April 19, 2015, 05:37:06 AM

Author Topic: Safe to buy a 7D2?  (Read 3855 times)

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Safe to buy a 7D2?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:51 AM »
I stand educated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 03:19:51 AM »

Danzq

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:07 PM »
You buy from a reputable and authorized dealer.
You thoroughly test it out in all modes.
You keep it or return it within 30 days.

Easy. It's just a 'thing'. Since you know what the issues may be, you have a head start here. Do it.

Well, so this is a good place to start.

Is the 7D2 "fail" case complete and utter inability to AF?  Because it seems from reports I've seen it can be that bad, but I've also seen reports where it is "off" but not completely inaccurate.  (i.e. like the FroKnowsPhoto review).  The latter case may be more difficult to test for.

Took me around 3 months to send mine in. It was pretty okay but not at the level one of canons best AF systems should be. Now the mirror box, main sensor and shutter are being replaced. Before I sent it in the shop I bought it from had a quick look at it and said it was fine...

I think it takes atleast a semi pro to notice anything wrong with these bad copies and many of em wont ever be fixed...
7d mark II + Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 + Canon 50mm f/1.4 + Canon 85mm f/1.8

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • "Winners Don't Use Drange"
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »
I've noticed a lot of complaints of AI Servo AF issues on this camera since launch, and those that sent to Canon needed to often have their shutter and mirror box replaced in numerous cases.  It seems to be a common repair thread.

"Numerous cases"? If you assume that 2/3rd of people having problems with their 7d2 are very verbal on the Internet, and tons of 7d2 sold the issues are next to none - as always with mass-marketed gear, Canon wouldn't risk a real big repair callback.

And then of course there are those folks who think having howmany af points means you don't need skill to operate the camera anymore and find themselves wondering why the pictures are kinda "soft" and don't look like in the nature mags sooc.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
I've noticed a lot of complaints of AI Servo AF issues on this camera since launch, and those that sent to Canon needed to often have their shutter and mirror box replaced in numerous cases.  It seems to be a common repair thread.

"Numerous cases"? If you assume that 2/3rd of people having problems with their 7d2 are very verbal on the Internet, and tons of 7d2 sold the issues are next to none - as always with mass-marketed gear, Canon wouldn't risk a real big repair callback.

And then of course there are those folks who think having howmany af points means you don't need skill to operate the camera anymore and find themselves wondering why the pictures are kinda "soft" and don't look like in the nature mags sooc.

That explanation doesn't make the most sense for a few reasons:
1.  Far more 70D cameras sold, far less problems reported
2.  Virtually all of the 7D2 reported problems were with AF accuracy
3.  The same problems were spread across all different sites with people of different skill levels
4.  It seems most who sent their camera in for repair had the same repair completed, mirror box and shutter replacement which fixed the issue

Reading between the lines, it appears to be that a larger than usual batch of defective hardware went out with the initial batch of 7D2 cameras based on all the chatter. Question is, how big, and what manufacture dates are definitely not affected?

takesome1

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 09:32:38 PM »

3.  The same problems were spread across all different sites with people of different skill levels
4.  It seems most who sent their camera in for repair had the same repair completed, mirror box and shutter replacement which fixed the issue

Reading between the lines, it appears to be that a larger than usual batch of defective hardware went out with the initial batch of 7D2 cameras based on all the chatter. Question is, how big, and what manufacture dates are definitely not affected?

I  have only seen one on this site that had the replacement you mention in 4. Others have sent in bodies and they calibrated them. Mine the report said something was out of alignment. As someone who had a problem and have been watching the forums about 7D II problems I find your  conclusions to be inaccurate.

These issues were repaired at no charge by Canon. Mine took 7 days from the time I dropped it off at Fedex until it was returned to my door.

Safe to buy a 7D II, very IMO.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:32 PM »

I  have only seen one on this site that had the replacement you mention in 4. Others have sent in bodies and they calibrated them. Mine the report said something was out of alignment. As someone who had a problem and have been watching the forums about 7D II problems I find your  conclusions to be inaccurate.

These issues were repaired at no charge by Canon. Mine took 7 days from the time I dropped it off at Fedex until it was returned to my door.

But even in your case, it appears a hardware adjustment (not just AFMA) was needed.  Doesn't that seem a bit odd that so many are needing to send in their 7D2 bodies?

takesome1

• 5D Mark III
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »

But even in your case, it appears a hardware adjustment (not just AFMA) was needed.  Doesn't that seem a bit odd that so many are needing to send in their 7D2 bodies?

The 1D x had a few issues at release. Those that bought those bodies still thinks it is a great camera.
I don't think it is odd on a new release. As long as Canon honors the warranty and the problem can be corrected it is no issue at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »

ksgal

• Power Shot G7X
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
I'm one who bought early (end of October 2014) and have been back and forth and think I have a good copy.  Originally I think most of my problems were operator error, and steep learning curve with the af, also, I don't give a poop about a photo unless focus is On Target so I changed all my servo case settings to reflect that -focus priority and don't fire unless you get focus, your darn camera. Once I did that, the only issues are my ability to tell the camera what I need.

In some respects, I think -as a group - those who want a 7D2 are more educated and understand how to test and get the best out of the camera vs those that would buy a 70D...  So any manufacturing tolerances that aren't up to snuff are being ferreted out more.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the camera to anyone, with the byline that careful testing In Good Light is highly recommended if you like to see tack sharp at 100%.  As noted, a purchase from a reputable dealer with a good return policy in the event of any issues is a smart move. JMHO.
:)

rshachar

• SX60 HS
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »
Can you share more information of how you have figured out you had issues with your AF system?
I have gotten my copy two weeks ago and I'm not sure about the performance of the AF system at Servo AF.
Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 12:27:22 PM »