December 21, 2014, 08:06:30 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?  (Read 20746 times)

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions and thoughts from either 7D owners or people probably in the same boat as me, who are unsure if they should upgrade to a 7D now or wait until after photokina, in case a new camera comes out?

I have a 500D now, however I've out grown it and looking for a more versatile camera.
Thanks for our comments!

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »

DB

Re: Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:19:26 PM »
I had a 550D and upgraded last September to a 7D and its a truly great camera. There is unlikely to be a 7D2 announcement until early-2013, especially with the recent release of firmware 2.0, so my advice would be to get a 7D now. If and when a newer model is announced, or even a budget FF camera, they will be priced close to $2k. A 7D today is great value at about €1,000 in Europe or $1,500 in USA and their residual values are so close to new retail prices (just look at how few 7D bodies are ever for re-sale, plus look at all the 5D3 & 1D camera owners that retain their 7D bodies). The 7D remains Canon's flagship for APS-C sized senors, so unless you're desperate for FF, it is a logical upgrade progression from a Rebel series.

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
I don't think you are going to see a replacement for the 7d in the next 12 months, and I would not be surprised if it was at least 2014 before what ever the replacement is will be shipped.  The recent firmware update probably gives canon another 12-18 months on the product life cycle. I am, however, by no means, an expert 

If it fits your needs and budget by it now. You won't be disappointed. If you buy used and take care of it I wouldn't be surprised you could resell it later for a small depreciation especially considering where canon has been taking pricing as of late. A replacement to the 7d will probably start at $2500 or higher.

Obviously if you are concerned about an imminent replacement wait till after photokina and see where the dust settles.

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
I'm in a 50D now and am sitting tight waiting for an upgrade.  I don't care about video but it's not a deal breaker if it's not in.  I expect an upgrade to the 60D soon and maybe the 7D.  I'm hoping for more megapixels, much better lowlight performance and, dare I dream, full frame?  If Canon can deliver that for $2,000 or even $2,500 I am in.  Got about $2.2k saved so if Canon doesn't announce something good I will save on towards a 5D mark III.  I still like my 50D,  I have been trying to "use it up" if you will and I think I may be getting a bit better.  May be it's those Lynda courses.  Anyway, the 60D and 7D are overdue for an upgrade so I would sit tight.
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

CharlieB

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
My own situation is similar.  Should I get the 7D or wait.  Hmm.

What I'll probably do:

Sit tight for now.  I know the 7d will do what I want/need it to do.  I want a companion for a 5dII.  What the 5dII has for me - use of better quality wide lenses primarily, I'll trade for increase FPS and a little better long end, as my longest lens is a 300/4USM and a 1.4TC.

If something new is really dynamite, I might swing for it.  Should it "replace" the 7D, which may be possible, I can always count on saving some $$$ on a 7D as the price drops.   I got my 5DII at a great B&H price drop along with 5DIII introduction.  Been wanting one... it does what I need it to do, even with its limitations.

I dont mind getting sun-setting equipment if it will do what I need and want of it.  I don't need the latest-greatest, so I'm content to wait and see on the 7D

iTasneem

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:28 AM »
7D is good but aged 3 yeats. If you buy it now you will blame yourself 2-6 months later when new products released.
Keep your 500D at lest a month and see what Canon will announce for Photokina (September 16)

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
It depends on what kind of photography you're interested in. If you're interested in birding and wildlife and you don't have a lot invested in lenses yet, I'd say switch to Nikon. For other types of photography, I'd think hard about something other than the 7D - like the full frame that's currently in the rumor list.
I've owned a 7D since they first came out and use it for wildlife. The good things about it, IMO, are solid construction, a lot of pro-sumer features like micro focus adjust and custom settings, a fairly quick frame rate, and a high pixel density. The bad things are poor performance at any ISO above 800 (maybe 1600 at most). The APS-C sensor is also less desirable for macro applications because you have to be farther away from your subject to get the same "frame-fill", which affects your bokeh.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »

mortadella

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:12:20 AM »
What has history taught us?

For a year or more leading up to the 5d3 this question was the dead horse that it seemed like everybody took a whack at, of course regarding whether or not to pull the trigger on a 5d2.

5d3 comes out and you can basically get two 5d2s (Holiday season 2011 prices $1899 new) for the price of a 5d3.  Had we all known that the price difference would have been so dramatic a lot of people would have had their xmas family portraits taken on a 5d2 instead of a xxxD or been out shooting with their 5d2s instead of on the forum seeking advice.

There is no question the 5d3 is a great camera and satisfies a lot of what the 5d2 leaves to be desired.  But if you bought a 5d2 that price difference just doesnt make you feel bad about your decision. 

Will we see history repeat itself?

The main features we all like to see improvements on are and this is taking all types of photography into consideration: Resolution, Speed (fps), ISO performance, Dynamic Range, Auto Focus, weather-sealing.

Sure there are a ton of other things but, if there is a marked improvement, in any of those features that I mentioned above, over the current 7D then you may feel like you made a bad decision to buy a 7D now.  I'm not going to say that I don't think the new 7D will be a vastly improved because I definitely didn't see 61pt AF coming on the 5d3, but I also didn't see that price either.  So if we are surprised with by how great a 7D replacement spec list looks, get ready to be shocked by the price.  So, with all that said, buying a 7D especially if you are able to get it at a bargain will not be a bad move, and I don't see you regretting it.

The only point in waiting until after photokina would be to hope for another price drop on the 7D.  I've seen it as low as $1349 USD body only, its at $1449 right now.  If it gets any cheaper I'll be buying one myself. 

But obviously if money is no object go buy a 1DX and be done with it!

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:44:29 AM »
What new camera are you afraid of appearing?

7D Mark II? Nope.
6D? Nope - well even if it is announced, you won't be able to buy it this year.
70D? Maybe but nobody really knows for sure what its specs will be.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »
If your 500D is still servicable I would wait a little while.

I have no knowledge or information on what will be round the next corner or two, but if there is anything we shall be told at photokina.

The 7D is great, and will remain a great camera in and of its own right.

The traditional x0D market segment has been dumbed down and squeezed by the 7D above and now the 650D below, maybe something new and special is due to replace the 60D?

As an earlier poster commented, the most surprising thing about the 5D3 over the 5D2 was the price hike.
It went from aspiring / amateur money to almost 1D territory money (and almost 1D performance to go with it, to be fair)

I would wait.  The 7D might become even better value after photokina, or you may have a clearer way ahead.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 12:02:07 PM »
1.  If the 7D is spec'd for what you need, I would buy now because I think the new 7D firmware strongly suggests it will be some time before there is a direct replacement. 

2.  If a 60D is in align with your needs, then I would wait for Photokina to see if the 70D is announced.  I would also expect it to be similar to 60D, no AFMA, build, etc. 

3.  As far as the new rumored "entry" FF, I think this is an apple and oranges comparison.   I view going FF as a "switch to" as opposed to an "upgrade."

How about keeping your 500D for range (assuming AF is sufficient), and wait for the entry FF announcement. 

JPL_1020

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions and thoughts from either 7D owners or people probably in the same boat as me, who are unsure if they should upgrade to a 7D now or wait until after photokina, in case a new camera comes out?

I have a 500D now, however I've out grown it and looking for a more versatile camera.
Thanks for our comments!

If you're not shooting commercially and you dont have upcoming projects that requires a more versatile camera, then the best thing to do is wait. The only downside is that, the availability of a newly announced product may come later than sooner. Thats the only reason why I would think people would prefer to get one thats readily available in the market. But if you have huge patience... might as well wait as it usually leads to a happy ending. :)

mortadella

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for our comments!

If you're not shooting commercially and you dont have upcoming projects that requires a more versatile camera, then the best thing to do is wait. The only downside is that, the availability of a newly announced product may come later than sooner. Thats the only reason why I would think people would prefer to get one thats readily available in the market. But if you have huge patience... might as well wait as it usually leads to a happy ending. :)

What about the people that held out for a year or more waiting for a 5d3 and then couldn't afford it, or decided at that price they'd rather invest it other ways like lenses etc.

There are many downsides to waiting for the unknown.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:55:25 PM »
What about the people that held out for a year or more waiting for a 5d3 and then couldn't afford it, or decided at that price they'd rather invest it other ways like lenses etc.

There are many downsides to waiting for the unknown.
How are those downsides? Those people still could get a 5dII (and $500 cheaper than they would have a year earlier), or, they had a bunch of money saved for great lenses. And they were able to wait because they didn't need the camera. If it affects your business and income, then the decision is easy.

I'd say wait for a few reasons. The first is that something new could be announced that you'll want (6D, 70D, etc). The second is because the 7D is gonna be around for a while, so, its not like you are gonna miss out on it by waiting. Third, the best deals on cameras come in the holiday season. Last year, Canon was doing body/lens combos that were HUGE savings, so waiting til November for the 7D might save you a few hundred bucks.

If you look at the price chart from last year, the body price dropped $200+ from Sept to Dec: http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/02849/Canon-EOS-7D-price.html

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for our comments!

wait on it. The 7D is a good camera but will be replaced soon.

Patience is a virtue, Impatience is an expensive commodity.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »