October 30, 2014, 09:55:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0 Available for Download  (Read 25313 times)

Beek

Re: Canon EOS 7D Firmware 2.0 Available for Download
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
MY CONTINIOUS SHOOTING WENT DOWN FROM 15 SHOTS DOWN TO 3 SHOT...  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Format your CF-card and try again.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »

tdabs

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 04:02:59 PM »
MY CONTINIOUS SHOOTING WENT DOWN FROM 15 SHOTS DOWN TO 3 SHOT...  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

i did..  i format it on cam and on pc ... i also tried to reload the firmware.. clear all camera settings and i still only get 3 SHots on the buffer this is only on manual mode/av/tv but on my custom settings c1/c2/c3  my buffer is 22-23 shots...

jmalmsten

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »
I'm sorry that my notes started a whole discussion about how to record audio the right way... :)

What I was getting at was that:

1) no VU during video-recording. Of course, the audio-system on this little bugger leaves a lot to the imagination. And I do understand that it's sub-par compared to even a simple ZoomH1 (I own and use both one of those and a Zoom H4n for when Audio is critical). But while live-monitoring with headphones might be difficult to provide due to hardware (I don't know), the next best thing would be to see the audio meter while shooting so we can adjust it accordingly. Yes, it might be less clipping using AGC but the audio just sounds horrible as it's frantically adjusting the gain. And that is next to impossible to fix in post. I think I'll keep it to manual and do a rough setting before I shoot. And basically hope for the best. It's hard to work like that, but the resulting audio will be better than with AGC. If audio is critical. I'll pull out my Zoom-recorders and just keep it being dual-system. With those I can monitor both with headphones and visually on the display.

2) The windcut filter is mentioned pretty heavily in the PR-materials leading up to the release of the firmware alongside the mentions of the manual gain control. Usually this is employed using a simple low-cut-filter and while it may work well with the internal mic (why we would ever accept that as a sound source), most of us will connect external microphones. And we'll load them up with real Wind-jammers (dead cats) if need be. So the windcut filter should be disable-ble... but I cannot find anything about this in the menus. Maybe the windcut filter is only on for the internal microphone? I don't know and we'll have to devise some test to find that out. Because,  if I want audio and I connect a good microphone with a good wind-jammer, I don't want the base-sounds to be cut off unnecessarily. So until we can assuredly say if the windcut-filter is on by default or not, It's a potential double-fail for Canon.

---

Now. Pulling rank or experience seldomly helps in a discussion. So who has more experience in what is rarely helpful. And we'll leave it at that.

---

Then we get to the notion of this camera being produced when video-DSLR's where an afterthought. Well, that may be. But Canon is actively ignoring the advancements that the Magic-Lantern crew has brought forth. Probably they have even actively worked against it. And this is extremely frustrating because we all know what is possible. They do too. But under the pretense of not wanting to cannibalize the video-divisions they won't unlock all that power.

So that's the main point of frustration, at least for me. They are doing the very, very least they can to keep the video-shooters happy. Knowing fully well that if they wanted to, they could blow our minds with their very own MagicLantern. The camera is a stills-camera first and foremost. They have made that abundantly clear. But it's just so narrow-minded in the long-run.

I feel I'm slipping into rant-mode. So I'll just stop it right here :)

Beek

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »

i did..  i format it on cam and on pc ... i also tried to reload the firmware.. clear all camera settings and i still only get 3 SHots on the buffer this is only on manual mode/av/tv but on my custom settings c1/c2/c3  my buffer is 22-23 shots...

But the c1/c2/c3 settings are 'saved Av/Tv settings'. So what you are saying is that if you have the camera set to Av- or Tv- you will get 3 shots and if you store the setting to c(n) you will get 22-23 shots?

tdabs

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

But the c1/c2/c3 settings are 'saved Av/Tv settings'. So what you are saying is that if you have the camera set to Av- or Tv- you will get 3 shots and if you store the setting to c(n) you will get 22-23 shots?

yes... when i set it to M/AV or TV i only get 3... but when its set on C1/C2/or C3 I get 22-23

UngerPhotography

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
Buffer rate increase is insane. it depends on how much info is recorded, but testing it, I got anywhere from 23 shots to 29 shots before the buffer was full.

Some other cool features, but nothing I really need. Still very nice to get this big of an upgrade for free.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »

Change Servo AI to One Shoot.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »

tdabs

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »

tried that and still same..

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

tried that and still same..
ISO affects the count. What ISO did you used?

sumanrk152

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
Just did the update, I can see RAW buffer upto 20 and like the new features, checking the picture in different auto balance on screen is awesome

sumanrk152

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »

Did you try removing the battery from camera as they mentioned in instructions

Rockets95

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »
Buffer rate increase is insane. it depends on how much info is recorded, but testing it, I got anywhere from 23 shots to 29 shots before the buffer was full.

Some other cool features, but nothing I really need. Still very nice to get this big of an upgrade for free.

I just ripped off 30 shots from my lazyboy.
7D, WFT-E5A, 70-200 F/2.8L IS II, 24-105 F/4.0L, 10-22 F/3.5-4.5, 580EX-II, Wife has: 5D2, 70-200 4.0L IS, 100 2.8L IS macro, 24-105 F/4.0L IS, 17-40 F/4.0L

DB

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
Unless I really missed something here, this is false advertising. (Screenshot taken from the Canon website - the red lines and arrow my own.)

Maybe someone will correct me and tell me that you really can manually adjust the audio "during video shooting and during review," and not just before the record button is pushed. I would love to stand corrected.

During review simply means you can alter the playback volume with the main ring during playback. This was also the case with firmware version 1.2.5

In plain English; when you manually set the audio control prior to actual recording you have manually adjusted the audio recording level during the physical recording. It does not state 'WHILST' recording that you can manually adjust the recording level, just that it 'IS' manually adjusted during recording. If I set my audio levels to -20dB and then record, then I have manually adjusted the levels during video shooting (as opposed to using auto settings).

Canon are NOT guilty of false advertising at all, but perhaps they are guilty of semantics (or possibly of misleading people....marketers do this every day of the week).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
@Jmalmsten
The windcut filter is mentioned pretty heavily in the PR-materials leading up to the release of the firmware alongside the mentions of the manual gain control.

Can you point to an example?

totoreco

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »
Have you checked Silent Shooting Mode and Mirror Lockup and Drive Mode?
5DIII, EF 16-35 L2, EF 24-70 L2, EF 70-200 L2, EF 85 L2, EF 50 1.4, SIGMA 50 A, EF 40 STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2012, 09:49:55 PM »