April 21, 2014, 07:11:31 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III and green RAw!!!  (Read 8028 times)

nomad85

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Martijn Scholtens
Re: 5D Mark III and green RAw!!!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
I had exactly the same problem. On closer inspection whitebalance was saved wrong inside the whitebalance.
Instead of 6300k and 0 tint, it had 2000k and -150 tint (lightroom). The photo itself was not destroyed, and could be corrected. Scared me good, but ended just fine :)
Wedding photographer in the Netherlands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »
I've had this sort of thing happen a few times on my 5D2.  I think I might have had it once on my 5D3, too.  From what I recall mine were always really blue.  It's not a white balance issue at all...it's an error in the camera.  I would be shooting a series of shots and the middle one would randomly come out with nothing but blue, like not all of the color channels weren't recorded.  I've heard other people report it as memory errors, but nothing really definitive.  Conversion to B&W usually did produce acceptable results, too.  I'll did through my library and see if I can find a sample to post.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

nomad85

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Martijn Scholtens
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 05:43:58 PM »
I've had this sort of thing happen a few times on my 5D2.  I think I might have had it once on my 5D3, too.  From what I recall mine were always really blue.  It's not a white balance issue at all...it's an error in the camera.  I would be shooting a series of shots and the middle one would randomly come out with nothing but blue, like not all of the color channels weren't recorded.  I've heard other people report it as memory errors, but nothing really definitive.  Conversion to B&W usually did produce acceptable results, too.  I'll did through my library and see if I can find a sample to post.

Same here, 200 normal photo's then one extremely green, like no other channel has recorded anything. The first few green shots I didnt give a second look, just gave up on them.
A few days ago I had a green photo that I wanted to use and opened him anyway in photoshop. Where I noticed that in my case it was just a WB + tint problem on that photo. Opening the older green photo's and I noticed they all had the WB + tint problem. 2000k WB with -150 Tint.
So in my case the photo's were not corrupt.
Wedding photographer in the Netherlands

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »
A picture turning green can't possibly have anything to do with a memory card error, unless the card error somehow has an intelligence of its own and knows how to change the picture's color rather than randomly corrupting some bits.

Actually it could.  It depends on how the RAW files are compressed.  If some important bits get corrupted, it's possible an entire color channel could be lost, or for every value in a color channel to be effected when the data is uncompressed.  I don't know the details of CR2, but for JPEG this is very possible since it uses discrete cosine transforms (which are similar in nature to discrete Fourier transforms) to store data in the frequency domain with separate luminescence and chrominance channels, and even uses Huffman encoding tables to save space!  To display the data you have to do everything in reverse, including of course inverse discrete cosine transforms.

If the data was stored as a boring flat array of radiance values for each color, then yes, random errors wouldn't do this, however I suspect that's not the case with most image storage systems, including ones with lossless compression.

Even if it is very rare it's UNACCEPTABLE!

Well it may have nothing to do with the Camera, and just be a random memory card error, in which case you should spend lots of money on error correcting memory cards if that's not acceptable to you.   If it's the camera's "fault", it could be a flipped bit in the buffer, which is just fairly standard RAM (which corrupts data from time to time).  If you wanted to spend a ton of money, I'm sure they could build cameras with error correcting RAM, it exists for servers but costs far more than normal RAM.

So yes we could likely make these things 1 in 1,000,000,000 events, but it would cost more than reasonable person is going to pay.

Of course they could also save parity information with the file to try and correct bit corruptions, but then our files would be a lot larger, and people would complain about that ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:39:36 PM by Area256 »
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 07:35:14 PM »