October 01, 2014, 02:02:48 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III and green RAw!!!  (Read 8863 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III and green RAw!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »
I've read somewhere, that the most often reason for damaging computer memory modules was cosmic radiation.

I once received a box of Kodak BioMax MS (ultrasensitive autoradiography film), a sealed package of 100 sheets, and after developing the first one (following a 5 day exposure to a radioactive sample), I noticed a ~6mm diameter black spot on the film that didn't come from my sample, and could not be attributed to a light leak in the film cassette.  I pulled a few more sheets from the pack and developed them immediately, they had the same spot - stacking the whole pack together after developing showed that the spots formed a complete column passing through the stack at a slight angle, and I suspect the pack was hit by a cosmic ray during shipping. 

RE the green RAW wedding photo, I suggest you contact all the guests and a random sample of individuals nearby the locale but not present at the event.  Check your watch, the watches of the guests, and the watches of the people not actually at the event.  I suspect you'll find a small temporal difference between those there and those not there, indicating that the entire wedding party and all the guests, and you, were abducted by aliens.  Your shot was taken just as the matter transmitter beam was collecting you all for transport, and while the aliens eliminated most other traces of their presence, they missed your 5DIII.  I would not report this to Canon, but to the National Enquirer, instead.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:08 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
Even if it is very rare it's UNACCEPTABLE!

It may ruin an once in a lifetime shot. If someone cannot count on their equipment then the equipment is not worthy.
It would seem that as more modern and capable cameras are made reliability would improve and this is clearly not happening.
This (or anything similar) has never happened on my 5DMkII.
So,Most photographers are very happy to have 50% of their images become keepers.  You must not be willing to accept one of 15,000 that are not perfect. 
What are you going to do if one day the photographer goofs and you have a poor image?  Send him back to the factory?
This could be easily caused by opening the battery door before the camera finished writing.  If so, send the photographer back, one of 15,000 is unacceptable.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
I've read somewhere, that the most often reason for damaging computer memory modules was cosmic radiation.

I once received a box of Kodak BioMax MS (ultrasensitive autoradiography film), a sealed package of 100 sheets, and after developing the first one (following a 5 day exposure to a radioactive sample), I noticed a ~6mm diameter black spot on the film that didn't come from my sample, and could not be attributed to a light leak in the film cassette.  I pulled a few more sheets from the pack and developed them immediately, they had the same spot - stacking the whole pack together after developing showed that the spots formed a complete column passing through the stack at a slight angle, and I suspect the pack was hit by a cosmic ray during shipping. 

RE the green RAW wedding photo, I suggest you contact all the guests and a random sample of individuals nearby the locale but not present at the event.  Check your watch, the watches of the guests, and the watches of the people not actually at the event.  I suspect you'll find a small temporal difference between those there and those not there, indicating that the entire wedding party and all the guests, and you, were abducted by aliens.  Your shot was taken just as the matter transmitter beam was collecting you all for transport, and while the aliens eliminated most other traces of their presence, they missed your 5DIII.  I would not report this to Canon, but to the National Enquirer, instead.   :P

@neuro - You'd be surprised, if that was the case with the aliens :)
BTW, 6mm diameter is quite a lot for a single proton hit :)

Seriously speaking, here is a whitepaper about memory soft errors (so not critical for the hardware): http://www.tezzaron.com/about/papers/soft_errors_1_1_secure.pdf. Assuming the numbers given on page 2 (of 7 so not so long) such a case as shown on the picture of OP is not impossible and might occur quite often, regarding the number of people shooting multiplied by number of files multiplied by the size of each file.
So next time people - don't underestimate the influence of the cosmic rays in your real life on this planet :)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:59:45 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »

nothing is perfect.. when you are older then 8 years you should have grasped reality.  :P
But the 3500-3600 dollars/pounds/euro that Canon / dealer would get would be perfect!
I do not think they would accept e, hmm for example  3400 plus a piece of paper saying sorry can you please imagine this piece of paper as being the rest 100-200 missing (to gether with buyer's gratitude  ;D )

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »

nothing is perfect.. when you are older then 8 years you should have grasped reality.  :P
But the 3500-3600 dollars/pounds/euro that Canon / dealer would get would be perfect!
I do not think they would accept e, hmm for example  3400 plus a piece of paper saying sorry can you please imagine this piece of paper as being the rest 100-200 missing (to gether with buyer's gratitude  ;D )

Wrong proportions: if it costs 3500$ and it's life is 150 000 photos, then 1 broken photo in it's life is worth 2 cents. I think you'd get such a rebate...

helpful

• EOS M2
  • Ecclesiastes 3:11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
I am 99% sure I know the cause of this. When the AWB reading is somehow saturated by an extra bright light source at the time when the AWB is set, then the WB reading is way green. It's happened to me with many other cameras, but actually, with my 5D Mark III it hasn't happened yet. The same thing can happen if you try to set manual white balance from a very overexposed shot, with at least one of the color channels completely saturated.

A picture turning green can't possibly have anything to do with a memory card error, unless the card error somehow has an intelligence of its own and knows how to change the picture's color rather than randomly corrupting some bits.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D x5, 6D, T2i, T3, 1D X, 10-22mm, 16-35mm II, 18-55mm II, 18-135mm IS x2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm 1/1.8 II x2, 85mm f/1.8 x2, 100mm f/2 x2, 135mm f/2L x2, 200mm f/2.8L II x2, 1.4X III, 2.0X II, 60mm f/2.8 Macro, etc. only had room to list a few Canon items

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

A picture turning green can't possibly have anything to do with a memory card error, unless the card error somehow has an intelligence of its own and knows how to change the picture's color rather than randomly corrupting some bits.

It might be a bit changed in a green channel value, affecting the whole image. I think that raws store the initial information and operations + values applied, but without changing the values of the pixels -take a look in xmp file.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:45:53 PM by marekjoz »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »

junkstarr

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
Got a green frame today. First out of the 1200 frames I've shot. But its there none the less. Most likely a bug in firmware.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

buy a car or a TV, buy a printer, buy.. whatever.. everything has flaws.

you use a PC... i guess you never had a software bug?
my PC cost nearly as much as a 5D MK3.#

so above statement from you makes no sense in the real world.
Except that you compare software bugs with something that is not 100% verified that it is indeed a software bug. I wish it is but we do not know yet.
What is more certain is your desire to try to insult

And-Rew

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
My initial thoughts on seeing this picture was "white balance issue".

I'm curious how it looked after you imported the RAW file into the computer and adjusted the white balance?
Did it then return to being an acceptable picture?

If so - then white balance setting is the cause - but what upset the WB setting is another issue altogether  ???
Forgive my not asking - but it doesn't look too bad in B&W  ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:14:30 PM by And-Rew »

NotABunny

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »

The Matrix is starting to unravel, eh? :D

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 02:13:56 PM »

bp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »

Now see.... THIS is why I frequently skip ahead in a thread, and just look for a post with Neuro's avatar

Don't ever change your avatar bud
5D3 - 5D2 - 7D - T2i   | 24L II | 35L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 24-105L | 70-200 IS II | Shorty Forty | 50 1.4 | Bower 14 | Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 | 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 02:21:26 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »
hello, yestarday i was on the wedding and shoot photo for grandma :)
 but 1 photo was green(i shoot in raw)
picture is only raw convertor FsViewer.

Canon what it is????
Bride ask me, is it bag only one picture?
what i must to say????

iso auto
bw auto
Av
+2/3
135 2.0
multisegment
write on 2 card on sd and cf.

You could probably save this photo in a B&W.

Is it possible a faulty card corrupted the Image?

DArora

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
This is most likely a firmware bug. To my understanding, red and blue channel information were missed while writing the data on the card. Since the image is similar on both the cards, I believe the loss of information took place even before writing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »