November 25, 2014, 08:55:35 PM

Author Topic: Entry Level FF with 1D X or 5D MK3 Sensor  (Read 2423 times)

Freelancer

Entry Level FF with 1D X or 5D MK3 Sensor
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
i wonder if an entry level FF from canon would come with the 1D X sensor or the 5D MK3 sensor.

i guess they will not make a new sensor for it?!

if the 1D X sensor is not significantly better, would it make not more sense to use this sensor for an entry level FF?
even when the high iso performance is better, it will sure be crippled via firmware to 12800 or 25.600.

and 18 MP will differentiate it from the 22 MP 5D MK3 sensor.
beside the AF that will sure be less effectiv, that´s another way to differentiate both.

it seems everyone thinks such an entry level FF will get the 5D MK3 sensor.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:12:32 AM by Freelancer »

canon rumors FORUM

Entry Level FF with 1D X or 5D MK3 Sensor
« on: August 06, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »

ageha

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Entry Level FF with 1D X or 5D MK3 Sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:37 AM »
Why not using the 5D Mark II sensor for it?

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
Usually sensors are matched to chips like computers, if there is a miss match there will be issues. However. the logic of a 1dx sensor that has a chip with less fps and iso capability prob could be done. Didn't Nikon at least at one point before the 3dx have all 12mp sensor cameras no matter the model?
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

ageha

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »
Usually sensors are matched to chips like computers, if there is a miss match there will be issues. However. the logic of a 1dx sensor that has a chip with less fps and iso capability prob could be done. Didn't Nikon at least at one point before the 3dx have all 12mp sensor cameras no matter the model?
All they need is a different firmware.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
I don't disagree but then sensors are tailored for certain types of photography. On another note i did mention how Nikon was all 12mp for years no matter the camera until the d3x came out. Their sensors were probably more standardized for all types of shooting whereas the d3x was a major jump in definition and sharpness.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

ageha

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:35 PM »
I don't disagree but then sensors are tailored for certain types of photography. On another note i did mention how Nikon was all 12mp for years no matter the camera until the d3x came out. Their sensors were probably more standardized for all types of shooting whereas the d3x was a major jump in definition and sharpness.
I think this tailoring theory is a myth. ;) Till the D3X came out Nikon had only 2 full-frame DSLR with their 12.1MP sensor (D3 and D700). The D3S came out later.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »
Possibly use the 1dx sensors that are not the best? Creme the god ones for 1dx and the others that don't make the cut go to the el cheapo
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »

Octavian

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:59:15 AM »
Maybe they will simply update the MkII hardware alongside the existing MkII sensor?
after all it has good performance at given ISO but IMO it needs the following updates as I tried to use one last weekend and I know my 550D inside out.

• New up to date rear screen

New UI - Currently switching to function for long exposure i.e. Bulb etc was a little confusing and it didnt seem to show a count in seconds as to how long it was on.

They might re arrange some buttons to give it a familiar feel to the MKIII layout.

They keep the weather sealing the same as the current MkII

And keep the price the same.

Just my 2c
nick

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
They won't give the new camera the 1Dx sensor. Canon won't make that mistake twice. *cough 1Ds3 *Cough. :-X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »