December 22, 2014, 03:51:54 AM

Author Topic: First new episode of my Cooking Show with 5D3  (Read 1643 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
First new episode of my Cooking Show with 5D3
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »
Hello all,

I've been goofing around past year or so, doing a cooking show on youtube called:
CWI:Cooking While Intoxicated

Anyway, I've shot and edited my first full episode (there is a 1min test real I posted first just making a drink).....it was shot with my new 5D3 w/ kit 24-105 lens, edited with FCPX.

The opening camera angle is horrible, not sure why I did that...but what I'm most proud of, is the audio editing. Much of this was shot last Memorial Day, I'd had a few cocktails, and new camera ,etc.
I found that I'd forgotten to turn the darned microphone (Rode videomic) on for most of the first half of the video shot. Every scene that I'm not shown talking in...was dead silent.

I went back and set the camera up, recorded 'dead' room sound..then, ran the juicer with a cantelope...chopped the canteloup....every background sound was redone by me. I think I did pretty good, but there are a few places audio is off....but I had nothing original at all to work with.

Also,was my first  attempt at split screening, etc.

Anyway, I know I have a ways to go..but I'm learning:

Let me know what you think (if you have a fast connection, turn it up to full 1080p):

CWI: Cooking While Intoxicated - Pineapple Popsicle

Thanks,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

First new episode of my Cooking Show with 5D3
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
Re: First new episode of my Cooking Show with 5D3
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:32 PM »
Good stuff. I really like the edits and split screens. I think you could benefit from some diffused light sources, some of the details get lost in the shadows.  Also, for the shots of you, I think you could do with a higher camera angle. I think it would look better of it was more over the shoulder. I'm guessing you were limited by the height of the tri-pod.

The audio ended up great, very stellar.  I think post production sound is way underrated.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
Good stuff. I really like the edits and split screens. I think you could benefit from some diffused light sources, some of the details get lost in the shadows.  Also, for the shots of you, I think you could do with a higher camera angle. I think it would look better of it was more over the shoulder. I'm guessing you were limited by the height of the tri-pod.

The audio ended up great, very stellar.  I think post production sound is way underrated.

Thank you very much.
All of this is self shot...no one helping me. I do now have a NEW tripod, one that can go a good bit higher...it is a fluid head on it...so, will try to get some friends to help from time to time, so I can get some pans, etc.

I do have a light diffuser I got...but need to get a light source. For starting out DIY, I'm going to try to get some work lights at Lowe's...and see if I can use the diffuser with that...

Most of my stuff has been somewhat 'run and gun'...no real planning ahead...just thinking of shots as I go along, and how I'd edit them to try to looks somewhat like a multi-camera shoot...like filming my hand just grabbing things...and editing that in, etc.

I'll definitely try higher shots on me...and try to frame them to show less of my gut...till I lose this weight I've put in in last year....and will try to plan a bit ahead for next ones....work on getting exposure consistant through shots...maybe even try my hand at shooting with one of the cine styles...and then color grade everything in post....overkill I know, but a good way to learn is to do.

I'm still learning, but this sure is fun!!

Any other comments, suggestions greatly appreciated.

C

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »

I like the shirt  ;D
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »

I like the shirt  ;D

LOL..thanks.
A lot of this was shot on Memorial Day...when I fire up the smoker and cook all day. That usually turns out to be very messy business...so, I have a number of old cooking shirts I keep around for just these occasions.

I guess planning out ahead would be better....for wardrobe....that old cut up, polo button down shirt does make me look a bit like Larry the Cable Guys, doesn't it...?
 :o

Thanks,

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »