September 19, 2014, 08:10:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0 Available for Download  (Read 24574 times)

colin1984

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0 Available for Download
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »
Neither on Canon.at or Canon.de the Firware is available for Windows only for Mac  :( so i just downloaded the canon.us Firmware hopefully it will work :-)
EOS 7D
EF 24-70 2,8
EX 270

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:57 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 10:10:21 AM »
Cheers marek

Not seeing the first two in camera images here.

May I ask, was your version of DPP an exsisting version or did you have to update?

Many thanks

liv_img

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »
I like how Canon has a middle finger up to all the 1D IV buyers, the 7D get's a major 2.0 firmware update
and 1D IV is still at 1.1.1

Granted the 1D IV works great but 1D IV was announced later than the 7D an now it is already discontinued
from production with no new improvements in the firmware.

If you ask Canon they probably won't admit 1D IV ever existed and laugh at whoever bought it.

Absolutely true.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
Cheers marek

Not seeing the first two in camera images here.

May I ask, was your version of DPP an exsisting version or did you have to update?

Many thanks

Yes, I wanted to make it quick (as I have sth else to do right now) and hoped there won't be differences between camera and DPP processing. Comparison I saw on site after having put the files and was surprised what I saw. There are differences, so I removed the files, repeated the process and achieved the same results!
Now I'm really upset because I think I make some mistake because I don't believe there is so much difference!
What I see is also some difference in color tone. I observed now an error in DPP - no matter what picture style setting you set, you will also see "Standard" in File Information as well in CR2 as in JPG :)

The lens used was 70-200 F4 L IS, so with full support for DLO, peripheral and distortion. After applying distortion correction in camera, the picture looks quite different and seems to be more cropped. Now I need to repeat it using some other test object.

DPP 3.11.31.0 on Mac, 7D with firmware 2.0.0. Shot in RAW.

I think it needs some deeper examination, what exactly goes on in a camera and how it corresponds to settings in DPP. I feel now like guys, who found out, that neutrinos are faster than light :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:52:03 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Ew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 10:30:03 AM »
I didn't say that.  I said a visual reference alone was pretty much worthless. .../... Get a reference peak tone from your sound mixer.  .../...It would be jolly lovely to have live VU's on the camera back, but they aren't an indication of the quality of the audio, only the strength of the signal. .../... If you are serious enough to care about any of this then I cannot accept that you would not want a way of hearing what your microphone and mixer is hearing.

Still don't agree. First of all, I have 15 years of experience recording concerts, so I am aware of what the IDEAL setup should be. But we're talking about all those events where you can't get a line from a mixing-console and you're working with an external mic, like the Rode stereo video mic. In that case, being able to monitor the audio level is a MUST. Sure, you can't judge the quality of the sound by looking at the dB meters, but at least you can make sure it doesn't clip, which means distortion, which in turn means NO QUALITY at all. So even with the ability of AGC being turned off, there is still a great risk of clipping, unless you can actually see on the screen what the audio levels are doing. So, I'd turn it around. 5% for being able to turn off AGC (with AGC on there is actually less chance of audio clipping) and 95% for being able to view the audio levels on screen.

Agreed.

The AD converters on any of these bodies (7D, 5D included) are pretty much below what you would be getting from a rebel line kit lens 10 years ago (analogy here !) - and usable really for post sync reference.

As mentioned earlier, the Zoom is a good way to start, running the out mon into the line in on the camera. Even better, run some Sankin lavs through a lectrlsonic radio system to the Zoom (or other recorded), and maybe a senheiser 416 shotgun (short) on a boom - which again can be either on phantom from the zoom, or powered via wireless plugon.

On screen levels Are a great addition, monitoring would be even better - isn't there an ML option to monitor on the 5D through USB - alas Canon won't give this to us on the 7D.

Either way - gotta approach the sound part same as the optics - and the good stuff costs $$$. Unless of course you are happy with the Rebel kit lens in all situations.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:33:33 AM by Ew »
5D3 | 600D | EOSm | Samyang 8mm 3.8T | Samyang 14 2.8 | 17-40 | 28 1.8 | Sig 35 1.4 | 40 | 50 1.4 | 100 2.0 | 135 L | 70-200 4L IS + x1.4mk2 | Nippon Kogaku 50 1.4 (1965) | Nikkor 43-86 (mid 1970s) | M: 22

paul13walnut5

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:59:40 AM »
The audio has been on a par with what i've been getting from digi's and dvcams for years.  For my purposes (interview dialogue and ambient) it's entirely adequate.   I use a k6/me66 mainly with G3 ew112's occassionaly.

The pre-amps are horrific, but the mics I'm using are hot enough to keep them low, the AGC disable feature on the beachtek was a practical work around, but I'm delighted to finally be able to set audio in camera on the 7D.

I've been using my T3i more and more for video, the 7D is at last catching up (and has intermediate ISO's)

Whilst I agree that you only going to record crap with crap lenses and crap audio gear, I can't get too upset about any audio codec shortcomings when the picture is MP4...

On bigger jobs we'll have a dedicated sound op with their own recorder, and we won't be shooting on a DSLR.

For the run and gun single op stuff that makes up most of my work, DSLRs with all their intrinsic caveats are up to the job.

Live VU's would be lovely (deja vu) but they alone will not solve the 7D's physical shortcomings.

A zoom might but it's double the files to synch, and extra device to charge, carry and hit record on (the beachtek bolts on to the bottom of the camera) different hammers for different nuts.

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
There's been an updated manual for the 7D out for about a month online from Canon. It addresses a couple issues I've seen posted about here:

The new stills raw-processor and ratings-feature don't work on stills taken prior to the update. Rating won't work on videos prior to update.

Updated 7D Manual P. 191: You cannot process the RAW images or resize JPEG images shot when the firmware version was 1.x.x with the camera updated to version 2.x.x.

I think it needs some deeper examination, what exactly goes on in a camera and how it corresponds to settings in DPP. I feel now like guys, who found out, that neutrinos are faster than light.

Updated 7D Manual P. 196: Processing RAW images in the camera will not produce the same results as processing RAW images with Digital Photo Professional.

I'll be downloading & installing when I get home tonight. And checking the revised manual for more "gotchas" like this!
:)

BTW - the revised manual has this on the cover page:
This manual is for the EOS 7D installed with firmware version 2.0.0 or later.
Canon 7D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »
There's been an updated manual for the 7D out for about a month online from Canon. It addresses a couple issues I've seen posted about here:

The new stills raw-processor and ratings-feature don't work on stills taken prior to the update. Rating won't work on videos prior to update.

Updated 7D Manual P. 191: You cannot process the RAW images or resize JPEG images shot when the firmware version was 1.x.x with the camera updated to version 2.x.x.

I think it needs some deeper examination, what exactly goes on in a camera and how it corresponds to settings in DPP. I feel now like guys, who found out, that neutrinos are faster than light.

Updated 7D Manual P. 196: Processing RAW images in the camera will not produce the same results as processing RAW images with Digital Photo Professional.

I'll be downloading & installing when I get home tonight. And checking the revised manual for more "gotchas" like this!
:)

BTW - the revised manual has this on the cover page:
This manual is for the EOS 7D installed with firmware version 2.0.0 or later.

Who'd ever care reading manuals :D Seriously I didn't care because I thought my 7d would be sold until 2.0 firmware is ready and out. Thanks for mentioning that there should be a difference, what I happily  managed to see with my own eyes :)
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Rockets95

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Hello, has anyone had the opertunity to use the GPS module? I have had mine for months, and it's my main reason for wanting this update. Go, figure I would be away without access to my computer.

Thanks
I have a related question. Will this firmware update support any of the non-Canon GPS loggers?
7D, WFT-E5A, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II, 24-105 F/4.0L, 10-22 F/3.5-4.5, 580EX-II, Wife has: 5D2, 70-200 4.0L IS, 100 2.8L IS macro, 24-105 F/4.0L IS, 17-40 F/4.0L

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
Today i had upgraded my 7D firmware.... Good i missed that extra buffer when i was shooting fast moving action.

This upgrade have a dark side two .... no 7DMk2 this year... :(((

totoreco

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2012, 12:08:05 PM »
Anyone use the pocketwizards control with this update? Could you share your tought? Thanks
5DIII, EF 16-35 L2, EF 24-70 L2, EF 70-200 L2, EF 85 L2, EF 50 1.4, SIGMA 50 A, EF 40 STM

HeavenHell

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Has anyone tried using Focal after the upgrade?
Canon T2i, 7D, 5DM3
24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 85 f1.8, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 50 f/1.4, 17-55 f/2.8, Tamron 90 f/2.8, 70-300 L

FatDaddyJones

• Rebel T5i
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
Unless I really missed something here, this is false advertising. (Screenshot taken from the Canon website - the red lines and arrow my own.)

Maybe someone will correct me and tell me that you really can manually adjust the audio "during video shooting and during review," and not just before the record button is pushed. I would love to stand corrected.

5D Mark III, 7D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 17-55mm IS USM, Redrock shoulder rig, matte box & follow focus, Rode Videomic, Zoom R16, Sure PG42, DSTE Pro BG-E11, Excella Neo D400 Studio Strobes, Excella Stardust 50, 580 EX II, lots of other fun stu

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

Wideopen

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »
 ;D 25 raw burst.

tdabs

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 02:34:37 PM »
MY CONTINIOUS SHOOTING WENT DOWN FROM 15 SHOTS DOWN TO 3 SHOT...  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2012, 02:34:37 PM »