November 27, 2014, 03:58:55 AM

Author Topic: Need Help, 1 DsIII vs 5d mark III  (Read 12096 times)

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Need Help, 1 DsIII vs 5d mark III
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »
Some really great condition 1ds III's are coming out for sale about the same price of a new 5 dIII and I wanted some advice on weather its better to get the older pro camera or the newer mid range camera. Does anyone have some good advice?

canon rumors FORUM

Need Help, 1 DsIII vs 5d mark III
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Re: Need Help, 1 DsIII vs 5d mark III
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »
Well, if you have followed any of the other numerous posts covering the same ground...

The consensus is that the big drawback on the 1 Ds III vs 5DIII is high ISO performance... and the 1 Ds III is superior at the low end of the scale.

You also have those black focus points on the 5DIII vs 1 Ds III.

No interchangeable focus screen on the 5DIII.

No AF at f/8 on the 5DIII.

I'm sure there are some technical differences between the AF systems. The 1 series will spot meter linked to the AF point while everything else does not.

There are the size and weight differences between the two body styles.

The LCD on the 1 Ds III is nothing like the 5DII or III.

There are no clear-cut answers.

I personally like the nose relief on the 1 series bodies compared to everything else. The integrated grip also makes the camera fit my hands better.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
I'm still struggling with this myself.  I own both and am going to sell one.  I can see the advantages and disadvantages of both, in real life.  The 5D3 can shoot relatively well at all ISO's in it's reasonable range.  The 1Ds3 cannot.  I'd argue it's useless above 800 or 1000.  The 5D3 can shoot well into 6400-8000 and look just fine.  However, the 1Ds3 is the ultimate landscape camera.  You will not get the IQ on landscape shots with a 5D3 that you will with a 1Ds3.  I don't know why this is, but it is.  The distant background with the 5D3 gets fuzzy/meshy whereas the 1Ds3 is still so clear all the way to the back of the scene, even at f/22. 

Overall, well-rounded camera:  Get the 5D Mark III
Landscape, daytime, low ISO shooter only:  Get the 1Ds Mark III

The other issue many will face, is that when they purchase the 1DX, that may be able to replace the 5D Mark III's spot.  Isn't that interesting?  Then you'd have kits consisting of only the 1DX and 1Ds Mark III.  This tells me that in all reality, the 5D Mark III is sort of part of the replacement of the 1Ds III.  It's much tougher to differentiate the two, even tougher than the 1Ds3 vs. 1Ds2 debate everyone faced.  That was a bit easier due to megapickels, but this choice isn't. 

If you are NOT going to get the 1DX and you think at any time that you may need to shoot at higher ISO's, then you have to get the 5D Mark III instead.  If you know you will be shooting well-lit studio, outdoor scenes, landscape only, then you can enjoy the IQ of the 1Ds3.  If you have the buget to own both, get a 1DX.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
I am leaning towards lower ISO's higher quality files, I have a 5 Mark II, its nice does decent up 1600, 3200 requires careful attention to exposure but it leaves me wanting a better ISO 100. Landscapes and portraits are my bigger concern. Color rendition is important also.
Thank you to the two people that have taken the time to give thoughtful and detailed responses.

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »
Some really great condition 1ds III's are coming out for sale about the same price of a new 5 dIII and I wanted some advice on weather its better to get the older pro camera or the newer mid range camera. Does anyone have some good advice?

I wanted to just give you an example that I had to consider.  This year I will only be doing Ashland U sports.  Period.  So I have to follow the law of specificity unfortunately.  The 1Ds3 is a very neat toy, but I can't use it.  I'll have a 1DX, 1D4, and 5D3 (for tennis and golf) in my kit.  I'd love to keep the 1Ds3 and maybe buy Canon's new megapickel camera in two years, but I can't justify it and I have no reason to do so.  The other reason, besides a queiter shutter at tennis and golf, I'm keeping the 5D3 is that I will still do weddings.  Again, unfortunately, the 1Ds3 will lose out here to the 5D3.  So really, I'd consider it's strengths and weaknessed and what you'll be using each for, and what you need, before purchasing.  I think Brian uses the 1Ds3 quite a bit indoors but he has a lot of lighting in his kit.  My combos will be 1DX/1D4 sports, 5D3 tennis/golf, 1DX/5D3 weddings.  I'd love to exploit a few other cameras but I just can't justify it.  If someone  would only pay me to shoot whatever I wanted................ ;D
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
I am leaning towards lower ISO's higher quality files, I have a 5 Mark II, its nice does decent up 1600, 3200 requires careful attention to exposure but it leaves me wanting a better ISO 100. Landscapes and portraits are my bigger concern. Color rendition is important also.
Thank you to the two people that have taken the time to give thoughtful and detailed responses.

Ok, I see your situation now.  If you keep your 5D Mark II, you'll notice a drastic, and very noticeable improvement in color rendition, accuracy, saturation, at ISO 50-400 in the 1Ds3 over the 5D2.  I shoot the 1Ds3 in Portrait mode, and I just absolutely love it.  It's pretty magical in those ISO ranges and I have not observed any banding in the shadows yet.  So yeah, you'd have your range covered with the 1Ds3/5D2 combo. 

The other thing is the metering accuracy of the 1Ds3 over the 5D2.  When I import RAW files the camera got it exactly right, whereas I cannot say this for when I owned the 5D2. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

Ok, I see your situation now.  If you keep your 5D Mark II, you'll notice a drastic, and very noticeable improvement in color rendition, accuracy, saturation, at ISO 50-400 in the 1Ds3 over the 5D2.  I shoot the 1Ds3 in Portrait mode, and I just absolutely love it.  It's pretty magical in those ISO ranges and I have not observed any banding in the shadows yet.  So yeah, you'd have your range covered with the 1Ds3/5D2 combo. 

The other thing is the metering accuracy of the 1Ds3 over the 5D2.  When I import RAW files the camera got it exactly right, whereas I cannot say this for when I owned the 5D2.

+1 - 1DS3 is still tops for low iso and particularly good for portrait colour rendition

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:20:21 PM »
Im telling you straight, I just had a 1DS 3 and now have a 5D3, trust me the 5D3 is way better I mean by miles!

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 02:27:29 PM »
Im telling you straight, I just had a 1DS 3 and now have a 5D3, trust me the 5D3 is way better I mean by miles!

In what way do you think it is better?

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »
FPS, AF, ISO, Settings, so many of them etc, auto ISO etc, silent Shutter is amazing, Multiple exposures, just the general feel is so nice, I honestly loved the 1DS 3 before I had this in my hands, without a doubt I am so happy I made this choice its the right one, there's just so many options to this camera, its like it has everything you need, 22mps, is way enough generally, even HDR will have its uses and I hate HDR shots, but I know it could help if shooting interiors etc, its a move forward, also buffer time, its quick, the 1DS 3 is terribly slow if you turn on Iso NR, its a great camera..

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
FPS, AF, ISO, Settings, so many of them etc, auto ISO etc, silent Shutter is amazing, Multiple exposures, just the general feel is so nice, I honestly loved the 1DS 3 before I had this in my hands, without a doubt I am so happy I made this choice its the right one, there's just so many options to this camera, its like it has everything you need, 22mps, is way enough generally, even HDR will have its uses and I hate HDR shots, but I know it could help if shooting interiors etc, its a move forward, also buffer time, its quick, the 1DS 3 is terribly slow if you turn on Iso NR, its a great camera..

I agree overall.  However, go shoot in tungsten lighting and tell me what color your shadows are on the 5D3 and then on the 1Ds3.  Then try to change the color in post.  It's not too kind.  This is a big problem with the 5D3.  Incidentally it's the only problem I've found, but quite irritating when the whole f'ing room is GREEN even while shooting in the correct white balance/temp.  I couldn't even fix a lot of them, the shadows I could not get rid of the green hue, especially in the folds of people's eyes and arms.  The 1DX and 1Ds3 get it right.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Its strange that the prices of used 1d mk4 bodies are holding value much better than 1ds3 are considering that the later were much more expensive new too
APS-H Fanboy

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »
Its just build your paying for, trust me, its just the looks you probably want and so did I, but then I felt I did have a 5 year old camera in my hand, and you really do, it isn't worth it, honest, you need to play with both, I was lucky I did,

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:08 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Its strange that the prices of used 1d mk4 bodies are holding value much better than 1ds3 are considering that the later were much more expensive new too

I've noticed that too.
Probably because the features of the 1Ds3 has been well and truly replaced by either the 1DX, 5D3, or both.
Features like Movie, High ISO, Low ISO, IQ, AF speed, AF Points, Build Quality and Sealing, all of that.

The only feature that hasn't been replaced is the f/8 AF point, which the 1Ds3 and 1D4 both have. But if you really need f/8, and are choosing betwen these two, then you're probably a Birder or otherwise using T/Cs, and you'd appreciate the 1.3x crop too.

As to the OP, everything's pretty much been said. If you can afford a 1DX, get that.
If it's pure 5D3 vs 1Ds3, then it's up to whether you're a Daylight Pro or a Nighttime Amateur or Pro who takes care of their gear...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »
I think we will also need some example 1DX vs. 1Ds Mark III landscape shots.  Can the 1DX match it at landscape photography?  If not, I'd have no hesitation keeping a 1Ds3 in my kit, but I'm guessing the 1DX will do pretty well against it. 
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:19:44 PM »