October 31, 2014, 06:57:14 AM

Author Topic: Canon to announce medium format dslr?  (Read 16035 times)

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon to announce medium format dslr?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:09 AM »
However, we'll have four mount - EFs, EF, M and MF. That's a lot of investment in production lines but if Canon can pull off MF it will certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons i.e. Nikon & Sony  :)
Actually, 5 lines as Canon is also making their cine lenses in PL mount...though, it's really a whole production line just to produce those in EF mount anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 12:39:09 AM »

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:08 AM »
Canon could release a new mount / lens system for the MF body and an adaptor for EF lenses possibly in a cropped mode.

However, we'll have four mount - EFs, EF, M and MF. That's a lot of investment in production lines but if Canon can pull off MF it will certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons i.e. Nikon & Sony  :)

Canon can do what they want.  The technology exists.

The question is - does the market exist? 

What would Canon bring to the MF digital market that is not there already, and would the resultant perceived value support pricing that would make the line profitable for Canon?

Folks get excited over the technical aspects of things, but one does have to remember that Canon is a money making concern, and unless the product can be supported by the market... its a no go.

I for one cannot see an "EF in crop mode" as part of any MF camera.   If you can afford the MF camera in the first place, and have the EF lenses to use in "crop mode", you almost certainly have a better performing camera body that accepts those lenses.

Folks who "need" a large sensor, high resolution imaging system do not need Canon's forte (so far) of technical experience.  Those folks wont be shooting fast moving, high FPS, hard to focus types of images with MF equipment. 

I can see some marketing hype of "near MF resolution" from an EOS camera body, which reminds me of the "near 35mm resolution" claimed from the Pentax 110 system so many years ago (when I sold a ton of 'em behind the counter!).   

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 02:26:16 AM »
Canon could release a new mount / lens system for the MF body and an adaptor for EF lenses possibly in a cropped mode.

Canon can do what they want.  The technology exists.

The question is - does the market exist? 

What would Canon bring to the MF digital market that is not there already, and would the resultant perceived value support pricing that would make the line profitable for Canon?

Folks get excited over the technical aspects of things, but one does have to remember that Canon is a money making concern, and unless the product can be supported by the market... its a no go.

I for one cannot see an "EF in crop mode" as part of any MF camera.   If you can afford the MF camera in the first place, and have the EF lenses to use in "crop mode", you almost certainly have a better performing camera body that accepts those lenses.

Folks who "need" a large sensor, high resolution imaging system do not need Canon's forte (so far) of technical experience.  Those folks wont be shooting fast moving, high FPS, hard to focus types of images with MF equipment. 

I can see some marketing hype of "near MF resolution" from an EOS camera body, which reminds me of the "near 35mm resolution" claimed from the Pentax 110 system so many years ago (when I sold a ton of 'em behind the counter!).

You are right. The first aspect that Canon is profit; '' if we release a MF body we will make a profit? what the market says?''

I believe there is a big market for MF Canon bodies especially if they produce a system that accept EF lenses in some sort of crop mode. A FF sensor is covering an area of 8.65 cm2, an MF sensor (45x32) is covering around 14.4 cm2 so you will still have around 22-23 MP out of a 40MP MF sensor using EF lenses.

I only say that a MF Canon body make allot of sense ( financially and potential market share). A $8-9K MF Canon body that accepts EF lenses in crop mode will bite a considerable chunk out of Hassy and other MF producers.

The majority of pro photographers in the world are using FF bodies. I believe a jump from a 5-6k FF body to a 20K body is too much for many of them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:08:57 AM by nicku »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »
Wouldn't they go for a big MP 6x6 or 6x7 system?
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 05:23:25 AM »

I can see a large number of things Canon could bring to medium format, most obviously a much lower price but also more advanced AF, faster FPS and liveview.

By far the most obvious EF lenses to use would be the TS-E's, very useful lenses for a high megapixels landscape/architecture shooters and MF current does not offer many options, espeically when it comes to lenses as wide as the 17mm TSE. The shift maybe somewhat limated but still provide a fair bit of use at a reasonable price by MF standards.

I would agree with the earlier posts that a MF mirrorless would be the most interesting option, espeically if Canon is looking for a mass market at a lower(sub £5000 anyway) price for rich amatures aswell as pros.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:14:44 AM by moreorless »

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:44 AM »
I don't believe this rumor. Canon is moving "beyond the still" as the world evolves- their big ticket items seem to be in the cinema/ Hollywood realm. It just doesn't make sense with their brand position.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:44 AM »