July 31, 2014, 07:41:19 PM

Author Topic: NAB Report - New DSLR Soon? [CR1]  (Read 8068 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
NAB Report - New DSLR Soon? [CR1]
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
[NL] and I may have been sent the same info about an upcoming DSLR announcement.

Apparently a new “pro” camera will be announced in the next month. One of the key features is said to be the very wanted continuous focus in video mode.

No word whether or not it’s a 1Ds or a 5D2 replacement.

CR’s Take I can’t imagine a 1Ds getting the top video features first. In my opinion the camera is too big, cumbersome and expensive for mass market video. A 5D3 would be more than capable of being the flagship video HDSLR.

The best information I have so far about the 1Ds replacement is it being a medium format competitor, to me that says minimal focus on video features.

My $0.02 anyway, and it doesn’t cost much more than that to change my mind.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

NAB Report - New DSLR Soon? [CR1]
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: NAB Report - New DSLR Soon? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
Canon has opened up their "Makers of Light" program to include video makers.  They seem serious about selling to the high end TV and movie cinemaphotographers.  I can certainly see them wanting all those pro's to be using a 1 series camera, and a 1 series FF is overdue.  Right now, the pros have been using 1D MK IV more and more while those with limited purses go for the 5D MK II or one of the fine 1.6 crop offerings available.

Justin

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 10:59:28 PM »
From the sound of it it could be the 1D5. Full frame. Dynamic cropper. Video galore. This would leave room for the 5D3 to come in below. And the real 1Ds successor to reach medium format territory.

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »
So...Canon chooses to announce a video-oriented pro DSLR a month *after* the biggest video show of the year?  I don't think so.

armando

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:36:53 AM »
So...Canon chooses to announce a video-oriented pro DSLR a month *after* the biggest video show of the year?  I don't think so.

hahaha :) right!

mreco99

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 04:47:21 AM »
look like someone might be forced to eat that "grain of salt the size of a bentley" with their chips after all eh? (See last CR0 report)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:15:53 AM by mreco99 »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:30:20 AM »
Canon has opened up their "Makers of Light" program to include video makers.  They seem serious about selling to the high end TV and movie cinemaphotographers.  I can certainly see them wanting all those pro's to be using a 1 series camera, and a 1 series FF is overdue.  Right now, the pros have been using 1D MK IV more and more while those with limited purses go for the 5D MK II or one of the fine 1.6 crop offerings available.

The number of "pros" is so minimal in the grand scheme of things. A 5D Mark III would outsell a video 1D 1000 to 1.

Even if they did make the 1D/1Ds the flagship video camera, people would just go and buy a video camera at $7000-$10,000. The draw to the 5D Mark II for video is the $2500 price tag.
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:30:20 AM »

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:51:56 AM »

exactly; it would only make sense if this was an earthquake-related delay

in any case, if they did, would it make sense if it was a 1Ds? yes, it would
think about this market for a second: for the fully budgeted feature films that are using them, they're buying 50 5D2 bodies with L glass (and all these expenses usually come under "consumables" in the budget)
they buy the ones with the best image quality, irrespective on price; right now, that means 5D2 (the colors on the 1D4 are much worse); if canon could triple their revenue from high-budget filmmakers by making a 1Ds with better image quality in video, it would at least consider it, right?
plus: is a 1D body too big for serious video? you surely haven't seen a film camera, or an arri alexa...

but then video autofocus would be totally uncalled for, so this whole thing sounds pretty doubious
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:53:27 AM by NormanBates »

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:01:27 AM »
Even if they did make the 1D/1Ds the flagship video camera, people would just go and buy a video camera at $7000-$10,000. The draw to the 5D Mark II for video is the $2500 price tag.

well, not quite...

it seems that the sensor on the 5D2 is much better than anything panasonic or sony could make at the moment; for example, Shane Hurlbut (ASC, big canon DSLR kool-aid maker, take with a grain of salt) said something to the tune of "canon has been making sensors for 20 years, the others are new to the game, the images just don't look the same, they can't compete quite yet"

and mind you: these are not people obsessed by resolution, but by dynamic range and things like "organic look", "color" and "falloff"

they do want the videocamera ergonomica (XLR inputs, SDI outputs, histogram, waveform, zebras, peaking, etc), but so far they've been happy exchanging all that for a better image

still: for me, yes, a sony F3 is out of my price range, and a 1Ds would be too; a 5D3 withoug aliasing/moire would be more than welcome

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:37:41 AM »
it seems that the sensor on the 5D2 is much better than anything panasonic or sony could make at the moment; for example, Shane Hurlbut (ASC, big canon DSLR kool-aid maker, take with a grain of salt) said something to the tune of "canon has been making sensors for 20 years, the others are new to the game, the images just don't look the same, they can't compete quite yet"

and mind you: these are not people obsessed by resolution, but by dynamic range and things like "organic look", "color" and "falloff"

they do want the videocamera ergonomica (XLR inputs, SDI outputs, histogram, waveform, zebras, peaking, etc), but so far they've been happy exchanging all that for a better image

still: for me, yes, a sony F3 is out of my price range, and a 1Ds would be too; a 5D3 withoug aliasing/moire would be more than welcome

That's probably all true too.

When comparing the next 1D and the next 5D, I would go with the assumption that their fullframe sensors would share the same characteristics for video applications. So gimping a 5D3 sensor in favour of a 1Ds video DSLR is not likely.  It's one of the reasons I can't see a 1Ds getting the same attention when it comes to video. I've been wrong before though.

Everyone can say they want this and that, but 4 out of 5 times, it comes down to how much something costs. The 5D Mark II became what it is because of price/performance ratio, as will its successor.

Now a fullframe 1D Mark V, that could switch things up a bit, but the 1Ds will be a studio stills first camera in every sense I predict.
canonrumors.com

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 07:32:12 AM »
My money would be on 5D over the 1D. Continuous AF is not a pro feature; it's more of a consumer/prosumer feature. The Rebel will have this on its next iteration. Most pros (or even hacks like me who want their videos to have a professional look), use manual focus. This will be a little-used gimmick in a 1D but a necessary feature in less expensive bodies to keep up with what Nikon and Sony are doing (both of whom already have this in their entry-level bodies).

I think this rumor lends credence to some older rumors about two DSLRs by the end of the year. I will be shocked if Canon waits past June/July to announce two new bodies out by the Fall, even if they won't be able to ramp up production to meet even a sliver of the demand. There's a lot of face-saving to do, a lot of national pride to recapture, and the teams working on these bodies are probably putting in long weeks right now. I wish it wasn't so, to be honest. I hate to think of all that corporate pressure on people who have already suffered enough. If Canon took their time, ironed out all wrinkles, fixed the QA problem they were having with new lenses, etc., I would be more than happy to wait for new bodies this time next year. I don't think this will be possible for them, but I wish it were.
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »
I can’t imagine a 1Ds getting the top video features first. In my opinion the camera is too big, cumbersome and expensive for mass market video. A 5D3 would be more than capable of being the flagship video HDSLR.

I believe that a more video-oriented FF DSLR (5D mkiii) is going to be announced very soon!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
Now that you've put a price on your mind ($0.02), why not put it up on ebay for auction to see if you can get people to pay more for you to change it? ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »

Bob Howland

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
I can’t imagine a 1Ds getting the top video features first. In my opinion the camera is too big, cumbersome and expensive for mass market video. A 5D3 would be more than capable of being the flagship video HDSLR.

I believe that a more video-oriented FF DSLR (5D mkiii) is going to be announced very soon!

Except that I don't think that it'll be a 5D3. Video doesn't require a lot of pixels but it does require good low-light imaging and lots of dynamic range. The Sony F65 only has 20MP but it does 120FPS and 16-bit images. The Red Epic only has 14MP but Red claims 13+stops of dynamic range. So does Canon use fewer pixels in the 5D3 than in the 5D2 or does it introduce a new model, heavily emphasizing video, and position the 5D3 as an even higher resolution still camera that still takes pretty good video? In this narrative, the 1D4 stays in the lineup as the sports-oriented crop camera, at least for a while.

I've been making this same prediction since last December. I wish Canon would just introduce something so I can know if I'm correct!

HughHowey

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • My Author Site
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »

Except that I don't think that it'll be a 5D3. Video doesn't require a lot of pixels but it does require good low-light imaging and lots of dynamic range. The Sony F65 only has 20MP but it does 120FPS and 16-bit images. The Red Epic only has 14MP but Red claims 13+stops of dynamic range. So does Canon use fewer pixels in the 5D3 than in the 5D2 or does it introduce a new model, heavily emphasizing video, and position the 5D3 as an even higher resolution still camera that still takes pretty good video? In this narrative, the 1D4 stays in the lineup as the sports-oriented crop camera, at least for a while.

I've been making this same prediction since last December. I wish Canon would just introduce something so I can know if I'm correct!

Man, I would LOVE it if they didn't bump the MP and instead gave us awesome DR and high ISO performance. I think the 12-14 MP range is ideal for most print sizes, and should allow huge improvement in both areas.

However, if they can go 28 MP and still deliver on the other two, I'm not gonna complain. :)

And damnit, I can't believe the amount of money I'm going to part with when the 5DIII comes out. I've held off on any L zooms just so I can get one of the kit options. Would be great if they upgraded one of them as well!
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »