December 20, 2014, 01:17:35 AM

Author Topic: lens recommendations for a vacation  (Read 7325 times)

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: lens recommendations for a vacation
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »
Europe will consist of a lot of walking..so bare that in mind and the weight of the gears..
The last time i was there, i ended up leaving almost everything in the hotel because of the weight and walking about too much...

However, with almost anywhere in europe, architecture is the main attraction unless you like street photography...so a wide angel lens is essential..since 99% of my shots when i was there was done with a wide angle.
Leave the 70-200 at home, you will most certainly never use it.
I would bring a really fast prime for indoor shots (which you will use a lot of for all the museums, churches etc), but the 5d3 ISO is great so maybe even at f4 is enough...

Base on your kit..i would just bring the 14L and 24-105L...
24 might not be wide enough for some locations..and not fast enough indoors so the 14L will be great...but for most other shots, the 24-105 will be perfect for a walkabout in Europe...

Actually, the 24-105 is almost the perfect travel lens for FF cameras IMO..i use it ALOT while traveling...but not so much at home...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:41 AM »

bchernicoff

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
I'm in the same situation. I leave in a couple of weeks for Europe and am bringing my 50, 24-105, and 70-200 IS II. I'm considering leaving the 70-200 home because it's heavy and draws a lot of attention. People have discussed getting harassed in London for taking SLR pictures. Anyone have good or bad experiences they'd like to share? How about Copenhagen?
6D, Fuji X-T1, X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8,
Fuji 23mm 1.4, 35mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 14mm 2.8, 18-55, 55-200

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
I know, the least exciting type of post, but I would be very grateful for any advice on what to bring and what to leave behind.

This summer I had planned on going out with a pro-photographer, but he was unable to secure the permits in time. So, my wife and I are heading to Europe in a few weeks. We will be hitting London, France and Brussels.

My current kit:

5Dm3
24-105L
70-200L IS II
14L II
50L
100L IS

I will be carrying whatever kit I bring in a Lowepro Flipside 400AW.

I was thinking about taking the 50, the 70-200, 14, a monopod and one flash. The first two lenses are my favorite walk around combo. Any advice would be very welcome. Also: should I look into a second battery (I don't have a the optional grip)?

My $.02:

14L II, unless you are proficient at stitching photos.

The 70-200 leaves a pretty good gap between 14 and 70.

The 24-105 is f4, but the 5DIII has positive reviews at high ISO (I do not own a 5DIII)... so maybe it is a non-issue.

The only other wide apeture lens in your list is the 50L. You may need it for low-light shots... or maybe rent a 35L.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »
This is always a struggle, isn't it? And only you know what you use and how. I tend to take too much stuff ever since I moved to digital and try to get better and more specific. In the film days I used to be happy with my 50/135 combo or a general purpose zoom. And a set of filters. Films and batteries were available along the way usually.

I'm trying to go back to this - especially after just lugging my entire gear to a wedding in Europe in a Pelican roll-on case - just to find out that I would've been fine with 1 flash and 2 lenses really. Along those line: double and triple-check the airline regulations regarding carry-on size and weight(!). Especially the European carriers are getting pretty strict about this - at least on paper so far. I just used Delta and Jet Blue and they don't have a weight limit yet. And you certainly don't want to check camera gear I assume.

I'm going to New York for the weekend to just wander around a bit with my camera. I've decided to only bring the 50 and 135 again. In your case I would leave on the 50 and bring the 24-105 just in case. Or the 50 with the 100L if you do a lot of detail shots/macro. But that's my preferences as I'm not a big fan of running around with big white heavy zooms and don't need wider than 28mm really.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

PhotoBadger

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »
Don't forget it's summer here in England, so bring your waterproofs ;) Some ND grads would be a good call too.

Personally I like getting detail shots so the 70-200 would be on my list but of course it depends what you like shooting. And as others have commented, there's a LOT of walking to be done, so it's much better to have limited kit than to dread picking up the camera bag each day. "Would I be happy carrying this for 6 hours?" is a very good question to ask yourself when packing.

But certainly the 24-105 for walkaround, 14 for wideys if you like, and the 50 for low light should see you nicely.

Be prepared for historic buildings to prohibit flash, and some to bar photography altogether. Not such an issue in London, in my experience, but I've come across it a lot in other countries (lots in Spain for example). "If you want a picture, buy our postcards" sort of thing.

I'd take 3 batteries - one in the camera, one in the bag and one charging. It's dashed annoying to run out of juice in a great location, and I speak from sorry experience here.

Hope you have a great time.

IIIHobbs

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
The 14mm... can capture an amazing perspective if done well. We will spend a few days in the north of France, which is a beautiful place for landscape shots. My thought is to bust out the 14mm for that leg of the trip.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you and the 14mm.

Looking at the recommendations to pare down your gear, it seems that the Flipside may be too much bag for what you will be taking. I have a big bag that can handle all my gear (but for the 300 f2.8 8)), but for day trips and travel I use the Think Tank Speed Demon. It provides plenty of room to carry my camera, two lenses, flash and supporting accessories. They have two larger models available, but my goal was a case to travel light and compact with a specific venue in mind.

If you are taking the 5D3, 24-105, 50, 14, & Flash, the Think Tank Speed Freak (mid size) would carry all that and all the supporting accessories. It has the belt strap/shoulder strap option and rain cover in a very compact from. It is deep enough to fit your 70-200 (off the camera) should you bring that along instead of or as compliment to your other gear.

I like the comment "happy wife - happy life" . Traveling light will help you get it right.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:44:36 AM by IIIHobbs »

arcanej

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
Thank you for the advice all!

I am leaning towards the 24-105, the 50, the 14 and a flash for weight considerations.

IIIHobbs: I will check out the Speed Demon this weekend. I need to make a pit stop at B&H anyway.

7enderbender: I live in NYC and use a similar kit for walkaround (subbing the 70-200 as I don't have the 135) in a messenger Lowepro 180 AW. I really enjoy the combination (although I spend more time in the parks than I do taking architectural pictures in general).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »
The 14mm can be difficult to use - but it can capture an amazing perspective if done well. @lex on this forum has posted some amazing shots showing as much. We will spend a few days in the north of France, which is a beautiful place for landscape shots. My thought is to bust out the 14mm for that leg of the trip.

I'm really torn on whether I should bring the 24-105 or the 70-200.  The former is a much better general purpose focal range and lighter to boot, but I have more fun lugging around the later and it's a faster lens.

Thank you for the advice so far!

Dont quite know where in the North of France you expect good landscapes - a lot of it is very flat and boring

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
I'd take as little gear as possible >> so you can enjoy the trip as much as possible!

24-105 as all day walk around. 50 for indoors/ low light.

24 is wide on FF. 5DIII's ISO capability also makes your 24-105 pretty powerful even though it's "only" f/4.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

arcanej

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
Briansquib: much of it might be, but there are certain places I think are beautiful.

For example, pictures of Côte de Granit Rose:
https://www.google.com/search?q=C%C3%B4te+de+Granit+Rose&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=33W&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=n-gjUP-JEOaw0QH3kICAAw&ved=0CFAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=1127

Ah - that is western France.

I was only curious because I go over server times a year and not seen any good landscapes there - lots of good chateau though

arcanej

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice all! I ended up carrying too much equipment (14mm, 24-105mm, 50mm, 70-200mm, monopod, flash) but had a great time. On the plus side, carrying all that meant I burned more calories while walking around!Next time, I might just stick with the 24-105 and the 50 and leave everything else home.

I'm slowly uploading pics -- here's one from London. 

GS0C4585.jpg by Evan's Pix, on Flickr

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
I've learned to travel light and that no matter which lens I needed it was never on the camera.  Therefore I now
have a standard travel pack - body with a cushioned strap, two battery packs (no grip - too big, too heavy) charger, 35mm and 85mm lenses.  One on the camera, the other in my jacket pocket. Aside from not being
exhausted carrying gear I never use, it also forces me to compose mentally and consider the effects.  I feel I
get better images, and as a charter member of the zoom lenses encourage sloppiness brigade, I satisfied with
the ones I get.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
24-105 and 50mm prime or wider if you want. I would use a 279ex ii for flash since it's so small and light. I brought tons of gear I never used.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice all! I ended up carrying too much equipment (14mm, 24-105mm, 50mm, 70-200mm, monopod, flash) but had a great time. On the plus side, carrying all that meant I burned more calories while walking around!Next time, I might just stick with the 24-105 and the 50 and leave everything else home.

Wow, that's alot to carry around! I bet you almost never touched the 70-200 ya? haha.
My most recent trip last month to the USA, i ended up only bringing my 17-40 and 24-105 and it was more than enough. I didn't even bring any tripod or spare batts of filters or anything..
In fact, i only brought either one of the 2 lenses out..i'd leave the other in the hotel…i just plan where i'll be going for that day and what i'll be shooting and decide which lens to bring out for that day…comfortable and light..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »