April 20, 2014, 06:20:32 AM

Author Topic: Canon to announce medium format dslr?  (Read 14525 times)

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
Re: Canon to announce medium format dslr?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »

Would be nice to be able to shoot at 12800 ISO without noise  ;D

I'm in

there are noise even at 100 iso, so you probably have no chance to see a camera produce an image without noise unless it is a camera making by aliens...  :)

Will be alot of green dot instead ;D ;D ;D

A simle wish I have for Canon is FF mirrorless body, that didn't happen.  AND NOW MF body coming soon???? u guys funny
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:26 PM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
all i can say is -

you will be AMAZED how many medium format cameras got sold to "Non Photography Professionals"

You're right.  I'm one of them.  I've been playing around with Mamiya medium format cameras since the mid 90's.  Yet I've never sold a photo or made any money professionally.  I just like taking photos and until recently medium format film has been the optimal choice for me (I lack the interest and patience of 8x10 or bigger.)  But I think there's a difference between spending a few thousand on a camera versus tens of thousands. 

My 2c, if they make an excellent camera and keep the cost of a reasonable system (body and a couple of lenses) under $10k, there will be a lot of interest.  Over that price, they'll quickly lose a lot of enthusiasm.  Those that are left are probably already looking at Hasselblads.  Probably the Ferrari edition to match their car.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Neeneko

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
I am rather surprised so many people are commenting about how 'silly' the idea of putting an EF lens on a MF camera is.....

I see people using Nikon FF lenses on MF view cameras fairly regularly....

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
You're right.  I'm one of them.  I've been playing around with Mamiya medium format cameras since the mid 90's.  Yet I've never sold a photo or made any money professionally.  I just like taking photos and until recently medium format film has been the optimal choice for me (I lack the interest and patience of 8x10 or bigger.)  But I think there's a difference between spending a few thousand on a camera versus tens of thousands. 

Me too. Click my sig for (half of) the MF lenses I own (since I took the photo i've bought an(other) P6, a Kiev60, an(other) Zodiak 30mm fisheye, an(other) MC Flek 50/4, an MC Volna 80/2.8, an MC Biometar 120/2.8, an(other) MC Sonnar 180/2.8, an MC Sonnar 300/4, and for the hell of it, a P67 Takumar 300/4.

It started out as just a cheap way to use MF lenses as Tilt/Shifts on my 7D, then it kind of grew into its own obsession. And if I ever move to Mamiya 645 (which I was going to do soon but instead I blew my money on those MC Zeisses), they'll all adapt (and then when I win the lottery i'll get a digital back for it).

I know it'll never happen, but an EF-mount MILC with proper 44mm flange distance and no mirror, and a sensor maybe 40x30mm is highly possible, add in Hybrid Sensor AF and IS and it'll beat almost every current MF system for everything but IQ (well, maybe IQ, but hey, this is canon with their dirty read-noise ADCs we're talking about here).

Just consider image-circles for comparison:
24x36mm, image circle is 43.3mm.
30x40mm, image circle is 50mm.
30x45mm (Leica S2 size), image circle is 54mm
33x44mm (Leaf Credo 40 size), circle is 55mm.
Blow a FF sensor up to Leaf Credo 40 or Leica S2 size, and you're only pushing each corner 6mm out further from the centre, if even that.

So yes, some lenses (that already vignette heavily on FF) won't be too useful, and EF-s is just out.
But there's a lot that don't.
Check out the vignetting results at TDP, set the aperture to f/4 or so, and notice how a lot are only 1/3 stop or less at FF corners, blow that out only 6mm wider at each corner, you'd be less than 1-stop vignetting on a 33x44mm sensor. Like the TS-Es and 8-15 as already said. How about the 100 LIS or 180L Macros? Even the 50/1.2L at f/4 looks like it'll cover 55mm image circle easily, with no more vignetting than wide-open on FF. It sure beats an EF-s 15-85 at 15mm at any aperture on APS-C.
Yes, I'm only looking stopped down. But you don't run an MF lens at f/1.2. Hell, the fastest MF lenses ever (mass) produced were f/1.8-2.0, and most primes were f/2.8, zooms are f/4 or slower.

Don't say it can't happen.
Because it can.
Technically at least.
We know that it's Canon, and they probably won't, but that's a different argument.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Wideopen

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 10:49:25 PM »

Would be nice to be able to shoot at 12800 ISO without noise  ;D

I'm in

+1 same here

XanuFoto

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »
It will sell for base price USD 7000. With kit lense for 8000. :)

iMagic

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
I have no experience in MF world, but doesnt Hartblei have some mechanism that allows EF lenses on MF cameras?

http://www.hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam1.htm

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
I have no experience in MF world, but doesnt Hartblei have some mechanism that allows EF lenses on MF cameras?

http://www.hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam1.htm

Yep, what's being discussed is pretty much a Hartblei Hcam... except it would have an integrated sensor like a normal mirrorless camera, probably with Hyrbid AF like the EOS M, so AF and IS would work (which they don't on the HCam).
The Hartblei is about $8k (without a digital back), I don't see any potential Canon version being much cheaper.
Gear Photos

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:24 PM »
Hmmm, how about a Canon Medium format system with a removable back and adaptor for Hasselblad bodies which consists of 2 x 1Dx sensors.

Hasselblad is a Closed System, their backs are the only onrs thay will work with the H3 or H4 bodies. They can't use Phase One, Leaf or Sinar backs

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »
Hmmm, how about a Canon Medium format system with a removable back and adaptor for Hasselblad bodies which consists of 2 x 1Dx sensors.

Hasselblad is a Closed System, their backs are the only onrs thay will work with the H3 or H4 bodies. They can't use Phase One, Leaf or Sinar backs

True, the H3 and H4 (and I think the H2F) can't take 3rd-party backs (nor film backs, which is annoying to some pros i've heard).

Except for the new H4X, can take any leafmiyaone back like the H1 and H2. Maybe the H4X is Hassy's way of saying, "our backs aren't that good, please don't swap systems, you can use someone else's backs just please keep buying our glass"?
Gear Photos

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »

the overall package from canon could be enough for many professionals to choose a MF canon over a mamiya or hasselblad.

The two things Canon lacks is high quality Fuji (Hasselblad) and Schnieder (Phas One and Mamiya) lenses and also the high quality sensors used by Hasselblad, Leaf and Phase One backs. Plus can Canon match Hasselblad's Phocus and Phase One's Capture One software?

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »
all i can say is -

you will be AMAZED how many medium format cameras got sold to "Non Photography Professionals"

- think of it this way - are those who bought Lambos, Ferraris, Vipers, Corvettes - race car drivers?

- Im not going to hold my breath if canon makes MF or not - i got my share of MF cameras and digital backs.

but to say one camera manufacturer over the other will not make one camera system over the other system...
try asking surgeons, lawyers and high end professionals who are into photography - most of them got one :)

... because they can.

Got that right!!!

Doctors and Lawters also buy a lot of Big White lrnses. There is a Doctor, who I see from time-to-time, who shoots Surfing with Three 1D bodies and Three Big Whites. I haven't seen him recently, but my guess is that he's replaced the 1D s with 1DX s :)

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »
I am rather surprised so many people are commenting about how 'silly' the idea of putting an EF lens on a MF camera is.....

I see people using Nikon FF lenses on MF view cameras fairly regularly....

Until recently Nikon MADE lenses for 4x5 and 8x10. They also made lenses for one of the Japanese Medium Format cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »

True, the H3 and H4 (and I think the H2F) can't take 3rd-party backs (nor film backs, which is annoying to some pros i've heard).

Except for the new H4X, can take any leafmiyaone back like the H1 and H2. Maybe the H4X is Hassy's way of saying, "our backs aren't that good, please don't swap systems, you can use someone else's backs just please keep buying our glass"?

Quote from Hasselblad's site. http://www.hasselblad.com/H4x

"Give us your old H1/H2/H2F body and we’ll give you a brand new H4X, the super-charged offspring of the H1/H2, for just €3,995 excl. VAT. This special H4X offer is only available to H1/ H2/H2F owners and is not valid without a trade-in of a Hasselblad H1 or H2/H2F camera body."

Only available buy trading in your old H1/H2/H2F body. Sounds more like they don't want people with Leaf, Phase One, Sinar or Jenoptic, etc backs replacing their H1/H2/H2F bodies with Mamiya or Phase One bodies.

Menace

• 1D Mark IV
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
Canon could release a new mount / lens system for the MF body and an adaptor for EF lenses possibly in a cropped mode.

However, we'll have four mount - EFs, EF, M and MF. That's a lot of investment in production lines but if Canon can pull off MF it will certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons i.e. Nikon & Sony  :)
5D III | 6D
50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »