August 20, 2014, 11:03:49 AM

Author Topic: 1DX lock up?  (Read 9885 times)

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX lock up?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »
Mark:

Do you have any update on your end? Any luck with Canon?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Shawn L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 01:25:30 PM »

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »
For those who might be interested, I decided to exchange my camera for another. While it's possible I just tickled it in a way others had not (I think that's unlikely as I've only taken 2,600 photos over 6 time separate sessions), it's also possible that the issue was something like a cracked board or another similarly hard to reproduce and/or track down error.

So, for my own peace of mind, I decided to try my hand with another one.

Shawn L.

MarkWebbPhoto

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
Mark:

Do you have any update on your end? Any luck with Canon?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Shawn L.

I shot several thousand photos over the week with a Lexar 128gb 1000x UDMA 7 card in slot one and moved my Sandisk 64GB extreme pro UDMA 6 card over to slot two while keeping all the settings the same and the camera performed well. No hiccups this week but I still see the flashing memory card light from time to time.

How's the new camera? Any different? I'm up to about 25,000 photos already and the issues haven't been serious enough to exchange it.

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
Haven't yet gotten the new one, the old one is just on the way out the door. I'll let you know.

Cheers.

Shawn L.

donkom

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:30 AM »
I've been having this lock-up issue too - it has happened on two separate occasions.

Both times it occurred was on the 2nd or 3rd photograph in a bracketed set of 7. Turning the camera off and back on resolves the problem and I can shoot the bracketed set again without troubles.

I'm using Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB and 32GB cards. I've yet to contact Canon about the issue, though I am thinking it might be worth the call instead of waiting to see what a firmware fix may offer.

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
Given that mine occurred during an extended set of quickly taken photos, I wonder if maybe the card and the camera somehow lose sync with one another, leaving the camera waiting for a reply that never happens.

I've tested my card pretty thoroughly: ran chkdsk on it several times and then wrote a small Perl program that copies large volumes of data to it quickly to stress it. The card (which was being handled through a usb reader)  didn't have any issues.

If it is failing due to a missed handshake, it could be a simple matter of changing the firmware to more gracefully handle this case.

Or maybe it's not this at all. Given the relative low frequency with which it's occurring (you'd think a systemic issue of poorly handling a protocol exchange would be more pervasive), maybe some units have a manufacturing defect -- this is my worst fear and the one I used to justify exchanging the camera.

I'd love to hear what you find out, though.

Shawn L.

Wilmark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
The only review on Amazon for the 1Dx has a similar incident, and canon changed the camera. He describes shutter lock up after trying to full up the buffer. Unless this is a post from one of you guys

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-1D-18-1MP-Digital-Camera/product-reviews/B005Y3T1AI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »
The only review on Amazon for the 1Dx has a similar incident, and canon changed the camera. He describes shutter lock up after trying to full up the buffer. Unless this is a post from one of you guys

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-1D-18-1MP-Digital-Camera/product-reviews/B005Y3T1AI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Interesting. That issue sounds nearly identical, though I didn't actually get an error code at all. Mine just completely locked up. And when I checked the error log on the camera, it was empty.

Thanks for posting this, Wilmark.

Shawn L.

John

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 10:51:27 AM »
i have been using the 1dx for about 2 months. i have had it lock up several times. i'm not able to duplicate the lock up because i don't remember the exact sequence of events that causes it to happen, but i know that the sequence has probably been somewhat different each time it occurred. it seems to happen when i am firing off a sequence of shots while shooting sports. i often review at least some of the photos that i have taken. all of this would result in a lot of processing by the camera and read/write to the memory card (lexar 32gb pro 600x).

none of the buttons work when the camera locks up. i can't display images to look at and i can't display the menus either. i can't take shots. i turn the camera off, then turn it back on and everything works just fine. it feels like i am "rebooting" my system after some sort of "software" failure. i got an ERR 80 code once, but only once. the locks ups have only occurred several times in the past couple of months and i shoot a lot each week.

i've never experienced a lock up while doing portrait work.

all of my images seem to look just fine when i view them after the lock up and i've never noticed any effect on the camera at all. once i reboot after the lock up everything works as expected.

i absolutely love the 1dx and the pictures that it takes, but the several lock ups that i have experienced bother me. i'm not sure what to do about it. i am wondering if a firmware upgrade by canon will resolve the problem since it seems more like a software glitch to me then anything having to do with the hardware.

i would love to hear from folks experiencing similar lock ups. it appears as though the problem occurs with others which again suggests that it might be a software problem since folks agree that the camera seems to be taking great pictures and it is possible to "reboot" and start shooting again. i know this sounds weird but i was actually relieved to find that others had this issue since it meant that i wasn't the only one and this will likely get the attention of canon that it is being discussed on this forum.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 11:01:31 AM by John »

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »
The pro shop that I buy all of my gear from doesn't sell Lexar Cards and has warned me against buying them for Canon cameras suggesting that Canon and Lexar have had issues in the past and that Canon doesn't officially support them. I have no idea what any of that means but I just buy SanDisk Extreme cards to be safe. I would love to hear if your problems stemmed from the cards as I'm extremely interested in the new Lexar 1000x cards. They seem like a better fit for the fast frame rates of my 1DX, but at ¥70,000 a pop in Japan, that's a huge investment to be wrong about.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

Studio1930

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Studio 1930
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
The pro shop that I buy all of my gear from doesn't sell Lexar Cards and has warned me against buying them for Canon cameras suggesting that Canon and Lexar have had issues in the past and that Canon doesn't officially support them. I have no idea what any of that means but I just buy SanDisk Extreme cards to be safe. I would love to hear if your problems stemmed from the cards as I'm extremely interested in the new Lexar 1000x cards. They seem like a better fit for the fast frame rates of my 1DX, but at ¥70,000 a pop in Japan, that's a huge investment to be wrong about.

I had Sandisk cards die on me in my 1 series cameras so I switched to Lexar 1000x 16 GB cards and have had no issues after 50K or so shots on a 1DX.
-Darrin
Studio 1930
www.studio1930.com

hammy

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:20 PM »
my 1Dx locked up as well when i started taking a few photo. i used the lexar 32 g 1000x. The LCD screen went black. all the buttons won't work. had to take out the battery and plug it back in and the camera was back to normal.

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »

I had Sandisk cards die on me in my 1 series cameras so I switched to Lexar 1000x 16 GB cards and have had no issues after 50K or so shots on a 1DX.

Thanks for the input Studio 1930. I'm definitely considering the switch to the faster Lexar cards.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41:20 AM »

Shawn L

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »
As a note, the lock-up seen here has happened with both Lexar cards (me, 1000X cards) and SanDisk (Mark). Here's his post:

The red light was on for almost the entire shoot, I'm using Sandisk 64gb and 32gb Extreme Pro cards.

Shawn L.

Chris_prophotographic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
Seems the 32 GB LEXAR 1000x is at least a small factor in the lockups! maybe that's why they are ON sale at BH.
1D X, 7D, 70-200mm MK II, 24 L MK II, 35 L, 10-22, 40mm,  Samyang 8mm, 50 1.8 mk II, PW II's
PW III's , MultiMax's, TT5's 580 II's, SB-28's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »