August 22, 2014, 11:48:17 AM

Author Topic: Canon to announce medium format dslr?  (Read 15523 times)

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Canon to announce medium format dslr?
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
Whoooa!!

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/05/canon-medium-format-dslr-and-sony-nex-6-both-coming-next-month/

"There are some interesting murmurings in the world of camera rumors. Photokina is just around the corner, and if the rumors are to be believed, we’ll be seeing some pretty earth-shattering unveilings at the German trade show.

CanonWatch recently received information about an upcoming medium format DSLR by Canon, to be announced at Photokina.

The camera will reportedly offer an EF mount, but may not be compatible with the entire lineup of EF lenses:

[...] newer EF lenses will be supported and (older) lenses with popular focal lengths that actually are suited for full frame sensors will see new editions for the medium format camera (possibly in Spring 2013). Since an EF mount accepts all EF lenses, the only way I can figure out you can block certain EF lenses from being used is through electronic sensing (my speculation). It is not known if the medium format DSLR will have a mechanical interlock for EF-S lenses (though I think this is more than plausible).

It would certainly be an interesting move by Canon. Just months after announcing a cinema DSLR to compete against the likes of RED, Canon would be diving headfirst into a market occupied by the likes of Pentax and Hasselblad.

On a slightly less earth-shattering note, SonyAlphaRumors is reporting with certainty that Sony has a NEX-6 camera prepped and ready for launch.

The camera would be a smaller counterpart to the enormously popular NEX-7 — a top-seller amongst mirrorless cameras. They write,

[...] this will be a sort of “mini-NEX-7″. It has an integrated viewfinder like the NEX-7 but with a tiny bit lower EVF resolution. The camera will be cheaper than the NEX-7 and price right in the middle between the NEX-5F (also coming in September) and the current NEX-7.

Get ready: we might be in for a boatload of exciting announcements come next month.

Looks like we have allot to look forward too,

anyone see this coming?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon to announce medium format dslr?
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
Re: Canon to announce medium format dslr?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »
I think I (roughly) worked out in a post a few months back, that there's not much more room in the 44.00mm between the lens and sensor for a bigger mirror (currently 24mm for FF). Maybe it could go to 45x30mm with some squeezing, almost competing with the Leica S2 in sensor size (hopefully not in the same price ballpark), but I doubt we'll see much higher.

Unless.

And this is a big hope.

Get rid of the mirror.

Medium Format Digital Rangefinder.

(or it doesn't even have to be rangefinder, just mirrorless with Hybrid AF Sensor like EOS-M and 650D).
Like a Digital Mamiya 7 with Live-View.
I really really doubt it.
But I really really want it to happen, i'd be preordering.

As for image circle coverage, if it's FF or bigger, then EF-S lenseswill probably be precluded just as they are for normal FF. Some EF lenses have a bigger image-circle than needed for an FF sensor, like the TS-E range (by design), the 8-15mm Fisheye (at the 'longer' lengths at least), probably others (like the longer telephotos, anything with the least vignetting on FF).
Or maybe they could cough up to Nikon and pay the patent-money for Digital Cropping with smaller image circles (like using DX lenses on FX bodies).

Still, I doubt it.
But it's the only way you're getting an MF out of Canon, and definitely the only way you're getting EF lenses on any MF body (Hartblei H-Cam excepted).

As for the NEX-6.
wtf?
"The camera would be a smaller counterpart to the enormously popular NEX-7"
You can get smaller than a NEX-7? It already looks like a pack of cards on a beercan, why make it a matchbox?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

keithcooper

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:47:45 AM »
A rework of the CanonWarch stuff, which is one of the more vague 'MF' reports for a while.

Ignores the flange distance of the EF mount and any required mirror (Canon MF mirrorless is just a bit too way out - this is Canon we're talking about)

It also misses out the fact that even lenses with larger than needed image circles tend to have internal baffles to restrict the areas covered to a 35mm sensor size (cue square sensor discussions)

I've been following this particular meandering thread since 2006 at:
 http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon_medium_format_2ff.html] [url]http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon_medium_format_2ff.html[/url]

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »
hmm i doubt it.. why now? hasselblad have done this for a long time and canon never did anything about it..

i think someone is mistaking medium format with bigger MP resolution rumours..

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »
hmm i doubt it.. why now? hasselblad have done this for a long time and canon never did anything about it..

Because Hasselblad is just too expensive.... and the lenses are way too expensive. A medium format Canon that accepts more cheap EF lenses is a wise marketing move. Many pros that currently use FF bodies will be tempted to pay say 10k for a MF body and able to use  a big part of existing EF lenses in their arsenal.

I don't say that a MF Canon body will certainly appear... i only say that it's make sense.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:17 AM »

Because Hasselblad is just too expensive.... and the lenses are way too expensive. A medium format Canon that accepts more cheap EF lenses is a wise marketing move. Many pros that currently use FF bodies will be tempted to pay say 10k for a MF body and able to use  a big part of existing EF lenses in their arsenal.

I don't say that a MF Canon body will certainly appear... i only say that it's make sense.

they could have done it 2 years ago..

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
An EF mount?  Unlikely - Unless current EF lenses work in a "crop mode".  But this wouldn't be that bad.  Its an extra functionality.

EF Compatability?  Not a problem at all.  As long as the flange distance is significantly longer than 44mm, then you'd just need an adapter when using the medium format lenses with a DSLR or mirrorless camera. 

I've just read a few reviews of the Nex-7.  Am I the only one wondering why Canon didn't use it as the template for designing the EOS-M? 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
I want one! But only if it is no bigger / heavier than a 5D2.

Not gonna happen.  ;D

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:39:42 AM »
An EF mount?  Unlikely - Unless current EF lenses work in a "crop mode".  But this wouldn't be that bad.  Its an extra functionality.

yep that´s my idea too.
like the nikon DX crop mode.

that would be nice.
im to lazy to check and do the math right now.. but how many MP would a usual MF sensor have when the FF crop mode is around 22MP?

i think it´s 44 MP for a MF then..right?

so could the rumored 40+ MP canon camera be a medium format camera?
using the same sensor tech as the current 5D MK3 but with a twice as large sensor?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:47:40 AM by Canon-F1 »
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

RMuzzy

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
Canon could do this using existing lenses by incorporating a high quality optical adapter into the camera design, similar to that in Hasselblad's PC-mutar.  This would increase the coverage and focal length of any lens, however it would mean less light reaches any given part of the sensor.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:40 AM »
But would the TS-E's work without the adapter?  It would fit into the timeline of them coming out with the new 45mm & 90mm TS-E, doesn't it?

They would need to come out with a new 50mm f/1.2 and 85mm f/1.2 (unless the existing ones can work without a lens adapter.  I think the people interested in buying this camera would be able to afford a new lens to get the best performance possible.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 11:39:09 AM »
I'd be rather surprised to see Canon go to medium format, especially considering how the 5DIII already is significantly superior to medium format film and has eaten that part of the market alive.

If they do, I would expect it to be something akin to the Cinema line and a clean break with the EOS line. And priced accordingly.

The bit about the original source of this rumor mistraking marketing speak for "medium format quality in an EOS body" as "a medium format body with an EOS mount" by far makes the most sense to me.

Cheers,

b&

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »
I just can't imagine this all coming together in non-EF format. So they'd have production lines running to get all their EF-M stuff out (due in October), not to mention maybe a pro system. They also have to produce all of their current lineup (T3, T2i/T3i/T4i, 60D or replacement, 7D, 5DII or replacement, 5dIII, and the 1DX)...plus a whole new line of cinema cameras that they've yet to deliver (with new lenses for that as well)...plus a few lenses they announced a year ago that aren't out yet, and others that have no stock.

Where would they possibly have room for a whole other camera system, especially one that might abandon the EF mount, or would be a major departure from their normal path? I can see a 40mp EF camera, no doubt...but not a whole new system.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
I find it highly unlikely unless an entire new suite of lenses were being released.  I wouldn't trust any EF lenses mounted to a MF sensor and I don't think people buying this type of camera would either, just doesn't make sense.  I agree this is probably the high MP body and it will be advertised as having MF resolution, not much different from the spin on the D800.

Canon just doesn't seem that aggressive to me, look how safe they played it with their mirrorless camera.  Now, I for one would welcome a Canon MF mirrorless, it wouldn't need to shoot at a fast fps rate (none of the MF bodies do) it would simply need to be a no holds barred IQ/resolution monster in a reasonably compact package.  That would shake things up in this industry unlike anything seen in recent years.  Honestly, I don't see it happening, but my candle is still lit for a FF mirrorless from Canon, they might have the stones to give that a try but I'm not holding my breath.
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »
Where would they possibly have room for a whole other camera system, especially one that might abandon the EF mount, or would be a major departure from their normal path? I can see a 40mp EF camera, no doubt...but not a whole new system.

what is the problem?
you think they can not expand the production capacity?
companys do that all the time.

if you mean room in the lineup.
well there is room for medium format.
there is enough room at the top.

that canon plays safe in the DSLR biz does not mean they can´t experiment in other areas.
the cinema systems shows that.

i would love to see a MF system from canon.. thought i don´t have much hope they will do it.

The EOS cinema line was produced because of the tremendous success Canon enjoyed in the VDSLR market, they have plenty of sales and market research to justify the investment into EOS Cinema and it cost them relatively little to add video to their EOS bodies to test that theory.  MF is still very much a small niche and there's no evidence that people would be willing to upgrade to a far more expensive camera/lens system, enthusiasts like us aside.  Expanding production capacity is not trivial, we're talking hundreds of millions of dollars and Canon just ain't that bold, they would need solid proof that they could turn a decent profit so someone will need to do it first. 

I'd love to see a more affordable MF body myself, but this is Canon we're talking about here.  :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:08:03 PM by Stone »
5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »