December 22, 2014, 03:44:30 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?  (Read 20766 times)

JPL_1020

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D: Buy now or wait?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted some opinions and thoughts from either 7D owners or people probably in the same boat as me, who are unsure if they should upgrade to a 7D now or wait until after photokina, in case a new camera comes out?

I have a 500D now, however I've out grown it and looking for a more versatile camera.
Thanks for our comments!

If you're not shooting commercially and you dont have upcoming projects that requires a more versatile camera, then the best thing to do is wait. The only downside is that, the availability of a newly announced product may come later than sooner. Thats the only reason why I would think people would prefer to get one thats readily available in the market. But if you have huge patience... might as well wait as it usually leads to a happy ending. :)

What about the people that held out for a year or more waiting for a 5d3 and then couldn't afford it, or decided at that price they'd rather invest it other ways like lenses etc.

There are many downsides to waiting for the unknown.

Waiting does not necessarily mean you're going to buy the new product... It opens you to a better option and decision that alleviate regrets in the end.  ::) :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 02:44:37 PM »

GEEo

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »
I wus on the same situation as you a couple weeks ago.

I couldn't wait any longer for the MKII (if theres is one coming) so I decided to just pick up the 7D now.

Very happy with the Camera.

If you can wait what Canon releases in Photokina then wait. but if you can't, go ahead and pick the 7D now. you can't go wrong either way.

;D

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »
Canon has just released new firmware for 7D

If 7dII was just around the corner why would they bother. In all likelyhood dont expect it to appear for another year.

Buy now
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »
I would suggest buy now if you have the funds esp as others have said a 7dII is unlikely since the recent firmware release.

A 7d will hold its value very well - you can always sell it 1-2 years time if something more suitable gets released.

Also, do invest in some quality glass too  :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
wait on it. The 7D is a good camera but will be replaced soon.

Wrong. It will not be replaced "soon" and some even doubt if it will be replaced at all.

DB

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »

Wrong. It will not be replaced "soon" and some even doubt if it will be replaced at all.

+1 just look at the CR thread on an October announcement for a 6D (possible 22MP FF body likely to be priced in the $2k to $2.5k range based on Canon's recent pricing policy).

Those who tell you to wait are not looking at the big picture, for instance, IF (not when or WILL) the current 7D is replaced, then this raises new questions regarding whether or not the 7D mk 1 will be discontinued or not, if not, then this could only be down to a substantial price hike, thus leaving the 7D1 in the model range alongside a newer 7D2 (like the 5D2 and the 5D3). Alternatively, if the current 7D is phased out of the model line, then prices are likely to INCREASE as dealers inventories run down and availability (Supply) diminishes.

This is precisely what occurred with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens. Everyone on CR said "Don't buy the old 24-70mm, wait and keep your cash for the new 24-70mm Mk II" (which by the way are still as hard to find in dealer stores as a Yeti). I pulled the trigger on the older standard zoom L lens last Christmas and I could sell it today for between +30% to +50% more than I paid for it (one grand last December 23).

Finally, a lot of the previous comments assume you have thousands to spend and/or have the luxury of time to wait indefinitely on a company (Canon) who have a track record of announcing (late) then not delivering to schedule. If you have got a few grand to spend then go and get yourself a 5D3, but if you're on a budget like me, get the 7D, use it, and hey it if you have to sell it 6 months to 1 year down the road, well... you might lose 50 to 100 bucks on it....money well spent.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 03:20:26 AM »

+1 just look at the CR thread on an October announcement for a 6D (possible 22MP FF body likely to be priced in the $2k to $2.5k range based on Canon's recent pricing policy).

Those who tell you to wait are not looking at the big picture, for instance, IF (not when or WILL) the current 7D is replaced, then this raises new questions regarding whether or not the 7D mk 1 will be discontinued or not, if not, then this could only be down to a substantial price hike, thus leaving the 7D1 in the model range alongside a newer 7D2 (like the 5D2 and the 5D3). Alternatively, if the current 7D is phased out of the model line, then prices are likely to INCREASE as dealers inventories run down and availability (Supply) diminishes.

This is precisely what occurred with the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens. Everyone on CR said "Don't buy the old 24-70mm, wait and keep your cash for the new 24-70mm Mk II" (which by the way are still as hard to find in dealer stores as a Yeti). I pulled the trigger on the older standard zoom L lens last Christmas and I could sell it today for between +30% to +50% more than I paid for it (one grand last December 23).

Finally, a lot of the previous comments assume you have thousands to spend and/or have the luxury of time to wait indefinitely on a company (Canon) who have a track record of announcing (late) then not delivering to schedule. If you have got a few grand to spend then go and get yourself a 5D3, but if you're on a budget like me, get the 7D, use it, and hey it if you have to sell it 6 months to 1 year down the road, well... you might lose 50 to 100 bucks on it....money well spent.

"Soon" is relative. In the standard canon 4 year cycle, the 7D is already 75% thru its life as the flagship aps-c camera, couple the pressure nikon is putting on canon, I can't see the 7D holding on for much longer. It would be quite disappointing to have digital rot on a camera you may have bought only a few months ago.

You mileage may vary, but I could see a 70D in the near future for less.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 03:20:26 AM »

trygved

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 05:57:17 AM »
Should you wait for a better camera, in the time it takes for that said camera to come out you'll be tipped on another better camera.
My motto is hunt for the best deal now, and when you're looking to upgrade, sell to somebody who doesn't search as hard as you do. There will always be that person, and the loss you may take will be minimal and worth the time for which you've used the equipment.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »

I expect the the 70D will follow the specs more closely from the 60D than the 7D.  No AFMA, etc., etc.

Immaculens

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
I'd wait to see what the 60D replacement looks like before pulling the 7D trigger.

the new 650D just inherited the 'older' 40D/50D/60D cross-type focus system which clears the way for the new 60D replacement to inherit something similar to the current 7D AF system. Yummy.

The 60D replacement (no guarantee it will be called the 70D... could be 65D or 60D mkII for all we know) starting block will be the 650D specs but with better AF system, maybe digic5+, hopefully lens microadjust like the 50D had...

Yet - the 7D will have to still have appeal over the 60D replacement or why buy the 7D... unless Canon is willing to accept that and offer a new wow model...

the new 7D's FW 2.0 was put out mainly, IMO, so the premium 7D owners would not feel 100% jilted when the new 60D replacement comes out

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:50 PM »

I expect the the 70D will follow the specs more closely from the 60D than the 7D.  No AFMA, etc., etc.

Expect the un-expected. The 70D will be the 7D and the 7Dmk2 will be a new camera. When their released, the 7D prices will plummet, which is an even better reason to wait.

Patience is a virtue, Impatience is an expensive commodity. The only time I would buy a 7D body now is if the price is around 800-900$, as to minimize the loss when the newer models are released.

Patience snagged me my 5D3 for 3,099 Non-grey market, USA warranty, brand New.

If you don't need it, but want it, Waiting is worth it.  If you need it, your not asking this question.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:39:51 PM by RLPhoto »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 06:47:24 AM »

Expect the un-expected. The 70D will be the 7D and the 7Dmk2 will be a new camera. When their released, the 7D prices will plummet, which is an even better reason to wait.

Repeat, there is no guarantee that the 7D MkII will ever come about. There have even been rumors saying that it is a one off.

Patience is nice but neither time nor the world waits.

What do I mean by that?

I saw an amazing sunset the other night but I didn't have a camera with me. There's no order book in nature to say "give me another one of those tomorrow night when I'm ready." Rinse and repeat throughout life in everything from the big to the small.

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »
Generally people advocate that you buy now, on these boards. The idea being that life goes on, and if you need it now, then you need it now. The problem with this is that there is no shortage of camera resources in the world today. So not having a 7D probably doesn't mean you won't be taking pictures.

My policy has been to wait, and since Canon has been releasing refreshers on equipment very frequently it's been a good policy. I also got an eye on the 7D for wildlife photography, and I'm happy to wait.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 08:08:44 AM »

DB

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »

Patience is a virtue, Impatience is an expensive commodity. The only time I would buy a 7D body now is if the price is around 800-900$, as to minimize the loss when the newer models are released.

Patience snagged me my 5D3 for 3,099 Non-grey market, USA warranty, brand New.

If you don't need it, but want it, Waiting is worth it.  If you need it, your not asking this question.

Who says the 7D prices will plummet? What do you know that the rest of us do not? You use the word 'WILL' in a positive statement instead of a normative one. It might fall, or perhaps it should fall if a new similarly priced (operative word there was the same price) 70D or 7D2 is released. Then again, Canon's policy is to bump up the price by at least 50% for newer models (just look at price gaps between T2i and T3i and T4i or the fact that the 5D3 costs 2x price of a 5D2).

I would love to have a serious money bet with you on the price of the 7D for early-2013, I could use my winnings to buy another L lens.

RLPhoto

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »

Repeat, there is no guarantee that the 7D MkII will ever come about. There have even been rumors saying that it is a one off.

Patience is nice but neither time nor the world waits.

What do I mean by that?

I saw an amazing sunset the other night but I didn't have a camera with me. There's no order book in nature to say "give me another one of those tomorrow night when I'm ready." Rinse and repeat throughout life in everything from the big to the small.

Do you seriously believe that canon, one of the largest camera manufacturers in the world, is not going to ever replace there flagship APS-C camera with a newer model any time in the future? Either it be a 70D or a 7D2 or some other model number? Because that's what your implying.

On the sunset, no camera on the planet would have mattered if you forgot it.

As for prices plummeting, simple example.

5D2 prices before 5D3 - 2200$+

5d2 prices after 5D3 - 1500$+

Get the picture?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:45:36 AM by RLPhoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »