLight

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 11:43:28 PM »
Gitzo had recently updated their 3 series line and now they appear to be updating the 5 series. 

It also looks like they've added a Series 4 Carbon to the systematic line.

The series 4 and series 5 carbons are toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.gitzo.us/photo-tripods-systematic?n=0&va=t

Competition is good!

Thanks for the link, I didn't click on view all "doh".

After looking at this I have to give Gitzo the edge for my use. With the big supertele stability is everything. The new 5 series that replaces my old one weighs about the same as my old 5 series and supports 88 pounds.  The old 5 series was rated at 55, apparently they have upgraded the weight ratings with the new technology.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846220-REG/Gitzo_GT5542LS_GT5542LS_6x_4_SECTION_SYSTEMATIC.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2012, 11:43:28 PM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »

I did, but it's not compact enough.  For me, a 'travel rig' needs to fit inside a carryon hard case (Storm im2500).  I have a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 currently, and for that to fit I need to remove the ballhead - I'd need to do the same for the TVC-24 + BH-40 combo.  At some point, I might replace the Manfrotto setup with the RRS TQC-14 + BH-30 - the latter setup would fit in the Storm carryon without needing to remove the ballhead for travel.  That 0.9" makes all the difference!  ;)

The load rating on the TQC-14/BH-30 is sufficient for any lenses I'd likely use, short of the 600 II - the 15 lb rating is actually higher than my Manfrotto setup, and the latter does fine with a gripped body and white zoom (100-400, etc.).

Thanks for the food for thought!

applecider

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »
Are price increases coming?  Amazon just bumped prices on 500's at least.  I think this a side effect of quantitative easing.  Dollar is worth less, imports more.

Btw I am pretty sure back focusing means that what is in focus is in back of the subject.   Don't think it has anything to do with the buttons.
AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8, ef 85 1.2ii, ef100 is 2.8 macro, ef300 2.8ii, ef400 2.8ii, ef600 is ii usm, ef8-15 f4, ef16-35 ii, ef24-70 ii, ef 24-105, ef 70-200, 2xext ii, 2xext iii, 1.4x ext iii.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »