April 17, 2014, 08:25:09 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III and green RAw!!!  (Read 8010 times)

vasya4kin

5D Mark III and green RAw!!!
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »
hello, yestarday i was on the wedding and shoot photo for grandma :)
 but 1 photo was green(i shoot in raw)
picture is only raw convertor FsViewer.

Canon what it is????
Bride ask me, is it bag only one picture?
what i must to say????

iso auto
bw auto
Av
+2/3
135 2.0
multisegment
write on 2 card on sd and cf.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:40:23 AM by vasya4kin »

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III and green RAw!!!
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
Re: 5D Mark III and green RAw!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:04 AM »
How does camera show this picture on its LCD?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
This happened to me also! Only one frame out of the 15.000 I have shot with the 5d3, but still...

It became a bit different once imported to Lr, and then again different out of Photoshop, but both raw, jpeg preview on screen was faulty and green.

I can CLEARLY say this isn't a settings problem, it is a bug. This was the only shot out of 6 in a row of my sone on his tricycle that this happened to, and haven't happened since. I just wrote it off as a bug since I haven't seen it either before nor after.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
Something like this is usually a corrupted file while writing to the memory card, or transferring to the computer.
It the file green on both of your cards?

vasya4kin

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »
Lcd show like this.
yeas on both cards picture is green

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:45:39 PM »
I never saw it happen, but if it happens frequently, I'd be concerned. 

Wideopen

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:15 AM »
Ive had 1 or 2 of these green pix..reformatted my cards...not sure if it helped but havent seen it reoccur since.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:15 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
Even if it is very rare it's UNACCEPTABLE!

It may ruin an once in a lifetime shot. If someone cannot count on their equipment then the equipment is not worthy.
It would seem that as more modern and capable cameras are made reliability would improve and this is clearly not happening.
This (or anything similar) has never happened on my 5DMkII.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:38:15 AM »
Even if it is very rare it's UNACCEPTABLE!

It may ruin an once in a lifetime shot. If someone cannot count on their equipment then the equipment is not worthy.
It would seem that as more modern and capable cameras are made reliability would improve and this is clearly not happening.
This (or anything similar) has never happened on my 5DMkII.

I too need think it's desperately! Oh wait I don't have a 5d3...  :D

But seriously speaking it's like WB set on Martians mode. S..t, it was not seriously either. :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 09:57:52 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

heptagon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:41:33 AM »
OMG Canons white balance is SO OFF i didn't even notice this in the past to full extent and people complained about a green tint in Nicon pictures...

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:02:01 AM »
Call it an artist favorite art piece and charge 10,000 for a wall print... case solved.  ermmm.... i'd vote on the side of corrupted file...  I haven't seen it happen to me, but depending on the card used, last time since a format (not just deleting pictures), and other factors...  1 out of thousands of images, i wouldn't lose sleep...  every image... then rise hell. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
Call it an artist favorite art piece and charge 10,000 for a wall print... case solved.  ermmm.... i'd vote on the side of corrupted file...  I haven't seen it happen to me, but depending on the card used, last time since a format (not just deleting pictures), and other factors...  1 out of thousands of images, i wouldn't lose sleep...  every image... then rise hell.

If it was shot in RAW, then the JPEG thumbnail should at least partially answer the question:
- if it's the same, then it's camera (CMOS or other electronics error, like voltage fluctuation)
- if it's ok, then the RAW is corrupted

BTW I'm not sure and haven't found and answer, if cr2 file provides at least checksum parity check. If it doesn't then it's really strange (as for cr2, not the photo).

Maybe the photo was made at some nuclear plant and you were lucky to catch some high speed particle, which changed one bit somewhere in the green colour factor multiplier;) I've read somewhere, that the most often reason for damaging computer memory modules was cosmic radiation. Just landed vehicle on Mars has the very slow processor for the same reason - to avoid cosmic radiation, which might damage it. There is a modified version of Power PC 750, which is like 70 times slower than processors in modern mobile phones but it's resistant to cosmic radiation. One bad photo is not the reason for changing the camera. If the second one occurs, then change the camera, or place where you make photos :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:29:50 AM by marekjoz »

Chris Burch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • CHRIS BURCH photography
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
I've had a few 5D2 images show up with very blue images like not all of the color channels recorded or something.  It would literally be one file out of a thousand that I shot in one day, but it's happened several times.  It didn't look anything like the one posted though.  On mine the exposure was fine...it would just be a randomly a super-strong color cast that wasn't white balance related.  I don't think I've seen it yet on the 5D3, though.
Canon 1DX, 5D Mark III, 5D MarkII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 10:43:19 AM »

If it was shot in RAW, then the JPEG thumbnail should at least partially answer the question:
- if it's the same, then it's camera (CMOS or other electronics error, like voltage fluctuation)

BTW I'm not sure and haven't found and answer, if cr2 file provides at least checksum parity check. If it doesn't then it's really strange (as for cr2, not the photo).

Not necessarily...  if the sector of card that the camera was writing to is screwy, it could be the whole lot, raw and thumbnail... or one or both..  Of course it would be assumed if there was 1 corrupt raw file, there would be many more if that was the case, but if a card hasn't been formatted in a while, it can happen I suppose... It's just hard to recreate a scenario that happens one out of few thousand images...  Just like an image with missed focus...  Just one of those things... call it an artist favorite and charge the moon for it...  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »

Not necessarily...  if the sector of card that the camera was writing to is screwy, it could be the whole lot, raw and thumbnail... or one or both..  Of course it would be assumed if there was 1 corrupt raw file, there would be many more if that was the case, but if a card hasn't been formatted in a while, it can happen I suppose... It's just hard to recreate a scenario that happens one out of few thousand images...  Just like an image with missed focus...  Just one of those things... call it an artist favorite and charge the moon for it...  =)

But I think, that the thumbnail is created in the memory of the camera before writing RAW to the card, and after the thumbnail is created, it is added to the RAW and one file is written - RAW, containing a JPEG thumbnail. This is how I understand this process. If this is correct, then I can't even imagine the probability, that both - JPEG and RAW are affected the same way, especially that they store the information differently.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »