Rumors > Lenses

What other lenses for my 60D

(1/5) > >>

cinq1:
Helle guys,

Julien from paris.

i have a canon 60D since 4 months now, i love it.

So far, i have a sigma 8-16mm, canon 100mm macro L, and a 30mm F1.4 sigma.

I would like to have a lens that i can use most of the time, i quiet like street photography.

So, i wonder, should i take,

Sigma 17-50 OS HSM F2.8 ?
canon 17-55 F2.8 ?
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC or not VC ?

one day, i will go i think on full frame, so instead of those lenses, maybe i should think about the red ring?

What about to change the sigma 30mm for a sigma 50mm F1.4 ? if i take some thing in between 15-55mm ?

Thank you for your help.

daniemare:
I am also considering that focul range to add to my kit as a walk around lens.

I will through in the Tokina 16-50mm F2.8.  Less common and without IS not that straight forward of a choice.  But if you have used an Tokina ATX Pro lens you can't ignore the build and feel of these lenses.

My problem with the Canon is its price.  You can add some decent filters (ND, Polarizer) to your kit and still be left with some change if you go for any of the 3rd party option.

So I am looking forward to people's suggestions, especially on the IS importance

For full frame, when is the question.  On  a crop body, I am certainly looking for hat 16/17mm wide end, and for street, zoom is important.  So if you are not upgrading within the foreseable future, stick with one of these choices, and sell them when the time comes. You do not want to feel short changed at the wide end while you want to take pictures NOW

ronderick:
My 2 cents. (I'm not familiar with the 3rd party lens, so I'll leave that to others...)

With a 1.6x crop body, your choices would be slightly bit different from those of an FF body. Buying a 24-105mm f/4 would work if you are considering the switch to FF later on, but in the mean time you'll have a "missing link" between ur 8-16 and this one.

Of course, you also have the option buying the L lens at the time you switch to the FF system. Who knows, maybe you'll see a 24-105mm successor couple years down the road by the time you do it. 8)

Since you've already mentioned the 17-55 f/2.8, I'll just add two more from the EF-S lineup that would work as possible choices for walk-about lens: the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 and 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6. The good thing is all these models have IS, so you don't have to worry about that.

Basically:

Affordable - 18-135mm> 15-85mm> 17-55mm
Reach - (you'll have to decide here; 18-135 has the longest range, while 15-85mm is the widest out of the 3)
Speed - 17-55mm >>>> 15-85mm/18-135mm

As for picture quality, you might have to ask people who actually owns the lens, but I think it's safe to assume that 18-135mm will be at a disadvantage when compared to the other 2.

Another note is that 18-135mm lacks USM among the 3. With USM, you'll have less noise and faster focusing time.

PS: If you are really considering to buy a lens that would work now and at the time you move to FF, the choice IMHO would be 17-40 f/4L. The UW lens could work as a standard zoom if push comes to shove (roughly  27- 64mm equivalent for the 60D). But you won't have the IS, so that should be taken into consideration.

Osiris30:

--- Quote from: cinq1 on April 12, 2011, 11:51:38 AM ---Helle guys,

Julien from paris.

i have a canon 60D since 4 months now, i love it.

So far, i have a sigma 8-16mm, canon 100mm macro L, and a 30mm F1.4 sigma.

I would like to have a lens that i can use most of the time, i quiet like street photography.

So, i wonder, should i take,

Sigma 17-50 OS HSM F2.8 ?
canon 17-55 F2.8 ?
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC or not VC ?

one day, i will go i think on full frame, so instead of those lenses, maybe i should think about the red ring?

What about to change the sigma 30mm for a sigma 50mm F1.4 ? if i take some thing in between 15-55mm ?

Thank you for your help.

--- End quote ---

I'm personally used the Canon and Tamron (non-vc) options.  The Tamron wins hands down in terms of price performance.  For the price, I found the Canon disappointing.  The only thing I thought it did better than the Tamron was be quieter focusing.  That said, my Tammy 28-75 2.8 is my favorite lens.  I have the Canon kit lens to cover 18-28 if I need it (where the little kit lens is at it's best), after that the Tammy takes over and is fantastic, before yielding to the 85 1.8. 

Oh and the Tamron has a bit worse CA than the Canon (in the interest of fairness), but it's easily cleaned up by LR3.

martinelliminimo:
i have a tamron 17-50mm VC for my 7D.  The lens frickin rocks!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version