December 21, 2014, 11:37:03 PM

Author Topic: 1DX lock up?  (Read 11044 times)

Richard Lane

Re: 1DX lock up?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »
4.  Using the Mode Dial, change from Auto to Creative Zone modes and back testing each, to shoot and note if the issue persists.

Good luck with that one on a 1-series body...   :o

LOL!!

Ohh... that must be the problem, your mode dial fell off! 

I'm surprised they also didn't say, don't use an eraser on the lens contacts!

Good Luck with your issue!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 11:28:58 PM »

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 02:10:59 PM »
I tested a few CF cards yesterday, all Sandisk.

Testing was performed by turning the camera on after installing a single CF card in slot 1. All cards had photos on them. The camera was used all day yesterday.

Extreme Pro 64gb (90Mb/s) - Memory light activity light stayed on for prolonged period of time after turning the camera on.
Extreme Pro 32gb (90Mb/s) - No issues, camera performed normal.
Extreme III 32gb (30Mb/s) - Memory light activity light stayed on for prolonged period of time after turning the camera on.
Extreme III 16gb (30Mb/s) - No issues, camera performed normal.

I tried to repeat the test again today after waking up, all cards performed normally. Still waiting on the CPS representative to reply.

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 10:45:41 AM »
Mark:

Have you been able to reproduce the lock up? I haven't been able to.

Which, of course, means I have no way to test their suggested "fixes" -- not that I have high hopes any of them are actually relevant (though I am curious about my missing mode dial :P).

Shawn L.

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
Mark:

Have you been able to reproduce the lock up? I haven't been able to.

Which, of course, means I have no way to test their suggested "fixes" -- not that I have high hopes any of them are actually relevant (though I am curious about my missing mode dial :P).

Shawn L.

This is a huge headache for me. I keep my camera on my desk even on my days off and I turn the camera on with different memory card combinations to see if I can reproduce the error but I can't. Perhaps it has something to do with the amount of power left in the battery although I highly doubt that. It is most likely related to a certain level of heat/humidity. If we are having this much trouble then I assume Canon's tech support is as well.

My CPS rep got back with me and she said she spent quite a long time chatting with their tech department but at this point they are assuming it is memory card related (plus some certain setting on the camera I assume).

Chatting with a rep rather than calling tech support directly seems to get a less "standard" answer as she knows the right people to chat with to get info but they are all still a bit clueless at this time.

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
That's what I was afraid would happen.  While it's possible it's the cards, you and I use different brands and different speeds. Moreover, between us we cover the two major brands I suspect others are using (SanDisk and Lexar).

I've been toying with returning my camera, but while I suspect we're the first to see/report this issue, it's possible that we won't be the last.

It could be a mismatch somewhere between camera settings (ala the "orientation specific AF" and AFMA issue reported earlier). I'm wondering if we have any "unique" settings in common:

* Before I started my shoot, I changed C.Fn3 so that "Low Speed" was 6 shots/sec. I then shot at that speed. After the lock-up, this value was reset to 3, but other values I had set at the same time retained their new values (e.g.,  changes to the custom menu).

* I had "orientation linked AF points" set -- I always have this set as the only lens I've used with the 1DX (a 70-200 L IS II) doesn't need AFMA

* I was constantly switching back and forth between portrait and layout shots

* I was also switching between "spot" metering (which I have linked to AF) and "evaluative"

* the camera had been on for longer than ever before (probably about 15 minutes or so)

Other than those, I didn't do anything different than normal. As for humidity/heat, I'm in the SF bay area, the day was dry and cool(ish).

Shawn L.

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
That's what I was afraid would happen.  While it's possible it's the cards, you and I use different brands and different speeds. Moreover, between us we cover the two major brands I suspect others are using (SanDisk and Lexar).

I've been toying with returning my camera, but while I suspect we're the first to see/report this issue, it's possible that we won't be the last.

It could be a mismatch somewhere between camera settings (ala the "orientation specific AF" and AFMA issue reported earlier). I'm wondering if we have any "unique" settings in common:

* Before I started my shoot, I changed C.Fn3 so that "Low Speed" was 6 shots/sec. I then shot at that speed. After the lock-up, this value was reset to 3, but other values I had set at the same time retained their new values (e.g.,  changes to the custom menu).

* I had "orientation linked AF points" set -- I always have this set as the only lens I've used with the 1DX (a 70-200 L IS II) doesn't need AFMA

* I was constantly switching back and forth between portrait and layout shots

* I was also switching between "spot" metering (which I have linked to AF) and "evaluative"

* the camera had been on for longer than ever before (probably about 15 minutes or so)

Other than those, I didn't do anything different than normal. As for humidity/heat, I'm in the SF bay area, the day was dry and cool(ish).

Shawn L.

I keep my low speed set to 6 as well, however, I don't think I have seen any difference with the camera set to low or high. I'll try it out though.

I also use orientation linked AF points, none of my lenses need AFMA so I keep this turned off.

I also only use spot meter and the evaluative metering when I shoot in AV. Most of the time I use manual exposure.

I had been using my camera for about 3-4 hours before it locked up (671 photos before lock up). I was inside an air conditioned venue. Actually the only time I see issues with my camera seem to be when I'm in an air conditioned room. It always seems to perform flawlessly when shooting out under the sun.

I have changed just about every custom setting on this camera so it would be hard to pinpoint anything.
I doubt custom settings have much to do with it except the AFMA bug might possibly be related but here's some of the major changes I have made: Multi function lock, Custom Controls, Lock/record, shutter release time lag, spot meter linked to Af point, restrict shooting mode and drive modes, Record photos to separate cards, selectable AF points (eliminated non-cross type), orientation linked AF point (separate), optimizer off, long exp noise reduction off, high iso NR off, highlight tone priority off.....

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »
... here's some of the major changes I have made: Multi function lock, Custom Controls, Lock/record, shutter release time lag, spot meter linked to Af point, restrict shooting mode and drive modes, Record photos to separate cards, selectable AF points (eliminated non-cross type), orientation linked AF point (separate), optimizer off, long exp noise reduction off, high iso NR off, highlight tone priority off.....

Sounds almost exactly like what I've changed, except the orientation-linked AF, since I have AFMA applied (generally 4 units or less, so perhaps not really 'required').  I've used only SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB 60 Mb/s and 32 GB 90 Mb/s cards. No lockup, I've shot >5000 frames.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 03:55:13 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »
Next time it locks up, can you take off the lens with camera still on to see if the mirror or shutter is locked in the up position?

Rich

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
Richard:

Are you suspecting something or just curious?

Shawn L.

Virgil Quick

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
Thanks to all of you who are trying to isolate this problem.  Your efforts will certainly help all of us 1D X owners.

Just wondering if there is something going on between the mode dial and the pop-up flash unit?

Richard Lane

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 05:16:19 PM »
Richard:

Are you suspecting something or just curious?

Shawn L.

I'm just to trying to help separate a Mechanical Lock-up from an electrical or firmware  "freeze-up."  For example Error 20 is sometimes a Mirror Assembly or Shutter Lock-up and if the camera didn't report the error properly, then I think it should be checked for to help rule it out.

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Ah.

I will say that when mine occurred, I felt it in the camera body. The shutter was humming along nicely, then "click" and everything was dead.

Shawn L.

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
I was wondering if this could be a more extreme case of the err80 issue previously mentioned. That one (and the AFMA bug) were both linked to the AF linked to orientation setting.

Mark and I both have that set.

I could unset that, but since I have no way of reproducing the error, I'd really never know if this worked or not...

Shawn L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »

Richard Lane

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 11:18:43 PM »
Shawn,

If it helps you at all.  I have the AF point linked to orientation set on my 1DX, and luckily I haven't had any problems so far. However, I may have to do an AFMA on one of my lenses, so I will probably have to turn that function off.

Rich

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »
Thanks, Rich.

Shawn L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:35 PM »