November 23, 2014, 08:44:26 PM

Author Topic: New 600mm f/4L IS Mk II - availability?  (Read 13770 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: New 600mm f/4L IS Mk II - availability?
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
Are price increases coming?  Amazon just bumped prices on 500's at least.  I think this a side effect of quantitative easing.  Dollar is worth less, imports more.
Ouch!  Could be, could be just a blip.  B&H and Adorama haven't increased their prices, yet.  Canon initially priced it at $9500, then increased that to $10500 before release.  Interestingly, Amazon kept their preorder price at $9500 for several months after the increase, while Adorama immediately upped theirs.  I wonder if Amazon honored those preorders...  :-X

Btw I am pretty sure back focusing means that what is in focus is in back of the subject.   Don't think it has anything to do with the buttons.
BTW, I am pretty sure you're wrong about that.  Yes, backfocus can mean (in fact, usually does mean) a focusing error where the camera focuses behind the intended subject.  That's the sort of thing autofocus microsdjustment corrects (and in fact, I just did the AFMA on my 600 II yesterday - it was giving sharp shots prior to AFMA both without and with the 1.4xIII, and sure enough, the values FoCal reported were +1 for the bare lens and -1 with the TC).

But in this case, the context says different, that 'back focus' meant back-button AF (click the link for a Canon article on the subject).  The first mention of 'back focus' in this thread was:

Just for fun I am trying to change to back focusing.

So, do you think Mwindley actually wants to intentionally focus behind the subject to get a blurry shot?  Seems unlikely...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »

PackLight

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2012, 07:41:54 PM »

That's the sort of thing autofocus microsdjustment corrects (and in fact, I just did the AFMA on my 600 II yesterday - it was giving sharp shots prior to AFMA both without and with the 1.4xIII, and sure enough, the values FoCal reported were +1 for the bare lens and -1 with the TC).

It is my opinion when a person buys a $20k lens camera combination Canon should send a representative out to  your home or place of business to perform start up on the lens and body, and make calibration changes so that it is dead on at 0.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
That, from a company that apparently made people pay the shipping+insurance costs to send $7-13K lenses in for a firmware update?!?  Lol...

PackLight

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2012, 09:02:29 PM »
Well, like I said, thats my opinion

Canon has other ideas.

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2012, 03:57:37 PM »
Getting back to the genesis of this post, is anyone out there actually getting their 600's that they have ordered delivered?  Any insight as to why Canon is taking so long to get this lens to their customers.  I have had mine ordered for some time now and am still waiting to get my hands on it...thanks for your replies!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
On the day that B&H got the shipment from Canon that covered my order, they listed the 600 II as In Stock on their website, suggesting that they were able cover all of their preorders with some stock left over.  It sold out quickly, though.

These lenses are very difficult to produce, and that was exacerbated by the power issues plaguing Japan after the earthquake/tsunami.  It's not just a matter of cutting glass - fluorite lens elements are cut from crystals that must be artificially grown, and for lenses this size, that growing process takes over a year.

bkorcel

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »
Exactly why they are so expensive.  Once you know what goes into making one of these you can appreciate why they cost so much.  I think it's easier for GM to make a car than it is for Canon to make one of these BIG lenses.

On the day that B&H got the shipment from Canon that covered my order, they listed the 600 II as In Stock on their website, suggesting that they were able cover all of their preorders with some stock left over.  It sold out quickly, though.

These lenses are very difficult to produce, and that was exacerbated by the power issues plaguing Japan after the earthquake/tsunami.  It's not just a matter of cutting glass - fluorite lens elements are cut from crystals that must be artificially grown, and for lenses this size, that growing process takes over a year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »

WesternGuy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:59 PM »
Getting back to the genesis of this post, is anyone out there actually getting their 600's that they have ordered delivered?  Any insight as to why Canon is taking so long to get this lens to their customers.  I have had mine ordered for some time now and am still waiting to get my hands on it...thanks for your replies!
You noted that you have had  yours ordered "for some time now" - how long?  I have been waiting 2 and 1/2 months now and still no indication from either my dealer of Canon Canada when it is likely to arrive.  Greatland, where are you and who did you order it from, not that it is the dealer's fault, but it is still his "problem".  My new tripod and gimbal head should arrive in the next couple of days and I would really like to have my 600 II to test it out - obviously not yet  >:(.

WesternGuy

brant

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
I got mine from Kenmore Camera in Washington. I think I got lucky though, as someone on this forum tipped me off on the availability.

applecider

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
Canonwatch  recently linked to the videos of production of the super telephoto lenses.  I found them to be a fascinating watch, maybe you can see your ordered lens being born.
part 1: Canon Lens Production 1
part 2: youtube.com/watch?v=qzpt49qq6v4&feature=relmfu
part 3: Canon Lens Production 3
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:38:53 PM by applecider »
AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8, ef 85 1.2ii, ef100 is 2.8 macro, ef300 2.8ii, ef400 2.8ii, ef600 is ii usm, ef8-15 f4, ef16-35 ii, ef24-70 ii, ef 24-105, ef 70-200, 2xext ii, 2xext iii, 1.4x ext iii.

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:03 PM »
You noted that you have had  yours ordered "for some time now" - how long?  I have been waiting 2 and 1/2 months now and still no indication from either my dealer of Canon Canada when it is likely to arrive.  Greatland, where are you and who did you order it from, not that it is the dealer's fault, but it is still his "problem".  My new tripod and gimbal head should arrive in the next couple of days and I would really like to have my 600 II to test it out - obviously not yet  >:(.

WesternGuy
I am located in California but mine is ordered from an East Coast company.  I am not being told exactly when I will see mine but I ordered my 1Dx from the same people and I got mine well in advance of when most people got theirs.  I am optimistic that I will have mine before Christmas and hopefully before Thanksgiving but I have no guarantees.  I suspect that Canon ships in spurts so hopefully when a large shipment comes over I will get my hands on mine.  I sold my 500 so really need this lens before I am off to the Serengeti in February.....would hate to have to rent one....

CML

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
600 IS USM II
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »
Does anyone have any insight into US availability or know of some hidden pockets of availability in the US? There seems to be plenty stock in the UK and other countries, however, none are available in the US. I did read, on this site I believe, some speculation that Canon has taken it off the market in the US and will readjust pricing to account for US currency devaluation.

I did call Adorama and they said realistically 3 months. Crutchfield said their Canon reps were there the day before I called and the reps did not even know when it would be available. B&H simply said they do not have a projected date.

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
I would say that your information is relatively disturbing :(  Having said that, I still find it difficult to believe that these lenses won't show up for another 3 months.  The rumor about dollar devaluation being one of the factors causing delay in delivery really doesn't make much sense.  They could jack up the price another 10% and I seriously doubt that one in ten who have either ordered this lens, put down a deposit, or have intentions of getting one would change their mind.  But I guess no one really knows when they will show up but I would think that the market here in the U.S. is superior to any in Europe or places like India!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:54 PM »
Got a phone call today from the folks from whom I purchased my 600 and it is in and should be shipping out to me no later than early next week....I AM AN OFFICIAL HAPPY CAMPER!  Can't wait to hook it up with my 1.4 III extender and stick it on my 1Dx....this just HAS to be a sweet combination.....

WesternGuy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 02:26:58 AM »
Well guys, mine finally arrived - November 1 - what a package.  This was just short of three months to the day that I ordered it.  Now the fun begins.  For those who haven't theirs yet - persevere - the fact that I have mine in such a short time (relative to the time it took to get the 1D X) tells me that they are out there, they just seem to come in bunches.

WesternGuy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2012, 02:26:58 AM »