September 22, 2014, 08:39:25 AM

Author Topic: Prediction for 200-400  (Read 4198 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Prediction for 200-400
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »
Thank you guys.

Emi best wishes for your migration trip. Let me know when you there as I may be there too! :)

Hi Sanj, I'm in Mala Mala South Africa from June 05th to 16th (Shooting Leopards again) from June 16th to July 05th Tanzania shooting the Migration (May be a little early but I am hoping the Mara River crossing is not so crowded), then July 06th to July 20th Iceland for some Landscape (Not my normal stuff, but I've seen so much great landscapes on this thread I felt I needed to give it a go). It would be interesting if we end up sitting in different vehicles, same day, Mara River crossing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrated with the delay in the 200-400
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 08:49:34 PM »
Hi RGF, there's a similar thread running "200-400 Predictions" so you may want to check that out. Copy of my comment on that thread.

"I was invited to a Canon/Cathay Photo Preview Session in Singapore in January this year (2013) purely about the 200-400f/4 (1.4x), We were able to play with production Lenses (According to the Canon People there these were Production Lenses), we could use our own cameras, but no Cards, on both my 1Dx & 5DMK3 Bodies this lens feels & looks the part, until we get to view Images we wont know for sure, but I feel it's at least as sharp as my 400f/2.8 V2 Lens, time will tell. Weight wise a fraction less than the 400f/2.8, maybe a few mm's shorter, it's not a small Lens, hand holdable if your reasonably adapt at holding the 400 V2.

Pre orders were taken at the Viewing by Cathay Photo, and an "estimated" delivery time was given of "Before June 2013", Since then I've heard nothing to detract from that statement, other than I have read a report that the Lens has been delayed due to "redesign requirements" apparently (I cant confirm this is real), there were reports after the London Olympics that the Flip switch for the 1.4x Converter was poorly placed in relation to the 1Dx Body/Controls on the Camera.

So, who knows, Canon are mind blowingly Obtuse on the matter, this Lens as we know has become the "Mythical Monster", I sincerely hope it will be this year, I have a Tanzania "Migration" shoot coming up in june/July for 4 weeks, I had hoped to have this Lens, I plan now on taking the 300/400 & 600 as I have no confidence Canon will have this Lens available by Mid this year, end of this year ?? Probably, I mean, Nikon have had a reasonable one for 10 Years."

So, it is becoming a frustrating experience waiting for Canon to pull the trigger on this Lens, I do believe we will have it this year, which must be 3 years since it was first "mentioned" by Canon as a Lens in development, the fact that Nikon have had a very good 200-400f/4 in Production for 10 Years, now on it's second Version, and is a big seller for Nikon with Wildlife shooters, seems to indicate that Canon management have been a little slow to the Party, but I think that's Par for the Course in Large Japanese Companies, they seem to get entrenched in a certain mind set & it becomes difficult to shift them. Having said that I spent a month last December in Japan travelling around & it's an amazingly beautiful place.

So, we wait, I have a pre Order in, looking forward to getting the Lens, it'll come I have no doubt, I believe this year, but I'm not planning on having it for my June/July trip to Africa, maybe for my Polar Bear trip to Svalbard in October, maybe.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »
A piece of gear that you may want to look at, I have 2 of these so I can set up my 400 & 600 ready to go, I always hire my own vehicle so I have the room. Only useful for east & South Africa as some places have the pop top roof vehicles (which I hate) and in those you need to have a good Bean Bag. On my Safari Rigs I use two Clamps on each Monopod for more stable set up, but these RRS Safari Rigs are excellent for Safari, clamp tp the hand bar right in front of your seat arrangement.

Available from RRS at about $700 with the Levelling base, I use L Plates on all my gear so I have the version that has the lever Clamp on top for ease of changing Rigs.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »
Thanks - hopefully you are correct and it will be out 2Q13, not 2Q14  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »