September 22, 2014, 08:27:12 PM

Author Topic: Firmware update for 7D  (Read 13407 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware update for 7D
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »

P.S Feel free to make fun since I was too making fun by saying: "wait! I don't have a 7D!"  ;D

There is some ethics behind making fun of some special people. I hope nobody will make fun of you.
 ;D
I didn't mean any harm. That's why I said that you could make fun too. If someone makes fun (well intentioned of course) he/she should accept the same from others. This is ethical. No hard feelings. I too started laughing at myself saying " I want a firmware update too"  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:02 AM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »

P.S Feel free to make fun since I was too making fun by saying: "wait! I don't have a 7D!"  ;D

There is some ethics behind making fun of some special people. I hope nobody will make fun of you.
 ;D
I didn't mean any harm. That's why I said that you could make fun too. If someone makes fun (well intentioned of course) he/she should accept the same from others. This is ethical. No hard feelings. I too started laughing at myself saying " I want a firmware update too"  ;D

Ok, my above joke went too far :) A kind of "InceptionTM joke"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:25:33 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:53 PM »
but will it be able to process RAW-files from other Cameras ?  ...thinking of 1ds3 Raws...

Do you want to upload files from other cameras to 7d with firmware 2.0?

I want to take a card with 1ds files on it and process them in the 7d, so I can copy the edited jpgs to an sd card to give them to someone.

Might make sense.

No it doesn't.  Not even a little bit.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 02:41:26 AM »
but will it be able to process RAW-files from other Cameras ?  ...thinking of 1ds3 Raws...

I want to take a card with 1ds files on it and process them in the 7d, so I can copy the edited jpgs to an sd card to give them to someone.

Might make sense.

Yes it does.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »

Might make sense.

Yes it does.

Who are you defending...  @Timothy_Bruce for his comment (was he even being serious?) or yourself for capitulating that it "might make sense"?  Ok, either of you explain how it makes sense to want to "process 1Ds3 files on a 7D in order to copy the edited jpgs to an SD card".

For me personally, I don't have any desire to do any post-production work on the 3 inch LCD of my 7D but hey it's an option if you find the need for it.   But let's say you want to do that and then further want to transfer files from another body for editing and then transfer to an SD card...

Step 1:  remove CF card from 7D
Step 2:  remove CF card from 1Ds3
Step 3:  insert CF card with 1Ds3 files into 7D
Step 4:  edit files on tiny 3 inch screeen... yay!
Step 5:  transfer files to SD card... oops where is that pesky SD card slot on the 7D... #fail
Step 6:  remove CF card from 7D
Step 7:  insert CF card into a computer and transfer edited jpgs
Step 8:  remove CF card from computer
Step 9:  insert SD card into computer and transfer files
Step 10: remove SD card and give to someone
Step 11:  that person transfers files to computer from SD card then gives back SD card

Or how about this alternative

Step 1:  transfer 1Ds3 files to computer
Step 2:  process and edit 1Ds3 files on computer
Step 3:  transfer processed files to a USB stick, CD, or other low-cost transfer such as email or web-site... #FTW
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:10:15 AM by Meh »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 10:26:53 AM »

Might make sense.

Yes it does.

Who are you defending...  @Timothy_Bruce for his comment (was he even being serious?) or yourself for capitulating that it "might make sense"?  Ok, either of you explain how it makes sense to want to "process 1Ds3 files on a 7D in order to copy the edited jpgs to an SD card".

For me personally, I don't have any desire to do any post-production work on the 3 inch LCD of my 7D but hey it's an option if you find the need for it.   But let's say you want to do that and then further want to transfer files from another body for editing and then transfer to an SD card...

Step 1:  remove CF card from 7D
Step 2:  remove CF card from 1Ds3
Step 3:  insert CF card with 1Ds3 files into 7D
Step 4:  edit files on tiny 3 inch screeen... yay!
Step 5:  transfer files to SD card... oops where is that pesky SD card slot on the 7D... #fail
Step 6:  remove CF card from 7D
Step 7:  insert CF card into a computer and transfer edited jpgs
Step 8:  remove CF card from computer
Step 9:  insert SD card into computer and transfer files
Step 10: remove SD card and give to someone
Step 11:  that person transfers files to computer from SD card then gives back SD card

Or how about this alternative

Step 1:  transfer 1Ds3 files to computer
Step 2:  process and edit 1Ds3 files on computer
Step 3:  transfer processed files to a USB stick, CD, or other low-cost transfer such as email or web-site... #FTW

Ok, I am not a professional but try to have so much fun with shooting as possible, so I have a sport event tomorrow. I take 5d2 and 7d with me, I don't own 1ds3. There is no need to shoot all the time, there is some time to manipulate images in camera to avoid manipulating them in a computer. I should transfer them as fast as possible. Could I take photos from 5d2 to 7d and edit them as well? I think I could. The only one missing feature is image cropping/trimming.
I am not sure how it will go in the field. I don't pretend it's the feature which let avoid editing in a computer after all, for achieving best results. No one is going to put Photoshop in 7d or pretend it works same way.
I told "might make sense". I am not sure yet it will. You are sure. Good for you.
The only thing I should aware of are stupid attacks which sometimes require defending, like in this case.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:28:26 AM by marekjoz »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »
Ok, I am not a professional but try to have so much fun with shooting as possible, so I have a sport event tomorrow. I take 5d2 and 7d with me, I don't own 1ds3. There is no need to shoot all the time, there is some time to manipulate images in camera to avoid manipulating them in a computer. I should transfer them as fast as possible. Could I take photos from 5d2 to 7d and edit them as well? I think I could. The only one missing feature is image cropping/trimming.
I am not sure how it will go in the field. I don't pretend it's the feature which let avoid editing in a computer after all, for achieving best results. No one is going to put Photoshop in 7d or pretend it works same way.
I told "might make sense". I am not sure yet it will. You are sure. Good for you.
The only thing I should aware of are stupid attacks which sometimes require defending, like in this case.

So let me tell you what I find interesting about your responses:

1. I disagreed with you but was polite and not personal about it and then actually provided my rational (I admit to sarcasm) but then you take my disagreement as some sort of attack and then use the word "stupid".  So in fact, the only person making a "stupid attack" was you by implying an insult.

2. You are missing a key point entirely...  Timothy_Bruce said he wanted to transfer files to an SD card and that is the most significant reason why it didn't make sense.  There is no SD card slot in the 7D so you would have to have a means of getting the files onto an SD card which most reasonably would be a computer... but if you need to use the computer anyway it would be easier/better/faster to do the editing on the computer.

3. And the most interesting part is that you seem to have not quite understood the logic in the first place and questioned it.  I do actually think Tim_Bruce might have been joking and then yanked your chain about wanting to edit and then transfer to an SD card.  But being the sensitive soul you appear to be you capitulated and replied "ok that might might makes sense".  When I disagreed you got defensive and firmly took a position on the side you were originally questioning and even continue to stand on "might" make sense. 

Ahhh human psychology at it's finest.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2012, 11:15:40 AM »

So let me tell you what I find interesting about your responses:

1. I disagreed with you but was polite and not personal about it and then actually provided my rational (I admit to sarcasm) but then you take my disagreement as some sort of attack and then use the word "stupid".  So in fact, the only person making a "stupid attack" was you by implying an insult.

2. You are missing a key point entirely...  Timothy_Bruce said he wanted to transfer files to an SD card and that is the most significant reason why it didn't make sense.  There is no SD card slot in the 7D so you would have to have a means of getting the files onto an SD card which most reasonably would be a computer... but if you need to use the computer anyway it would be easier/better/faster to do the editing on the computer.

3. And the most interesting part is that you seem to have not quite understood the logic in the first place and questioned it.  I do actually think Tim_Bruce might have been joking and then yanked your chain about wanting to edit and then transfer to an SD card.  But being the sensitive soul you appear to be you capitulated and replied "ok that might might makes sense".  When I disagreed you got defensive and firmly took a position on the side you were originally questioning and even continue to stand on "might" make sense. 

Ahhh human psychology at it's finest.

Actually and frankly speaking I don't care if this SD or CF, because the result would be almost the same. The bigger problem is not with the memory card format but with editing files from other cameras. If the only reason you say, that it doesn't make sense is the fact, that 7d doesn't support SD cards, then ok.
And yes, you also didn't catch my intention  of my answer ("Yes it does"). It was to be funny and like childy bantering.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:18:34 AM by marekjoz »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
Ha ha ha.  Entrenched.  Indignant.  Humourless.  Hysterical.

This thread is all that endears me to and repels me from forums.

Quitting whilst you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
Ha ha ha.  Entrenched.  Indignant.  Humourless.  Hysterical.

This thread is all that endears me to and repels me from forums.

Quitting whilst you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting.

Hello Paul,
waht do you think about differences in effects on pictures between editing in camera and in DPP?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »
@marekjoz
Hello Paul,
waht do you think about differences in effects on pictures between editing in camera and in DPP?

I'm not really wanting to get roped in to be honest, my opinion is what works for me is best for me.

I went against my own advice and put the firmware on yesterday, and because my nephews are visiting (aged 3&1/2 and 8) the improvements in burst depth are coming in very handy. 

And my new 100 f2 USM is getting a work out, as is the AiServo mode on my 7D.  But I digress.

Canon have made a very good camera excellent.   Those who aren't immediately reaping the benefits of fwV2 don't use a camera in a way that requires them to have a 7D.  In my opinion.

Not a fan of in camera processing.   I shoot RAW because I do like to tinker at the computer, add about 40% sharpening and about 50% luma NR depending on the ISO.  And I see the benefit. 

I don't use DPP all that often, I find ACR via photoshop better.  On the rare occassions I shot with an 18-55 kit lens (non and IS) I found DPP squeezed that extra 10% out the lens.

I had a wee dabble with the incamera RAW processing.  I can see the benefit for those on a quick turn around, and certainly the rating seems like a great idea, but generally... not for me.

I can't speak from any imperical or qualified standpoint, just what works for me.

I would say that when folk start quoting 10 previous quotes in a reply that a thread has went sour, and that it's probably time to get back out with the camera and remind yourself why you do it.

Forums are all the same.  It could be cheese.  Somebody would have tried a cheese first, somebody could have spent more on cheese, some folk just can't accept anybody else liking another type of cheese, somebody else might just want to get on with enjoying their cheese without being insulted.

It's tiresome.  A shame because there is a lot of knowledge and a lot of worth on here.  Some folk just let themselves down though.  And they certainly wouldn't speak the way they type if they were sitting next to the person in a pub...

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
@marekjoz
Hello Paul,

(...)
Canon have made a very good camera excellent.   Those who aren't immediately reaping the benefits of fwV2 don't use a camera in a way that requires them to have a 7D.  In my opinion.

I like it as well, although in my opinion,  mastering 7D is much more difficult than 5d2 - it's easier for me to get better IQ from the latter.

Not a fan of in camera processing.   I shoot RAW because I do like to tinker at the computer, add about 40% sharpening and about 50% luma NR depending on the ISO.  And I see the benefit. 

I don't use DPP all that often, I find ACR via photoshop better.  On the rare occassions I shot with an 18-55 kit lens (non and IS) I found DPP squeezed that extra 10% out the lens.

I had a wee dabble with the incamera RAW processing.  I can see the benefit for those on a quick turn around, and certainly the rating seems like a great idea, but generally... not for me.

This is the first camera in my hand, which provides RAW manipulation, so I have no experience in it at all. ANyway I'm surprised the differences between DPP and firmware RAW processing are so meaningful. I'll see tomorrow how and if it works in the field. I can live with DPP. It lacks perspective correction, which I find the most missing feature for someone, who hasn't TSE.

I would say that when folk start quoting 10 previous quotes in a reply that a thread has went sour, and that it's probably time to get back out with the camera and remind yourself why you do it.

Forums are all the same.  It could be cheese.  Somebody would have tried a cheese first, somebody could have spent more on cheese, some folk just can't accept anybody else liking another type of cheese, somebody else might just want to get on with enjoying their cheese without being insulted.

It's tiresome.  A shame because there is a lot of knowledge and a lot of worth on here.  Some folk just let themselves down though.  And they certainly wouldn't speak the way they type if they were sitting next to the person in a pub...

English is not my native language and sometimes I simply cannot catch all the language nuances... I hope it's rare and to people disgusted with my writing all I can say is - sorry and I do my best :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:40:45 PM by marekjoz »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »
Hi Marek

In our limited dealings I've found you courteous, I don't know if you've insulted anybody, so I wasn't directing that at you, just an observation that the thread was turning a bit sour. 

Your English is better than many of the native speakers I know, you do well.

Cheers

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 07:50:18 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 04:25:19 AM »
Hi Marek

In our limited dealings I've found you courteous, I don't know if you've insulted anybody, so I wasn't directing that at you, just an observation that the thread was turning a bit sour. 

Your English is better than many of the native speakers I know, you do well.

Cheers

Thx

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »
So I had a possibility to use the new features of 7D firmware in the field - RAW in camera manipulation, so I thought I share my experience with this: I had no time to use it in the field :)
End of story :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 04:34:25 PM »