Just wanted some opinions and thoughts from either 7D owners or people probably in the same boat as me, who are unsure if they should upgrade to a 7D now or wait until after photokina, in case a new camera comes out?
I have a 500D now, however I've out grown it and looking for a more versatile camera.
Thanks for our comments!
wait on it. The 7D is a good camera but will be replaced soon.
Patience is a virtue, Impatience is an expensive commodity.
A slightly different take on this:
What is your opportunity cost of not upgrading?
For a professional photographer, that is more quantifiable (e.g. high revenue through upgrading, or losing jobs/greater risk through not upgrading - e.g. current camera or current backup body breaks.) - if you can tick those boxes, it is worth upgrading.
Outside of the professional sphere, it is harder to put a dollar value to the opportunity cost. You probably want to ask yourself how much better you believe the output of the new camera will be. Secondly, are you planning a once in a lifetime experience, which you are wanting to photograph - e.g. trip to the Antarctic where you need a sealed body. Alternatively, are you being creatively limited by your current camera. e.g Do you take photos in the wet/rain, do you shoot action (need better AF).
If you can't tick those boxes, it becomes totally an emotional decision, and you ask yourself if you have money to burn. - Canon's current APS-C sensor is more than half way, probably closer to three quarters of the way through its life cycle, so it is worth speculating that Canon will introduce a new APS-C sensor in the next 12 to 18 months. If you can hold on with the upgrade you can skip a generation of sensors and have a camera that won't be superseded for a good 3 to 4 years. I would not use the sensor as the reason to upgrade now, but probably rather look at other characteristics which the 7D has which the XX0D line doesn't (sealing, better AF, higher fps, AFMA, etc.)